Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Tao Tao 150D Front Brake help

I have a Tao Tao 150 D. Like most it has front drum brakes. The front I can't adjust to make them usable with making the brake leaver impossible for my wife to be able to squeeze. I took them apart and every thing seems to be assemble properly. The shoes seem to have plenty of meat left. I actually went to the local dealer where I bought it to buy new break shoes but they wanted $15.00 a side. They looked just like the ones I have so I didn't buy them. This thing has been awesome an we have rode the crap out of it.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #2

While at the dealer I fell in love with this ($699) but I don't currently have room in my garage. Planning on building a new house in next couple years and going to build the biggest garage we can afford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0600.jpg (91.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0601.jpg (91.5 KB, 161 views)

Old 08-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

I like that 150 and at only $699 it's a pretty good deal. Looks just like the 50CC I just got (for a lot more $$). Must be nice to have a dealer nearby.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_e View Post
I like that 150 and at only $699 it's a pretty good deal. Looks just like the 50CC I just got (for a lot more $$). Must be nice to have a dealer nearby.
I am no way connected with them and so I can't say how good there service is. I bought to quads from them the 150 and a 110.

This is there website, They do ship but do not put shipping prices on their site. http://dirtcheapatvonline.com/index.html They also have TAO TAO quads there now that are actually have enough distance on the foot rests that a tall person can be comfortable. I'm folded up on the 150 and it hard for me to use the rear brake. They didn't have that model when I bought mine.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the video Adjuster. I probably should have made this 2 different threads. I do need some ideas on the brakes. The brakes have 2 cables, 1 for each front wheel. Both cables have 2 places to adjust the tension on them . I can make the both wheels equally as lousy but can't adjust so that I cant easily spin the wheels by had with the front end of the ground without making the brake lever to hard to squeeze in. At this point lever has so much tension on it you can't push the pin in to hold brake on. I'm starting to think these just have lousy fron't brakes but I can't remember them being that lousy. I noticed it the other day when I backed out of the garage and it rolled down the hill and I couldn't stop with the front brakes. I don't ride it much because no leg room and I prefer to ride the bike instead.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #7

Take the time to dismantle the brakes and clean the inside of the drums with sandpaper. You can also lightly scuff the shoes, but wear a dust mask when you do. Clean everything with Brake Clean. Lubricate the pivot points with a little grease; I use moly for that.

When you reassemble the brakes, ensure that the square block on the spindle is inserted into the square hole in the drum backing plate.

Get a can of Maxima Chain Wax and a cable luber. Lube the cables liberally, and then reassemble and adjust.

You'll still have awkward front drum brakes, but they'll be optimized. We have four quads like that in our group, and I've been through it before.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #8

Thanks Weld, I'll take them apart and do as you instructed, When I took them apart last time they were surprisingly clean but I will clean them up again after I do some scuffing with sandpaper. Can I buy the cable lube at Walmart/Autozone or do I have to go to a dealership to find it?

Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I do remember the salesman saying they got them for bws

Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
Thanks Weld, I'll take them apart and do as you instructed, When I took them apart last time they were surprisingly clean but I will clean them up again after I do some scuffing with sandpaper. Can I buy the cable lube at Walmart/Autozone or do I have to go to a dealership to find it?
I buy Maxima products at the local bike dealer. You can also buy a cable luber there, or buy one online.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #11

If any of you guys have cable operated speedos it was easy for me to slide the wire out of the sheathing. I then smeared it with lube and and put it back together. My speedo now works much better the speed dial doesn't jump around erratically like it used to and as a bonus a lot of noise from the cable was reduced.

Another tip. I was getting some kind of strange vibration at the front wheel. Turns out it was my disc brake pads vibrating. I realized this because the vibration would stop when I applied the brakes. I used some of that red goopy sticky stuff for automotive break pads and it completely cured the vibration.

Another tip while were at it. I filled my inner tubes with the recommended amount of 'Slime' for inner tubes 8 ounces per wheel. This instantly made my bike ride much smoother as the 'Slime' works like a liquid balancing agent. I also hope it solves some very slow leaks I was getting from the tubes. I would have to air up about every two weeks. The smoother ride was pretty dramatic, huge improvement.

/

/