Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inroads View Post
I was curious as to who makes the upgrade battery ? Still Chinese right ?
What designates it as an upgrade besides the price ?
I can take a photo of it when it gets here if you'd like.
UPS says its coming tomorrow.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Should I put it in the bike then just attach the tender, or should I attach the tender directly to the battery before putting it in the bike? Does it matter if I do not intend to turn the bike on until the tender says its fully charged?
An excellent question. The bike is likely to have a very minor draw that the battery tender could stay on top of, assuming the battery is fully charged in the first place.

A battery on the bench will have no draw at all, and will have the best chance of being fully charged by the tender. I'd stick it on the charger for a day first, and then install it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
An excellent question. The bike is likely to have a very minor draw that the battery tender could stay on top of, assuming the battery is fully charged in the first place.

A battery on the bench will have no draw at all, and will have the best chance of being fully charged by the tender. I'd stick it on the charger for a day first, and then install it.
As usual, I agree with Weld.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #34

Quote:
I can take a photo of it when it gets here if you'd like.
UPS says its coming tomorrow.
Please do or inform me the manufacturer and P/N Thanks !

Old 11-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Thanks Weld
I will go find my battery tender clamps and make myself prepared

Perhaps a bit of a tangent - when you turn off your bike - if you have accessories like LED Spots, is it advised to turn those off, even though when the bike is off, they do not separately illuminate? Mine were installed by CSC and are hooked up to the Accessory switch on the bike.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Thanks Weld

Perhaps a bit of a tangent - when you turn off your bike - if you have accessories like LED Spots, is it advised to turn those off, even though when the bike is off, they do not separately illuminate? Mine were installed by CSC and are hooked up to the Accessory switch on the bike.
The accessory lighting won't cause any problems. Parasitic draining of the battery is caused by modern electronics, such as the digital dashboard.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Thanks Weld

Sprite, you have mentioned battery tender a couple of times. A tender generally puts out less than 1 amp. The initial charge should be 2 amps minimum.
You don't need to turn off the accessory switches, but those lights will be on when you restart the bike, putting additional draw on the battery.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 11-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
Sprite, you have mentioned battery tender a couple of times. A tender generally puts out less than 1 amp. The initial charge should be 2 amps minimum.
You don't need to turn off the accessory switches, but those lights will be on when you restart the bike, putting additional draw on the battery.
It's a Deltran battery tender plus - it charges and maintains...or so it claims. Output is less than the 2amps you reference...

Hmm. Maybe some googling is in order.
But thank you for calling that out!

Old 11-25-2015, 12:33 AM   #39

Sprite, if you select a charger that is not a tender, make sure you babysit it. IOW, don't plug it in and go to bed. Some chargers don't cycle, so there is a risk of boiling a battery over. It probably won't boil over @ 2 amps, but it pays to be cautious.

It's totally ok to use a non-tender style, and it's even a smart idea for the initial charge. Just don't leave it for too long without checking on it. If the water level drops, add a little distilled water.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #40

The Colombian Service Manual says to give the new, 11 Ah battery a slow, overnight charge at 1.1 amps for 10 hours.

http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....54&postcount=1

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #41

such a disappointment. UPS has put an exception on my battery delivery and they are holding it hostage until some time friday :(

Old 11-26-2015, 01:23 AM   #42

We aren't allowed to ship batteries by air in Canada; they must go by ground.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:55 AM   #43

Quote:
We aren't allowed to ship batteries by air in Canada; they must go by ground.
This is why i am glad we now have a Battery World here...they have those batteries that you suggested i look into for my Yamaha.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 11-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #44

the irritating thing said it was at the local UPS location at 3am - presumably during the day it was out for delivery and then at 4pm they updated the status to exception

Old 11-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #45

batterys

strange you can not ship batterys to Canada ..... like my hoverboards from CHINA have to come by sea... but to the USA,,, they can fly them by plane... I would think someone is going to bomb the USA before Canada...