Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to 5star
Head pipe smoking normal?

Today I saw smoke coming out of the bike I thought it was the engine but saw that it was the head pipe smoking for the first couple feet. Its only 2 days old and the header came black. Is it just the black paint burning?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #2

It's just the paint burning 5star. It will get a funny 'plastic burning' smell to it also sometimes. Don't worry it will go away after you ride it a few miles.

Double check to make sure there are no wires touching the head pipe. Other than that you should be O.K.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #3

I put 40 miles on n it still smokes

Old 07-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #4

Might have been something on it that is taking some time to burn off..Perhaps for shipping across the ocean.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #5

Mine took about 100 miles. Also check to make sure the head pipe to cylinder buts are tight. They work loose fast.

Allen

Old 07-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #6

Most likely your engine is running way to lean, since you gutted the muffler the jetting is way off. Be warned if you don't re-jet the carburetor you Will Burn up that new engine.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 07-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
Most likely your engine is running way to lean, since you gutted the muffler the jetting is way off. Be warned if you don't re-jet the carburetor you Will Burn up that new engine.
Yeah I know. I just dont know where to buy jets for this carb. I dont even know what this carb all has in it if its like a real carb or not. I'll probably adj the needle to day. It already has valve problumes so it burns oil on start up. I have 2 temp readers on the motor and teh oil hasnt got over 150 yet. I tried to pull a wheelie last night and it bogged down almost stalling so jetting is defintly way off.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #8

OMG, yes it has a Real carburetor on it. I told you in another thread that I most likely have jets for your carburetor. There are no jet kits made for any of these Chinese bikes or designated {very few} aftermarket parts. 150 degrees for oil is not bad but what are your other engine temperatures at? If your head & cylinder temperatures are too high then you are in trouble. Oil temperature is not the only thing you need to worry about, metal temperature is very important also. I have been setting up racing bikes for years and I worry more about metal temperatures than oil temperatures. If your engine is smoking already you have done damage to it. You can't just do modifications or through parts at any motorcycle and expect it to be ok. Changing pipes, carburetors, cams, air filters etc. means you need to change everything for air/fuel intake to keep the engine running correctly. Do us another favor....get a Google tool bar, it has a spell checker on it and will spell check anything you type in your browser.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
OMG, yes it has a Real carburetor on it. I told you in another thread that I most likely have jets for your carburetor. There are no jet kits made for any of these Chinese bikes or designated {very few} aftermarket parts. 150 degrees for oil is not bad but what are your other engine temperatures at? If your head & cylinder temperatures are too high then you are in trouble. Oil temperature is not the only thing you need to worry about, metal temperature is very important also. I have been setting up racing bikes for years and I worry more about metal temperatures than oil temperatures. If your engine is smoking already you have done damage to it. You can't just do modifications or through parts at any motorcycle and expect it to be ok. Changing pipes, carburetors, cams, air filters etc. means you need to change everything for air/fuel intake to keep the engine running correctly. Do us another favor....get a Google tool bar, it has a spell checker on it and will spell check anything you type in your browser.
The head gets around 200 degrees. I already know about motor mods and correcting the jetting I built a few race motors but I could find jets instantly for them motors even the pocket bikes from china had jet kits. I have over 50 jets but I think their all to big for the carb since the smallest carb i had so far was a 37mm.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #10

I think jets for keihin carbs fit? Red has rejetted his. Look in the dualsport cross-reference parts for the jets. I know a link is in there.

Allen

Old 07-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #11

The main jet in mine is a 98. The pilot is a 40. I checked my jets and my smallest is like a 148 so none of mine will work but they did fit and their keihin.

I was wondering would I gain performance if I port the stock carb from the stock 30mm to like 32mm or is it already big enough? I think im going to port the intake and exhaust port soon to

Old 07-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #12

I don't know what to suggest size wise as that is beyond my level. I think it may benefit from a larger carb if you are serious about bumping up the power.

Allen

Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I don't know what to suggest size wise as that is beyond my level. I think it may benefit from a larger carb if you are serious about bumping up the power.

Allen
Well I think im going to port it all out. To day I took the header off and sanded all that black off it came of fall poedery so i think it might have been pc and then sanded the header smooth then polished it up so it looks about like chrome. Looks 10x better than b4 just have to keep water off it so it dont rust now. I also found that their is a really big lip in side the header that blocks alot of air flow so i ground that down smooth with my dremel.

I also removed the choke for a little better air flow. Now for starting I will probably have to put a bigger pilot in and then it should start in the cold.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #14

Do the streetbike use the same type of carb as the Dirt bikes? We have the slide type carbs with the cable running into the top. If so you can also raise the big needle in the carb by moving the c-clip to the bottom notch.

I have heard also that the header pipes have manufacturing chunks left in them blocking flow too. Is there a high temp clear coat paint that you can use to paint it.

Allen

Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Do the streetbike use the same type of carb as the Dirt bikes? We have the slide type carbs with the cable running into the top. If so you can also raise the big needle in the carb by moving the c-clip to the bottom notch.

I have heard also that the header pipes have manufacturing chunks left in them blocking flow too. Is there a high temp clear coat paint that you can use to paint it.

Allen

Yeah same carb. 99% sure its the same as the xr200r carb to. There is high temp clear coat 1500 degree but it cant stand the heat of a bike quad motor. I tried it before and it burns and flakes off. I polish alot of things even a whole frame and found that if yo uclear coat polished steel it looks the same as if it wasnt clear coated but if you clear coat polished aluminum the clear coat fogs the shine up really bad making it all blury.