Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Banned

Doh! CSC Western USA Tour

Yesterday while visiting and reading the CSC Blog I noticed that JOE BERK lead the tour down US 101 Hwy while traveling between San Francisco and Santa Maria, CA. I was amazed that he would bypass one of the most sought after motorcycling roads in California, the USA and the World! U.S. Hwy 1 between San Francisco and San Luis Obispo, CA. The views, scenery and winding curvy road rivals anything in the territory they previously traveled through.
Instead they rode mainly freeway type roads at 75mph while traveling South on the next to last leg of their journey! Flat straight multiple lanes of boring concrete roads with lots and lots of autos and trucks. Boredom!!! Not to mention Dangerous!
So maybe on their next "adventure tour ride" they'll actually travel on a "world class" segment of highway, i.e. U.S. Hwy 1 between San Francisco and San Luis Obispo!
One can only hope.

Last edited by pismocycleguy; 08-08-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: I accidentally misspelled JOEY's name!

Old 08-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #2

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

It's tough to plan a 5,000 mile trip and get all the best routes. That's why it is always nice to get input from the locals, if possible. However, if you need to plan a trip for a large group of riders on relatively short notice, it's not always possible to solicit all the best roads.

Thanks for letting me know about Highway 1 between San Franciso and San Luis Obispo; I plan not to miss it the next time I am in the area.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
Yesterday while visiting and reading the CSC Blog I noticed that Joe Beck lead the tour down US 101 Hwy while traveling between San Francisco and Santa Maria, CA. I was amazed that he would bypass one of the most sought after motorcycling roads in California, the USA and the World! U.S. Hwy 1 between San Francisco and San Luis Obispo, CA. The views, scenery and winding curvy road rivals anything in the territory they previously traveled through.
Instead they rode mainly freeway type roads at 75mph while traveling South on the next to last leg of their journey! Flat straight multiple lanes of boring concrete roads with lots and lots of autos and trucks. Boredom!!! Not to mention Dangerous!
So maybe on their next "adventure tour ride" they'll actually travel on a "world class" segment of highway, i.e. U.S. Hwy 1 between San Francisco and San Luis Obispo!
One can only hope.
Thanks for the inputs, Pismo. Actually, I've ridden the stretch of road you suggested several times and while parts of it are nice, it didn't begin to compare with much of the rest of our ride. I always felt it was too crowded with tourists. No way it compares to the Oregon Coast Highway, Utah's Highway 12, Arizona Highway 89, and many of the other roads we rode.

One can do more than hope. One can get out and ride their RX3. Several owners did and they rode with us for large portions of the ride. We were happy to have them along. Perhaps the next time we do this you can ride with us.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #4
Banned

CSCDude,
I have ridden most of the highways of your recent Western USA Tour, and except for the coastal roads of California, Oregon, Washington and the hill surrounding Sturgis, I wasn't really that impressed. And National Parks are usually crowded with tourists. I don't really enjoy riding arrow straight roads in hot desert country, but I do really enjoy mountainous curvy roads in forests and near lakes, rivers and bodies of water. I make it a challenge to arrive at my destination without traveling on freeways and major highways. It's a challenge, but the ride is worth it, and a lot more interesting and enjoyable.
I still believe riding down Hwy 101 from San Francisco to Azusa is not very exciting or interesting. Might as well take the train.