Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2015, 04:51 AM   #16

Could you possibly go into more detail about what is entailed with opening up the intake and exhaust?

Old 08-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #17

You can ditch the stock airbox and replace it with a pod filter. You'd need to remove the airbox and measure the OD of the carb inlet to determine the pod filter size. One reason to replace the stock airbox is that the boot that connects the airbox to the carb necks down quite a bit.

You can also do an eBay search for a performance GY6 50cc exhaust. That will help, because the stock muffler is likely quite restrictive, like the one in my scooter thread.

Once you make those mods, you'll need to change the slow and main jets in the carb to compensate. That's super easy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2015, 04:58 AM   #18

I would play with the carb and exhaust and leave the engine alone; that is assuming you want some kind of utility with the scooter. However, it sounds like you got the bike for free or close to free, so perhaps a bore kit might be fun to play with? I had suggested to rich_e on his thread to not bore his wife's scooter out mainly because he bought it brand new for her to learn on, and boring it out might make the engine go south. But a $100 or less scooter might be the perfect Guinea pig to play with. Otherwise, play with the carb and exhaust, or simply look around for a 150cc engine from another discarded scooter as some of TaoTao's scooters came in both 50 and 150 forms.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #19

Well I don't want to put in an engine that powerful because then I'd have to get a motorcycle license I believe. I want to try the big bore kit that the first to reply mentioned, but I'm not entirely sure which options I should pick on that site. Also would that require me to get a different carborator or is it cool just to use a stock one?

Old 08-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Once you make those mods, you'll need to change the slow and main jets in the carb to compensate. That's super easy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-31-2015, 11:20 AM   #21

I ordered a new carb and gas tank for now to get the thing moving at least. After it's working stock I plan to do some actual performance parts. I'll update once I get it moving again.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Love the packaging!

Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghcoe View Post
Love the packaging!
I think they come with sardines?!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #24

Hi there, reporting in. So I replaced the carb and cleaned out the gas tank and installed the exhausted and redid most of the gas and vacuum lines and much to my delight the scooter turned right on and doesn't seem to have any problems besides the brakes needing some maintenance. Idle seems solid and I think I'm getting somewhere around 40 MPH at top speed because I found out I've got a 1P39QMB which typically already comes a slightly larger cylinder supposedly. I'm still going to do the BBK upgrade as I want the experience doing it, and I still have to replace the variator and clutch eventually, as well install the new camshaft and final turn gears (I have to press these supposedly, don't know what that means).

There are two issues that are quite annoying, the only way I can get it to start is to use the kick starter, the electric doesn't work or exist at all. The other is a lot more serious for me as the oil filter drain plug is stripped to all hell and I can't get it out. I'm going to order another one but I have no idea how to get out the old one at this point.

On a minor note my speedometer does not work and I can't find one that fits my model scooter any where. Here's a picture of the dash and a picture of the front of the scooter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dkd...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gAI...ew?usp=sharing

Short of finding an abandoned scooter that's the same model and happens to have one that works I'm not quite sure what I can do. Is there some sort of universal I could possible install?

Old 09-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #25

Glad to hear it runs and rides for you. Can you show us a pic of the stripped drain plug?

Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astray View Post
speedometer
Google

Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #27

So I had a mobile scooter repair guy come by and fix it. Cost 25, but the scooter needed the oil change desperately so I bit the bullet. Also the electric starter works too, I was just an idiot and didn't use it properly. Looking into the speedometer now, thanks for that link.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #28

Glad to read the good news. $25 for a mobile mechanic is well worth it, considering you now have the new nut on it (I assume). I remember these scooters from Taotao being a little 'too' fast, as generic as they look (they don't 'look fast' lol) a few years ago. I am sure Taotao had to restrict the subsequent model years' bikes, since these are predominantly for states that recognize mopeds and/or unlicensed scooters and restrict them to 30 mph.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #29

Yeah, the scooter easily reaches 30 and given enough time on flat ground I was keeping up with and even passing traffic on a 50 mph zone. It takes a bit to get there, but the scooter can fly and I'm very happy. I'm looking into buying a helmet (full face) because safety. One thing that I noticed that's going to be a problem is if it rains, do you guys have any recommendations for staying dry while driving in wet conditions? I wore a poncho and I stayed reasonably dry but it wasn't comfortable or practical at all.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #30

First real problem with the scooter:

I noticed the scooter was having a slightly tougher time during the beginning of acceleration where it kind of hopped a bit before continuing to move forward sometimes. It was also having a tougher and tougher time getting started until recently it suddenly started dying while in idle and had a reduced power output at max throttle so I pulled it off to the side of the road. After letting it be off for a bit it would settle down and ride again pretty well. Today it started cutting out right in the middle of the street and I had to start it by using the ignition and throttling it a decent bit to get it going again from rest. After I left it off for awhile it just straight up would not start until I maxed the throttle and held the ignition for quite awhile and I had to keep it from idling or it would die on my way home. It was working fine at max throttle right until a was a block or two away from home and it died even with max throttle after it lossed a significant amount of power. It now no longer even turns on. From what I've read there are two things that could be causing the issue. One is the valves need adjustment after all this time or the piston/rings are shot and I'm no longer getting any compression in the engine and need to have it replaced. What are your thought on this?