Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #1

Head Scratching Sprocket question..

So my rear sprocket is wanting to loosen up on me - only four bolts on my X-Pro DLX / Orion RXB250. The book states 19ftlbs when alllll the rest of the manuals for the Hawks and others are much, much higher... I'm just wondering if I should up the torque??

I do NOT have a snap ring on the sprocket.. the sprocket is just attached with 4 bolts. I have applied some Loctite 242 blue the last time I noticed that one of the bolts was almost, like within a few millimeters of hitting the swing arm.. Had I not turned around when I did; may not be writing this now!

I'm seeing around 35-40ftlbs for bolt torque, not 19.. Also wondering if anyone with the RXB's could share their torque specs for the rear sprocket just for comparison.

I did look through the resources but I don't think this one is the same for the Hawk fix. There is no play with the sprocket when the bolts are tight either; it's all like it should be when tight. But this happens maybe around 250mi? I have thought about changing out rims because these are just.. meh, but didn't know size or anything to get for my bike...

Anything would help! Most definitely some torque info for others rear sprocket spec.

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #2

Okay - thoughts..

I'm thinking about taking one of the bolts from the rear sprocket to the local Ace, size it up but get a longer bolt, but not too long - grab some lock nuts, and secure it like that.. the hub does have the threads and goes through the whole hub piece.. There wouldn't be any interference in the bolt flowing through the hub whatsoever.. and from inside won't be touching anything or in danger of spinning and catching on anything....

As long as I'm alright with distance, that SHOULD provide a fix.. and not come loose. Hopefully. But - I would like to run this idea by some of the vets of the Chinese bike world to see if this is even acceptable for a fix. The front sprocket bolts are good - same torque that I had them on when installed. The rear just, doesn't need to be coming loose like that..

This is the only thing I can come up with without over-torquing the crap out of the rear bolts and stripping the hub...

Old 07-06-2021, 05:35 AM   #3

I just looked up torque specs for my Honda XR250 and it is 27-33 ft lbs. My rear sprocket attaches with 5 bolts with nuts, I will check the bolt size when I get home.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Last edited by herbie; 07-06-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #4

Hawk/Brozz etc. use sprocket studs for the cush drive and the sproket is retained by a snap ring. That is why the torque spec is 30-35ft-lbs. I would not use those figures on your bike unless somebody else can confirm they have used them without issue.

The longer bolts is a good idea as the more threads are engaged, the better. Loctite is also a good idea, just make sure to clean the thread surfaces before use. Any oil, grease, or even old loctite will reduce its effectiveness. Brake parts cleaner/carb cleaner isopropyl alcohol, or some other form of degreaser will do fine. Heck, dawn dish soap and a brush works too lol. The lock washer is also not a bad idea, and I have used those with loctite just to be double sure on some fasteners. Maybe it's overkill, but overkill beats death every single time.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #5

I think I misunderstood, after rereading, I would not exceed the OEM rated 19 ft lbs either. If you're screwing the bolt into an aluminum hub I would think at about the 25 ft lb range you would probably have stripped threads or close to it. The longer bolt and nut makes good since to me if there are no clearance issues. I'm glad Dan jumped in there before something bad happened
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 07-07-2021, 07:21 AM   #6

AWESOME! Thanks guys - was kind of scratching my head on why this rear sprocket keeps loosening up lol

I'm going to keep it at 19 - well, 20ftlbs; my torque wrench doesn't go down to 19ftlbs! I had went to 20ftlbs last time I tightened it up, had to go to 20.... but no strips, nothing that would scream out 'UNSAFE' to me.

So yeah, I'm gonna' just grab some lock nuts and some longer bolts to get this thing tight.

MegaDan - that makes perfect sense about the snap ring and higher bolt torque; went right over that fact.

Will be visiting Ace soon to get the right stuff.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #7

Thanks Megadan

Old 07-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #8

Got my new bolts / lock nuts; got 'em on without any problems!

Going to take it out for a spin sometime to make sure it's locked in nice 'n tight; recheck the torque around 75 - 100mi.

I'll post back my results after I get some time to ride.

BTW any suggestions for filter oil? I have some 90Wt. oil, was reading any heavy oil can be used to reapply the oil coating for the filter.

Thanks again, MegaDan and Herbie!

Old Today, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Hawk/Brozz etc. use sprocket studs for the cush drive and the sproket is retained by a snap ring. That is why the torque spec is 30-35ft-lbs. I would not use those figures on your bike unless somebody else can confirm they have used them without issue.

The longer bolts is a good idea as the more threads are engaged, the better. Loctite is also a good idea, just make sure to clean the thread surfaces before use. Any oil, grease, or even old loctite will reduce its effectiveness. Brake parts cleaner/carb cleaner isopropyl alcohol, or some other form of degreaser will do fine. Heck, dawn dish soap and a brush works too lol. The lock washer is also not a bad idea, and I have used those with loctite just to be double sure on some fasteners. Maybe it's overkill, but overkill beats death every single time.
I know an old post but I’m changing the sprockets on my Hawk DLX today. I noticed folks using heat to help loosen the nuts on the rear because of the red locktite. That seems like it could damage the Cush material? I had my wife squeeze the front brake and step on the rear while I used a breaker bar and the 14 mm 6 point socket to break them free. They were on super tight. Just a thought here and Dans post makes good since. I also think that chain tension has lots to do with the sprocket bolt problems. Just posting my thoughts as I’m doing this now…