Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2024, 06:23 PM   #1

107cc boulder no spark

2017 Boulder 107cc

My sons 110 4 wheeler lost spark.

All through troubleshooting, I have had the kill switched temporarily disabled via middle wire on CDI.

This is the info I was using for trouble shooting.

https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-e...completed.html

I did some troubleshooting using some info I found on another forum. It wasn't clear what the bad values meant but I was fairly sure they were saying my stator was bad so I ordered an amazon one and threw that on. Still no spark.

I suspect/suspected that the info I had found was wrong and not applicable to my model. So I ordered a coil, cdi, voltage regulator etc on amazon and threw all that on. Still not spark.

Next I installed the old stator and I got spark. Put everything back together and have no spark again.

I was about to give up and I noticed a remote start/kill switch system near the gas tank. I tried unplugging that unit just to experiment... still no spark. I read recently that there is a jumper I need to reinstall if that is removed.

I feel like I need to go back to the drawing board here and get a manual and trouble shoot this thing right. The parts fit well but maybe they are wrong? Since I am fairly new to Chinese Atvs, does anything jump out to anyone here as an obvious direction to go. Are amazon parts suspect? Is there a component that I am un aware of?

Old 01-01-2024, 07:30 PM   #2

Try these for a start. https://www.vmcchineseparts.com/pages/tech-info

VMC is my go to for parts. I've been burned by Amazon too many times.

Electrical problems are so much fun. Usually what I do before replacing parts is to inspect the harness for bad grounds, shorts, and bad connectors. By the time my grandkids out grow the 110, it will have all new waterproof connectors on it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-02-2024, 07:38 AM   #3

I was able to figure this out. That short burst of spark reminded me of how stators go bad in general... they run for a while and quit and get worse and worse. So if I assumed that the stator is the problem and my original diagnosis was correct, I needed to take a hard look at the new stator. Sure enough, even though the wires were all the same colors, in the same location on the connector, they were soldered onto different positions on the stator. Popping the pins out and repining to match the old stator worked and it fired right up.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Try these for a start. https://www.vmcchineseparts.com/pages/tech-info

VMC is my go to for parts. I've been burned by Amazon too many times.

Electrical problems are so much fun. Usually what I do before replacing parts is to inspect the harness for bad grounds, shorts, and bad connectors. By the time my grandkids out grow the 110, it will have all new waterproof connectors on it.
Thanks, I need this link. I did figure it out (post below) but I needed a solid resource to buy parts for this thing.

Have you ever hot glued your connectors? It makes them pretty water proof and it isn't too hard to remove the glue. It's not good for submersion though because then it will hold the water.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljleach View Post
I was able to figure this out. That short burst of spark reminded me of how stators go bad in general... they run for a while and quit and get worse and worse. So if I assumed that the stator is the problem and my original diagnosis was correct, I needed to take a hard look at the new stator. Sure enough, even though the wires were all the same colors, in the same location on the connector, they were soldered onto different positions on the stator. Popping the pins out and repining to match the old stator worked and it fired right up.
Good job of troubleshooting.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-02-2024, 09:13 AM   #6

If you had spark and then put everything back together I would suspect a bad connector. Same thing was happening to my neighbors quad. We ended up putting zip ties around the connector for the stator. If you have the male/female butt connectors, those can get too loose and need to be closed a little. As far as removing the remote start/kill switch I have never had to run any type of jumper. Just unplug and be done with it. Good luck.