Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Did you tell him about the CDI? That would be covered under warranty.
I did. He went straight to the carb problem and ignored the cdi. If I fix the carb today I'm not gonna worry about warranty parts. But if he's sending me a carb he might as well throw the $5 cdi in the box too.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbrseven View Post
Don suggested to tap on the carburetor with a screwdriver after draining the bowl. He said it may take 2 or 3 tries but that will usually free up the crap. I also used a screened funnel and fuel filter. Lotta good it did huh? :-)
I'm not sure about the coating he's talking about but what I have seen on far more than one occasion is:
1- Gunk in the tank on a new bike(s) getting sucked into the pilot jet and float bowl.
2- The cheap (brand new) rubber hoses break down internally and then deposit the micro chunks into the float bowl and pilot jet.

Take a flashlight to the tank and make sure there's nothing foreign floating around the bottom.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #48

It's alive! I still need a cdi to have them both running at one time though. Aaaand I found a new problem lol. Today was the first time I ever rode the broken atv myself. When riding, the front end feels squirrely. I tried to make some adjustments to the tie rods but it doesn't seem to have helped. I jacked the front end off the ground and there's no wiggle in the wheels. Spun the wheels by hand and the rims seem straight, or at least as straight as on the other atv. Now what?

Old 12-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #49

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14105

I haven't had this problem but it may explain what you are experiencing.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:40 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14105

I haven't had this problem but it may explain what you are experiencing.
Bump steer! That's exactly what's happening. I'll check this out tomorrow. Thank you!

Old 12-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #51

Good find Swampy! Yep, bump steer. Flip the tie rod ends as explained in the attached thread. Makes a world of difference.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #52

Dave made me so happy with that post! I had that quad for years before Dave pointed out the error.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Dave made me so happy with that post! I had that quad for years before Dave pointed out the error.
Mine are in fact mounted that way. One upside down. But they're like that on both atv's and only 1 is experiencing the problem. I'm going to flip them both upside down on the bad one though. If that fixes it I'll flip them on the good one too. Just for fun lol.
The replacement CDI I received has the pins 90 degrees different from what I need so I can only have one atv running at a time until I get that sorted out.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #54

Today's update:
I flipped the inner tie rod ends so that they are on top, pointing down. The outer ends are already on top. They seem to be precariously close to the ends of their threads in this position. The bump steer did seem to improve, but it's definitely still a little squirrely. I'll get my dad to help me align the front end a little better tomorrow. Perhaps that's all it needs. IDK.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Today's update:
I flipped the inner tie rod ends so that they are on top, pointing down. The outer ends are already on top. They seem to be precariously close to the ends of their threads in this position. The bump steer did seem to improve, but it's definitely still a little squirrely. I'll get my dad to help me align the front end a little better tomorrow. Perhaps that's all it needs. IDK.
I encourage you to not think of the tie rod ends as right side up or upside down; rather, focus on what provides the best geometry for your quad. On mine, the solution was to mount both ends on the top side, pointing down; I guarantee that my quad is quite different from yours.

The bottom line is that the tie rod must follow a similar arc to that of the control arms. The best way to illustrate that is to place the front of the quad on a jack stand and then remove the shocks. When you cycle the control arms up and down, the wheel should remain pointed straight ahead. It is possible that your tie rod ends might be better installed from the bottom, pointing up. If the best performance is found with the tie rod ends on top, be sure to use some red Loctite on the jam nuts to prevent them from ever loosening as you ride.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #56

Point taken. Upside down in relation to one another, I didn't mean upside down to indicate it as being wrong. After adjustments today I feel like it's dialed in pretty decently. Both ends of both tie rod ends are now installed on top pointing down. Since the other atv rides fine I left it as it came, with the inner toe rod end on bottom pointed up. The new cdi will be here Wednesday. Then just maybe we can ride both 4 wheelers at the same time!

Old 01-02-2017, 11:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I encourage you to not think of the tie rod ends as right side up or upside down; rather, focus on what provides the best geometry for your quad. On mine, the solution was to mount both ends on the top side, pointing down; I guarantee that my quad is quite different from yours.

The bottom line is that the tie rod must follow a similar arc to that of the control arms. The best way to illustrate that is to place the front of the quad on a jack stand and then remove the shocks. When you cycle the control arms up and down, the wheel should remain pointed straight ahead. It is possible that your tie rod ends might be better installed from the bottom, pointing up. If the best performance is found with the tie rod ends on top, be sure to use some red Loctite on the jam nuts to prevent them from ever loosening as you ride.
WOW, well said

I am constantly amazed at the level of expertise found on this site.

If we all put our heads together I think we could make a Mars adventure course we might murder each other by the time we arrive.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 AM   #58

If they don't have motorcycles on Mars, I'm not going!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 01-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #59

Quote:
Point taken. Upside down in relation to one another, I didn't mean upside down to indicate it as being wrong. After adjustments today I feel like it's dialed in pretty decently. Both ends of both tie rod ends are now installed on top pointing down. Since the other atv rides fine I left it as it came, with the inner toe rod end on bottom pointed up. The new cdi will be here Wednesday. Then just maybe we can ride both 4 wheelers at the same time!
Numbrseven, it appears that you're making an excellent China Rider! Keep it up!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
If they don't have motorcycles on Mars, I'm not going!
That would be a hindrance for sure......kinda like oxygen, water and not having to live underground to avoid the solar radiation. All deterrence to me.......but I'm a wuss. ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200