Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #1

Coolster 3150dx

Finally got the new Coolster setup. Haven't started it yet but hopefully there's no issue when I give it it's first crank tomorrow! With the lack of instructions, I hope I mounted everything right. In pictures below, there's quite a few bolts, nuts and washers left. Also, the seat will NOT clip on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9671.jpg (94.3 KB, 657 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9672.jpg (97.4 KB, 659 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9673.jpg (96.1 KB, 628 views)

Old 02-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Thumbs Up

Good Job. Looks like the K-9 crew is giving it the once over......

I had ALOT more extra nuts and bolts than that. I consider them spares and have used as such. If you look/listen hard enough you will find where the rubber washers can go to decrease vibration/noise.

Have you changed the "oil" that came in the engine? I changed both the oil and gear oil before first run.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #3

Like the Black Not sure if you got the Manual I emailed you. File may have been to big to send. Looks like you did a good job figuring out. Yeah I had lots of spare bolts, nuts and washers. Looking at the pictures it looks like the rear wheels don't have the offset anymore so you can flip them for a wider wheel base. Someone else on here said his didn't have the offset.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

My Rhino seat didn't want to clip on either. I had to reformat the clip area a little. Just work with it and you'll get it. Mine still doesn't "clip" on, I need to reach under and push the latch some. It stays locked on though.

Note how the front wheels don't turn evenly and point (bump steer) at full lock. You may need to flip the inner tie rods. It helps.

Living proof a guy with a Beemer and MBZ can still be a China Rider! Welcome!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #5

Extra parts are to be expected, it seems. I had to bend the seat clip on one of mine to make it work. And I also flipped the tire rods as suggested above. Big difference.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

I had to bend my seat clip on the Rhino too. Looks sharp in Black... that was my second choice... was my first choice but kept flip flopping on it. Grrrr now I want a black one.

Don't forget to change your oils before starting it.. I know broken record, but it's important.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Like the Black Not sure if you got the Manual I emailed you. File may have been to big to send. Looks like you did a good job figuring out. Yeah I had lots of spare bolts, nuts and washers. Looking at the pictures it looks like the rear wheels don't have the offset anymore so you can flip them for a wider wheel base. Someone else on here said his didn't have the offset.
Thanks Jerry! The instruction you emailed did help! And not sure what it means to flip the rear wheels. Switch it to the opposite side where the air tube is on the inside instead of facing outside?

@Swampy yes! The K-9 unit has to inspect this new object that has entered their home lol. And that's why I haven't started it yet, waiting until the weekend so I can change oil and switch spark plug to one of those ngk ones. I used 15w40 in my taotao so I'm guessing it should be the same for this.

@2LZ and @Numbrseven I will definitely be YouTubing how to flip the tire rods tonight... and yes, even a guy with a bimmer and benz rocks with the Chinese atv's

Just got my little GoPro mount to install on the atv so I may be flooding the forums with more pics and vids soon

Old 02-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #9

I'm glad I was able to help. If your rim are offset rims you can flip them so the valves are on the inside. This will give a few more inches in width on the rear.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

Any of you guys know how to adjust the hand/parking/front brake lever? It's extra hard to press and won't go far. So you can't pull it back to push the button that engages the hold to keep it in park.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #11

Coolster 3150DX2 Vs. TaoTao 125F1

Ok, I partially fixed the tight hand/front brake by crewing the adjusters on the brake line all the way in. The brake is still a little tight but now I can squeeze it far in enough to get the button pushed in and lock the brake.

Today I finally got to ride both atv's for hours and love them! I have to say I think the Coolster 3150DX2 is much bigger and more quiet than the TaoTao 125F1. All I did with the Coolster is change the oil before the first use today with Shell Rotella T4 15w40 and I used fresh 89 Mid-Grade unleaded gas. And the Coolster started instantly each time with one short press on the button. The only issues I have with the Coolster is the seat latch isn't latching, the front park brake lever is too tight/hard to press and the rear/foot brake is slow to respond when riding.

As for the TaoTao which I had to change the carb on earlier this week (today was my 3rd time riding it since I got it), It did take a few times to start today and was like this each time I turned it off and back again. I changed the carb, used same oil as the Coolster and used 87 Regular unleaded Gas which may have been a little old sitting in the gas tank which I used on my lawn mower (not sure if this is the issue?). I also replaced spark plug with an NGK C7HSA and brand new battery. A big problem I have now and I did find the 2 times I rode the TaoTao is when switching from neutral to reverse or 1st gear or revers back up to neutral, it's a nightmare. I have to sit there stomping on the lever repeatedly . But if i'm riding and switch between the 3 gears (1,2 and 3), it switches on the first try but it changes with a big kick. I should also mention that I didn't adjust anything on the aftermarket carb I got for the TaoTao. The mixture screw is default and I did fiddle a bit with the idle screw to get it to idle lower.

Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow so I can ride some more . On those issues above, if any of you fellas can suggest anything, please do so. I will leave a pic of these bad boys below taken after our tour around our neighborhood trails today!

P.S they look clean because we drove thru a few large puddles of water on the trails on our way back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9713.jpg (91.2 KB, 611 views)

Old 02-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #12

Is the TaoTao a 125cc semi auto? Does it have the clutch adjustment screw on the side case of the engine?

/

Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Is the TaoTao a 125cc semi auto? Does it have the clutch adjustment screw on the side case of the engine?

/
I Actually just came across this video and just came back inside after adjusting that screw. Too bad I can't test it out right now since it's after 11pm and don't want to make too much noise for the neighbors . Will do first thing in the morning tho.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #14

The way I did it with the bike running I believe in neutral back the screw off a few turns. Then slowly advance the screw until you feel something in the screw, I believe its the clutch plates start to touch. As soon as you get that feeling back the screw up no more than 1/4 turn. Just barely back it off from that touchy feeling. Tighten down the lock nut and try it out. Once you get the hang of it you can fine tune it to how you like it.

/

Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
The way I did it with the bike running I believe in neutral back the screw off a few turns. Then slowly advance the screw until you feel something in the screw, I believe its the clutch plates start to touch. As soon as you get that feeling back the screw up no more than 1/4 turn. Just barely back it off from that touchy feeling. Tighten down the lock nut and try it out. Once you get the hang of it you can fine tune it to how you like it.

/
Did that today a few times (while running and not running). But still had the same issue randomly. Sometimes it worked fine and other times we sat there kicking that lever repeatedly. The weird thing is it happens only when switching between reverse and neutral and neutral to 1st. Also, the gear kicks pretty hard while driving and switching to 2nd and 3rd gear. And I'm not sure the correct way to downshift. If I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear and the atv is slowing down and moving slow and I down shift, I can hear the gears scraping or slipping or something. Whatever it is doesn't sound right.

The coolster on the other hand which is manual, jerks and kicks and I hear clanking sounds possibly where the gears are at when I just start it. But after riding for a few seconds, it goes away. If you stop it and chill for a while and start back riding, it starts back doing it again. Both units have a lot of power tho. I see people on YouTube saying theirs can barely get up their driveway. But I have a huge hill in the back of my house (with lots of leaves, branches, rocks and tree stumps to maneuver around) which leads to our trail and it climbs it without stumbling as long as you keep on the throttle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9724.jpg (93.4 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9712.jpg (97.6 KB, 674 views)