Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #1

Can’t register

I just purchased a BS 250 and I cannot register it in the state of Indiana because the bike has never been registered before it’s a 2016 so it’s technically brand new with only 300 miles on it but it was never ran through the BMV how do I go about registering it if they require me to have a bill of sales from the company even though I did not purchased the bike from the Company I purchased it from someone who owned it after the fact I have the origin certificate but that doesn’t seem to be good enough what do I do now...................... ......“ help please “......

Old 06-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdavis View Post
I just purchased a BS 250 and I cannot register it in the state of Indiana because the bike has never been registered before it’s a 2016 so it’s technically brand new with only 300 miles on it but it was never ran through the BMV how do I go about registering it if they require me to have a bill of sales from the company even though I did not purchased the bike from the Company I purchased it from someone who owned it after the fact I have the origin certificate but that doesn’t seem to be good enough what do I do now...................... ......“ help please “......
If you'll do a search on here you should find a couple of work arounds that folks have used in the past....I just don't recall enough details but seems to me it entailed registering it in a couple of particular states ......getting your title and paperwork all back and then transferring into your state... Others will probably know better.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #3

OK if you by chance run across any of those threads could you shoot me a link I’m racking my brain here

Old 06-20-2019, 10:21 PM   #4

The "company" will reissue a copy of the bill of sale to the original owner most likely if the original owner requests it. It might take some light pressure but shouldn't be a problem. Then the bill of sale from the owner to you will suffice. On the certificate of origination there may be a transfer option there as well that might need to be signed.

If that is too much for you, contact a bonding company. Search for "how to bond for a motorcycle title". Probably around a hundred bucks.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

Right on that sounds like a good idea I really appreciate it

Old 06-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Indiana requires all wheeled vehicles to have a title. Do you mean that the original owner did not title it?

This page is useful for IN residents -

https://www.in.gov/bmv/2333.htm

This page has the link to "Affidavit of Ownership" package. You can download all the .pdf files, fill them out, and take them to the BMV and get a title.
https://www.in.gov/bmv/2473.htm

Once you get the title, you can either register it for road use, or just as an ORV.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 AM   #7

I had an issue registering my hawk in Kansas. You can either make your own bill of sale but apparently that’s “frowned upon”.
What I had to do was register my bike in Vermont
Vermont doesn’t require anything under 300cc or older than 15 years old to have a title to be registered.

“But I don’t live in Vermont or near Vermont?” Yeah, I knew you’d say that. You can do it through mail without living in Vermont and it’s perfectly legal. Google “chin on the tank Vermont loophole.”

Tips if you choose to go this route: make sure you answer EVERY box that you have to or they’ll send it back. And I’d also ship priority

“But I don’t want to title it in Vermont”

In Kansas you can’t make a dirt bike street legal no ifs and or buts.... BUUUUT they honor other states laws so if someone made a dirt bike street legal in Missouri and tagged it in Missouri and then someone bought it in Kansas they could transfer the title and tag it in Kansas

Old 06-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerRidge View Post
I had an issue registering my hawk in Kansas. You can either make your own bill of sale but apparently that’s “frowned upon”.
What I had to do was register my bike in Vermont
Vermont doesn’t require anything under 300cc or older than 15 years old to have a title to be registered.

“But I don’t live in Vermont or near Vermont?” Yeah, I knew you’d say that. You can do it through mail without living in Vermont and it’s perfectly legal. Google “chin on the tank Vermont loophole.”

Tips if you choose to go this route: make sure you answer EVERY box that you have to or they’ll send it back. And I’d also ship priority

“But I don’t want to title it in Vermont”

In Kansas you can’t make a dirt bike street legal no ifs and or buts.... BUUUUT they honor other states laws so if someone made a dirt bike street legal in Missouri and tagged it in Missouri and then someone bought it in Kansas they could transfer the title and tag it in Kansas
Good post! Just a shame you had to jump through hoops of ignorance to get something as simple as a damn title and registration lined out.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song