Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #1

Coolster 150 will not turn over

Hey guys, I'm back! I bought my kids 2 Coolster 150's for Christmas and 1 of them only ran about 5 hours total since then. Only 1 kid has shown any interest in the ATV's so I haven't messed with it much... til now. From the very beginning the ATV wouldn't turn over with the start button. I could only crank it by shorting out the solenoid. Now that is not working either. It doesn't turn over or make any sound whatsoever when I try shorting out the solenoid. The battery is charged. I tried to start it with the kickstarter, but that thing is worthless I have replaced solenoid, but that did not fix it. What would you try next?

Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

OK, I went out to try some things: I took the light switch/start button housing apart and I found a broken wire at the solder connection. It was the solid brown wire that looks like it connects to the light switch - all the way at the top of the switch. But the lights worked even when it was disconnected. Anyway, I reconnected that wire and tried to crank it. No such luck. What does that brown wire do? While I was in there, I ohmed out the start button and it seems to work fine. OL when not pressed - Ohm reading when pressed ( I think it was around 4 ohms?). Just for funsies I swapped out the voltage regulator, cdi, coil, battery and solenoid from my other working ATV. Made no difference. No clicking, not turning over, no nothing.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

Can you confirm battery voltage at the starter while cranking ? I don't know your bike specifically ,so is there any safety switches in the circuits like kick stand switch ,clutch switch ,brake switch ,neutral safety ?how about a fuse more than likely near the battery ?have you checked the ground cables to make sure they are clean ,tight ,and sound ?you say the kickstarter is worthless ,did the bike kick over at all ,or could the engine be seized ? There are a million things that can go wrong with these bikes ,it is going to take some legwork on your part to figure it out ,but it shouldn't be too complicated for someone who knows how to use a meter .

Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #4

Replaced the solenoid again. It now cranks using a screwdriver to short out the solenoid.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

There are only 2 safety switches, one on the foot break and one on the hand break. Try engaging both while pushing the start button. Check fuse at battery. Check that all grounds are good. Are you getting power( yellow/green wire) at the relay when pushing the start button.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #6

The wire connectors at the hand brake had both came loose. Such a simple fix! I decided to go ahead and change the oil even though it's only got 5 hours on it. I was changing the other's oil anyway. Good thing I did, because the crankcase was FULL of gasoline! I preach to the kids to turn the fuel off after every ride, but I guess sitting so long enough fuel was able to leak past the valve. Something to keep an eye on.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbrseven View Post
The wire connectors at the hand brake had both came loose. Such a simple fix! I decided to go ahead and change the oil even though it's only got 5 hours on it. I was changing the other's oil anyway. Good thing I did, because the crankcase was FULL of gasoline! I preach to the kids to turn the fuel off after every ride, but I guess sitting so long enough fuel was able to leak past the valve. Something to keep an eye on.
Glad you got it fix. That was one of the 1st things I taught my daughter to do. Also had to teacher to turn it back on before riding. When it would die on her she would come to me a tell me it stopped. My answer would be did you forget to do something? She would give me that look and say never mind. lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel