Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #1

HELP! BSR Raven No Power !

Brand new bike, assembled and battery charged. The bike started on its own a few times for heat cycles . Now I get nothing to the dash. Battery is good, fuse is good ! Help !!

Old 05-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #2

Update: The dash cluster works, lights work. When by is running by kickstart. I get no power when I turn the key and try the electric start. Bike runs and shifts like a top when it’s running.

Is it possible the ignition is bad? Anyway to test? Any help is appreciated!

Old 05-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #3

First check the kill-switch. Make sure it is going completely on and off. That is a tricky circuit and my bike will not shut off using the ignition switch. It will only stop running when you turn off the kill-switch so there is a bypass in there somewhere.

Remember: ignition on/kill-switch in run position/hit starter button. Easy to get skipped steps in a panic when the bike won't start.

Is the solenoid clicking when you press the starter button? (The click of making the connection is usually masked by the starter noise.)

Does the starter fire when you hot wire the solenoid poles? (solenoid is under the seat)

Check your connections from the battery to the starter button, across the starter button, Then back to the solenoid. You will need a multimeter to check continuity but if you own a China bike you need one anyway.

That circuit is very visible and easy to trace. You can pull up a wiring diagram off the internet. It's the same for 99% of China-bikes.

If the bike fires when you cross the poles of the solenoid then it has to be in the starter button circuit or the solenoid.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:12 PM   #4

The bike doesn’t have a kill switch. There is hazard lights where I’d imagine the kill switch would be. When I turned the Key before the green neutral light was lit on the cluster. Now nothing happens when I turn the key.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #5

Check that the wires are plugged in for the safety switch by the Clutch lever. Bike must be in neutral or have clutch pulled to start. I don't remember if your bike has a safety switch on the kick stand or not. Some bikes do and the kick stand has to be in the up position. Does your bike have a remote start? Those have caused problems as well.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #6

If it starts and runs fine with the kick start and all the lights work while running the charging system is working fine. Do you have a DC meter to check the battery? I have the same bike and had to replace the battery immediately as it would not hold a charge.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #7

No remote start, I will go over the bike once more after work. The battery was at 12-14amps . I unhooked all lights for process of elimination. Checked all wire connections. Is there only one main fuse on the bike? It looks identical to the hawk. I will reply later on with a update. Thanks guys !

Old 05-28-2021, 05:29 PM   #8

Getting 14v to the solenoid from the battery. No cluster lights with turn key. If I hook up 12v to the solenoid I get a neutral light, all lights working with a turn key. Doesn’t start on the electric start . Clicks.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #9

Update ! Found the issue broken ground wire between the solenoid and battery ! Powers up !

Old 05-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #10

Mods can delete my posts ( made 2 same post ) thank you to all that shared some input !

Tags
bsr raven, electrical, no power