Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #1

'07 American Lifan LF200GY-5 problem

Is anyone here familiar with the counterbalanced engine used in the '07 American Lifan LF200GY-5? I have one with almost 30,000 klms on it, all mine. A few thousand klms ago, it started making a loud knocking noise. I removed the right engine sidecover (clutch cover), and quickly found the problem. Just forward of the clutch assembly is a doorknob looking thing with a cap on it. The cap is held on with 3 phillips screws. The whole thing was loose, which was what was making the noise. I removed the 3 screws, removed the cap, there is a gasket under it. The other part of this thing is bolted onto the end of a shaft with a weird looking concave nut and washer. A regular socket will not fit it. I took everything apart, cleaned everything with contact cleaner, put it back together with red LokTite, and tightened it as tight as I could get it with needle nose visegrips. It lasted for a couple thousand klms, and came loose again. Does anybody know what this thing is? I think it is part of the balancer assembly, somebody else told me it is part of the oil pump. It doesn't look like an oil pump to me. Does anybody know where to get a socket that will fit this nut? If not, I may be able to make one. Also, does anybody know what the torque should be on this nut? The bike runs fine except for this problem. Thanks, Jerry.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #2

Ask the same question on the American Lifan forum, just in case no one can help you here.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #3

Wow, 30,000 klm. That puts you in the high mileage crowd.

Sorry, can't help though.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #4

That's correct it's the centrifugal oil filter, Honda have used this design since the 60's. There is a special socket (from Honda or good bike shop) to tighten it, but most people cut up an old socket. It wants to be TIGHT!

Jonathan.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

Honda Oil filter and clutch hub spanner

This is the Honda tool for the centrifugal oil filters. It's also used for some clutch hubs, like the old Honda Cubs:

Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy