Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #1

Want to get a scooter... need some advice

Gonna keep the Roketa DB07... But thinkin of trading/selling my crotch rocket, and getting a scooter to get around town on... I had the chance to ride a Qlink Legacy "motorcycle" it is a cruiser looking bike, but has the Honda Helix 250cc driveline. I liked it a lot.. never driven a twist and go bike before... gotta admit it was nice... and I am getting tired of the cramped crotch rocket.. and shifting... would like to just relax while riding.

I would like to find something that COULD go for short hops on the freeway. But it is not a requirement.

Debating on 50cc two stroke or bigger 4 stroke... I like the low maint aspect of the 2 stroke most are oil injected.. so just add oil... and I have seen some vids of people that have hopped them up to go prety fast.. way over 60MPH. But the 4 strokers seem to be taking over... and I think they are quieter.

The Kymco Super 9 fite this bill for the 2 stroker
Here is a pic of that one.

On the other hand I could get a Lifan LF150T-6 which is a 4 stroker for a good price... the info I have seen says it will do 60MPH.

Here is a pic of the Lifan LF150T-6

I am very mechanically inclined... so tearing into an engine to do upgrades does not scare me.

Anybody have any suggestions.... or comments.. Even if you think I am nuts.... It would be appreciated.
BTW the crotch rocket is an 84 Honda VF500 pictured here. It runs great.

Thanks

Ken

Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 AM   #2

I think you are nuts

"I am getting tired of the cramped crotch rocket.. and shifting... would like to just relax while riding. "

you could relax and not be cramped (still have to shift mind you) on a cruiser

Though a scooter would work for around town, not sure I would be wanting to take it on the freeway though.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
Is that new paint on the Honda or just well taken care of.It looks really good to be an '84.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:48 AM   #4

I figured you would think I am nuts..

Most cruisers I have sat on I found to be uncomfortable the other direction... TOO layed back. with the foot controls way out there. Plus I am really done with the shifting.. crap... Might just be i am getting old.. and lazy.. But really most times I take out the VF500.. I just end up lazily riding around enjoying being out in the air.

The other thing is that, my girlfriend could use the scooter much more easily than a bike.. she is short.. and HATES manual transmissions. And she works 2 miles from home.

If I was going to get cruiser I would get the Qlink Legacy... But it is $3K.

Both the scooters I listed can be had for under $2K... the Lifan is $1249 at Cycle Analyst... In Harrison In.. place is run by Ray Pope.. I really like the guy. He is easy going and tells it strait. Plus he is serious about being able to service what he sells. Here is the link to his shop.
http://cycle-analyst.com/index.htm

Thanks... I would still appreciate some input on which powertrain would be the best compromise.

Ken

Old 04-16-2007, 01:14 AM   #5

It's original paint.. The left faring has a crack in it.. But still looks good.

Ken

Old 04-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #6

i HAD a yamaha zuma 50cc 2-stroke scooter really fun to ride 35mph or less (unless going down hill) . a buddy of mine has one put a 70cc kit in it he said it only increased power like going up hill top speed was still 45 mph wot if you get a 50cc you will need to upgrade the cvt from what he said all the engine mods in the world will not boost top speed with out it

p.s. i may be the only one that doesn't think you are nuts scooters are loads of fun good luck

Old 04-16-2007, 02:01 AM   #7

Ken, I was only teasing, I have thought of scooters before too, as I think they could be fun, but I wouldn't want to trade my bike on it, I like my bikes

I will also have to agree your bike looks in great shape for it's age!

I don't really have any knowledge of the scooters though, so hopefully someone else can help you out (unless pumpkin already gave you the info you needed )

Both of the scooters you posted look pretty sharp too.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #8

I am a bit of a scooter freak and run a forum dedicated to the subject. The only 150 scooter that I would recommend for freeway hops and I mean short ones is the Qlink Pegasus. A liquid cooled 150 that is a well built high quality machine. Maybe $2400 at a dealer if you argue. Out of the box the one we reviewed did 69 mph (GPS verified) with under 300 miles on it so it was not broken in. Most air cooled 150cc scooters use the same GY6 engine and depending on the weight of the scoot are good for 53-60 mph flat out. Any incline at all and the speed drops proportionate to riders weight and incline. You can upgrade a 150 to run pretty fast but by the time you do that you should have bought the 250. There is no substitute for a good local dealer even if it costs you more. In the end it will be worth the expense. If you do not have a good dealer (or any) in your area be very careful who you buy from. There are 3 online vendors that we recommend. All have proven to be reliable and support the scoot after the sale. Jim from Bandit Motorsports www.bandit-motorsports.com John at Valley Scooters www.scootersus.com and Mike from Scootertronics www.scootertronics.com Of those three Bandit imports their own brand (manufactured by Taizou Zhongneng a very good privately held Chinese company they make many Baron Models as well). Jim also test runs each scoot before he ships it but you still have to put the wheel on and mirrors or for not much more it comes fully assembled test ridden and custom crated. He is starting to offer factory upgrades as well including cylinder kits as well. If you can afford a bit more scoot Dennis from CBXMAN Motorcycles www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com offers Kymco, Daelim, Qlink, and some others online but only to areas not served by a dealer of that particular brand. His scoots are shipped fully assembled and test ridden only... full dealer prep. Costs a little more but Dennis is amazing at after the sale service. I did see the Qlink Pegasus available on www.brandshut.com for under $1900 but in the crate no prep no support. You said you're handy so maybe this appeals to you. The V3 and V5 you mentioned are fabulous machines. The Qlink has their own people there when CFMOTO does the production runs of the Qlink. All those clones are made by CFMOTO. There is a full review of a V3 on our homepage at www.scootdawg.com by Jacine Smith a very talented and knowledgeable young lady.

Whew! To much typing... So as a guy who's last bike before the scoots was an 84 V-65 Sabre 1100 V4 big touring brother to your very nice 500 I can tell you I felt the same as you do now. But buy the 250 or in a week you'll wish you had. Check the UC-250Z on Bandit 80-85mph liquid cooled 257cc Linhai engine. The so called 250cc scoots from most dealers are the 244cc Helix Clone engine and while mechanically good they are still having more cooling and fuel problems with them than the Linhai engines. Even if you don't buy talk to Jim from Bandit he is a wealth of information about scooters and engines.

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com

Old 04-17-2007, 01:33 AM   #9

Thanks very much for the info.. been surfin around on the sites mentioned

Thanks again

Ken

Old 05-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #10

I still can't get over the condition of your Honda!!! I know with the right scooter you can sit back, relax and just cruise. Good luck on your venture.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein