Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #16

Hello,
Regarding the auxiliary lights, do you know how many Watts can you add to the electrical system without damaging the generator or other parts?
Many thanks!

Old 09-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Congrats on the order! I'm becoming more and more intrigued with this bike every day, especially for Mrs. 2LZ. We used to open-road bike camp a lot until we moved to the foothills and her current Victory Kingpin just isn't as fun, nor as tossable in the canyons as she'd like it to be. She's a very seasoned cyclist but simply put, it's a big bike. She was thinking of getting another Sportster just for local riding but I'd sure like to have her try one of these. Just that So Cal is a jaunt for a test ride.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepua View Post
Hello,
Regarding the auxiliary lights, do you know how many Watts can you add to the electrical system without damaging the generator or other parts?
Many thanks!
I believe the stock alternator produces about 200 watts. In the United States our motorcycles have the optional, 300-watt alternator.

You won't damage the alternator if you install too many accessories. If the power drain is greater than the alternator can supply, the battery will merely lose its charge. Repeatedly discharging the battery too low will shorten the life of the battery, but it won't damage any other parts of the motorcycle.

Even the stock alternator supplies a lot of power, especially since the bike has an LED brake light and turn signals.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #19

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I believe the stock alternator produces about 200 watts. In the United States our motorcycles have the optional, 300-watt alternator.

You won't damage the alternator if you install too many accessories. If the power drain is greater than the alternator can supply, the battery will merely lose its charge. Repeatedly discharging the battery too low will shorten the life of the battery, but it won't damage any other parts of the motorcycle.

Even the stock alternator supplies a lot of power, especially since the bike has an LED brake light and turn signals.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
Howdy Lee,

Welcome. The RX-3 is a perfect Catskills/Adirondacks bike. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Thanks for the info you gave on those aux. lights. I did some googling and I just ordered a set for my RX-3.

Cheers,

Dan K.
They are excellent for the price, very solid and reliable. Many people on the Tiger 1050 forum use them as that bike had horrific stock headlights.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepua View Post
Hello,
Many thanks!
I think it's 300 watts total for the rx3. If you use to much you'll just drain the battery and maybe not have enough for the fuel injection once the battery is drained. I equip all my bikes with an inexpensive color coded voltage led that makes it very easy to see if your overloading the stator or your battery is drained.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/heads-up-voltage-monitor/

Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
Welcome Lee, I'm sure that you'll love your RX-3. Although mileage is great, be prepared for lesser results as I'm guessing you will wring the RX-3's neck both accelerating and at top speed. But don't worry, the bike has a masochistic nature and loves being flogged.

Also, thanks for the link to the lights.
Yeah I've set my expectation to "no power" after my last two liter bikes haha. I have no issue running a bike up to redline or at high rpm.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
I think it's 300 watts total for the rx3. If you use to much you'll just drain the battery and maybe not have enough for the fuel injection once the battery is drained. I equip all my bikes with an inexpensive color coded voltage led that makes it very easy to see if your overloading the stator or your battery is drained.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/heads-up-voltage-monitor/
The stator output is 300 watts for the U.S. bikes, but the standard, stator output for most bikes elsewhere is around 200 watts.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #24

The South American version without EFI should be the small 200W generator for sure. But lets see the possitive side, you´ll have a few more Watts on the rear wheel

Old 09-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #25

welcome lee!!!! whereabouts are you in upstate NY? I live in Clifton Springs near geneva and canandaigua....

Old 09-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
welcome lee!!!! whereabouts are you in upstate NY? I live in Clifton Springs near geneva and canandaigua....
I'm near Watertown. Two of us ordered RX3's up here

Old 10-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #27

Initial Impression:

Shipping: Roadrunner Transportation delivered the bike via a local carrier. Bikes were packed together in one 1070 lb package. Unfortunately the shipping company didn't bring a truck with a lift gate in the back. So the bikes got uncrated and rolled into the bed of a truck which then was backed up to a hill and they were maneuvered into the garage. Fortunately those bikes are light!!!! The crate was undamaged but mine had some small scrapes on it from either the straps or something in packing. One is on the engine cover and pretty noticeable. I'll give CSC a call and some pictures for those. Overall it's just a few small cosmetic scratches and nothing serious. My friends bike faired much better and we didn't notice anything on initial inspection on his.

Assembly: Both our bikes were preassembled at CSC save the windshield, rear view mirrors and rear top box. We also had the 12v/USB option installed. Mine came with the 19" front and different tires than stock as additional options. The windshield is tricky to install, i'll attempt that again in daylight. I installed the mirrors and rode the bike home from my friends with the top box and screws in my wifes CRV.

Quality: It's not up to 16k bike standards but this thing feels very much like your getting your money's worth. Lots of solid metal and no rattles whatsoever. Nice dash for a 250! The welds are just as good as my Moto Guzzi Stelvio.. It uses a lot of steel and fasteners similar to the Vstrom I used to have. Overall it's better looking than the KLR I had 15 years ago when it was brand new, and for 2500 dollars less! Great set of crash bars that surround the bike. It looks like it will fall over better than most. I'm quite happy with the quality so far.

Ergonomics: This bike is about 80% the size of my MG Stelvio and about 220 lbs less in weight. It has a 1 inch lower seat height as well. I'm 5'11" and flat foot this bike. I weight 275 lbs and basically must have some neanderthal DNA because I'm build like one. Bars are great and legroom felt good on the short ride. The seat however is pretty bad for me. I'll add the airhawk and see how that works. I may replace it with the "tall" seat option however. The grips feel really short compared to other bikes I've had with bar end weights. Good "adventure" bike ergonomics over all. You sit "in" this bike rather than on top like you would a dirt bike.

Engine: First impression, I ran it up to redline on the way home very briefly keeping the RPM's going up and letting it compression brake. I didn't ride aggressively as that will come later. My last two bikes were a Tiger 1050 at @ 125hp at the crank and a MG Stelvio at 105hp and @ 80ft lbs of torque. The Stelvio is all torque everywhere. The triple was power everywhere even more-so. So this is what I think having been riding those for the past 60,000 miles. It's not bad! Loud exhaust in a pretty good way. The sound makes it feel faster than it is. That saying "more fun to ride a slow bike fast" is very true. This bike will make you smile. No, it's not even close to as fast as a 1200cc or 1050cc engine. It'll get far better fuel economy than either. I took it up to 70mph actual (gps) and it got there with ease. I'm sure it'll get over 80 on a flat. Your going to lose passing power vs a big bike and it won't be as good in a headwind on the highway but it'll do just fine everywhere else. Engine sounds great and the shifting was very light. A bit notchy but that'll likely improve. It's a better transmission than my Tiger 1050 but not as good as the MG right now. I had no issues finding neutral and no false gears.

Suspension: Soft but I'm very heavy. It rides very nice actually but bottoms out easy (I'm way over normal weight though). I'll adjust preload to maximum and try again. It soaks up bumps and road cracks very nicely and it's a comfortable bike to ride. Better by far than my Sportster 883! It absorbs all but the harshest impacts without issues.

Handling: Very good. Light and quick.

That exhaust is loud haha!

I'm planning a full video review and have some pretty decent camera equipment and sound recording so I'll capture it as best I can for everyone to enjoy. I should have a few miles on it by then and I'll update this initial review.

Lee

Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #28

Thanks for posting your detailed, initial impressions.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-06-2015, 12:50 AM   #29

Excellent details! I hope to hear about many adventures in the future.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-06-2015, 01:44 AM   #30

Congrats LeeR! Bike looks great and, might I be so bold, it's in the faster orange color! :-) Thanks for giving us your impression and ride review. It was great to read!

FWIW, I'm on the bigger side myself at 250 lbs and I settled at 7 turns (tighter) on the spring. I had 8 turns, but backed-off one turn as I thought the suspension was a bit too stiff at that point. I also set dampening at 13 clicks (of 16 total). That seemed to feel best to me.

Congrats again on the RX3 and looking forward to further impressions!