Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Is the ceiling open inside with no insulation? How will you deal with sewage? Septic tank?
the ceiling in the bedroom is open right now, just because we haven't gotten to buying the insulation for it right now. It will e insulated, ceiling, walls and floor. The living room, which is finished inside, is completely insulated and stays much cooler than the bedroom.
There will be a septick tank hookup.
2007 DR 650
1973 Yamaha TX 650

Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I could live there.
I could too.
Tiny power bills, a very small wall mounted propane heater, propane stove.
2007 DR 650
1973 Yamaha TX 650

Old 07-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #18

Hey guys! I just got back from spending a week off trying to finish off the cabin. Came close, but still have about four full days of work to go on it. Here are some pics of the weeks progress. The living room/kitchen was mostly done, looking like this

[/img]
The bedroom/ bathroom needed insulation and wall boards

here is the bathroom with one wall

lot of the corner boards had to be trimmed, yours truly on my table saw
[/img]
OSHA never heard of this one, a buddy found it in an old house he bought. Weird sized blade, had to do some work to get a modern blade to fit. Have no idea how old it is, but works fine for small stuff like trim

walls going up in the living room

Had to trim the windows

ceiling going up

I was going to leave the water heater in the kitchen, decided to move it to the bathroom and build a cabinet over it

The counter over the water heater is the same as the kitchen cabinet. We bought a kitchen sink and huge countertop off craigs list. Cut off parts will be the bathroom counter top, a corner kitchen counter top and probably a night stand.
The water heater cabinet goes well with this porcelan corner sink we found.

The shower needs work, it froze to the ground outside and cracked. My uncle swears he will have it like new with bondo and epoxy. We'll see, it was also priced right, free!!

Here is a pic of the bedroom. The walls are sealed, just have to do the trim

a picture from the bedroom showing the kitchen, bathroom doors.

Another picture of the kitchen cabinet, I liked how they came out.

Just have to do floor covering, hang two more doors and the back wall outside and my little mountain cabin will be done.
2007 DR 650
1973 Yamaha TX 650

Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #19

Dang! That looks sweet Gene! Seriously, I could live there too... Are you taking in boarders yet?

Cheers,
Stew

Old 07-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #20

Oh, I was going to ask too, do you run a well and pressure system or a cistern? Not sure if you mentioned it before, I might have missed it. A lot of acerage owners here use the cistern system now due to the price of getting a well drilled... $$$!

Old 07-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #21

It is family land. We hold family reunions there. Started off with a few rv spots, then a couple aunts built some one room cabins there.

We had been dragging our rv up there but decided to build a small cabin. We bought cheap wood for a year and decided we could build something a little better.
We hooked into the pump that is on-site and will have our own septic. We pay a lot rent for putting the cabin there. I just wanted to see if we could do it. Would like to eventually build another just like it on our own land somewhere. With careful shopping, a lot of craigs list finds I have not spent a whole lot of money, less than 5k. That's what amazes me, I will have built a house I could live in for that.
Tools needed, hammers, levels, standard hand tools, tape measures, 16penny air hammer and air finish nailer, table saw, skill saw, mitre saw, jig saw. I built about half of the first room with a hammer and skill saw. Thank god for air guns. The rafters were probably the hardest.
2007 DR 650
1973 Yamaha TX 650

Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #22

You do good work, Gene! Your cabin looks beautiful.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene
I had to look twice at this pic. At first, it looked like the counter top was floating in the air.

Does that old tablesaw happen to say Rockwell on it?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #24

deputygene,
Nice job on your cabin.
Don't feel bad about taking a lot longer than you planned.
When I rebuilt and expanded a cracker house at our ranch in Florida, I said I was going to be done by Christmas. I was off by one year and got it completed by the next Christmas.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene
I had to look twice at this pic. At first, it looked like the counter top was floating in the air.

Does that old tablesaw happen to say Rockwell on it?
I don't know the brand, spent some time today trying to find one on-line like it, but didn't. I'll look when I go back up next weekend. The same buddy I got it from also had a belt operated drill press but threw it away before I got it. :(
2007 DR 650
1973 Yamaha TX 650

Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
deputygene,
Nice job on your cabin.
Don't feel bad about taking a lot longer than you planned.
When I rebuilt and expanded a cracker house at our ranch in Florida, I said I was going to be done by Christmas. I was off by one year and got it completed by the next Christmas.
Thanks, It has been more work than I thought, we just take it one job, sometimes one board, at a time. I usually set a goal each weekend for the work we want to get finished, and we usually make our goal. Tying in the bedroom wall to the kitchen wall took a lot of time, there was a slight alignment problem that took a lot of precision sawing to line up the walls for the board covering.
We decided last July to build it with a goal to be done by the end of July this year. We won't be done, but we hope to get the floor coverings down (lenolium) down next weekend and stay in it for this years reunion.
2007 DR 650
1973 Yamaha TX 650

Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #27

A few more pics

My sister Linda, who lives in the midwest, has been following my cabin build and wanted to come see it. her husband Randy likes to ride, and it was decided that they would truck their bike down on a fri, and we would spend sat riding the Blue ridge parkway. Here is Randy and Linda on their bike

Me and Roxanne also trucked our bikes in, we had a bunch of stuff to take with us to the cabin.

We had made some improvements to the cabin, including a great looking vinyl flooring we scored off craigslist for the kitchen

Wood laminate flooring for the bathroom

Opened up the water heater cabinet for a little storage

Hooked up the water
[/img]
shower came out ok

We put down a wood laminate flooring in the batroom

An extra piece of kitchen countertop became a nightstand

Im going to put a lock on the door

The couches are both sleepers

The cabin was comfortable for the weekend

We were going to build a closet but found this Armoir at a yardsale

Guy gave us this little desk with the armoir.

It was a chilly weekend, but this small electric heater kept the cabin comfy

I still have one piece of kitchen countertop left. It is going to become a corner hutch to put the microwave on
[/img]
Sat dawned bright, clear and a little chilly. Our destination was Mabry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway. But first, a gas stop for the bikes.

Then onto the parkway. Stopped at one of the many overlooks where a Beamer rider took all of our pics

Mabry Mill was really crowded. This is an earlier pic

They were cooking apples for apple butter and sugar cane.
The water sloughs had gold dust in the sloughs

Linda and Randy at Mabry Mill

Mabry Mill was around 120 miles since the fill up that morning. We pushed back to Fancy Gap for gas. I had put Roxannes DR on reserve at Mabry Mill and was hoping it would make it. About 138 miles total, her bike held 3 gallons when we filled up. Total capacity is 3.4 gallons. We ate at Lakeview restraunt. It is one of our favorites, In operation since the 30's. Sorry no pics.
We stopped off at one last overlook for the view

The XR ran fine with the new pipe and jetting, although I suspect it is running rich. About 260 mile round trip, the parkway was filled with bikes and cars.
2007 DR 650
1973 Yamaha TX 650

Old 10-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #28

Awesome pics! The cabin looks fantastic, I'm sure you guys will get a lot of enjoyment out of it . Very nice bike ride as well!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #29

The BRP is on my bucket list.

The cabin looks great! Thanks for the pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #30

Great pics. Love the cabin. Thanks for taking the time to share.