Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
For best results you should soak the brake pads in oil for several hours before you install them. Therefore, your brakes might work better if you let the bike sit overnight, and repeat the test ride tomorrow.
Soak brake pads in oil? You mean clutch plates?

Old 05-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #17

I'm sorry; I corrected my mistake in the previous post. You are supposed to soak the fiber clutch pads in oil for a few hours before you install them. If you didn't do this, the fiber clutch pads will need to soak up oil from the transmission for a few days before they begin to perform optimally.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I'm sorry; I corrected my mistake in the previous post. You are supposed to soak the fiber clutch pads in oil for a few hours before you install them. If you didn't do this, the fiber clutch pads will need to soak up oil from the transmission for a few days before they begin to perform optimally.
I figured that's what you meant. Glad you told me that because I had no idea. I will let them soak couple days before I install them.
Thank you

Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #19

Just bought this one.
http://www.amazon.com/EBC-DIRT-RACER.../dp/B008YEQLVQ

Last edited by guttafixit; 05-24-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #20

An overnight soaking of the fiber clutch pads in oil is plenty long enough.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttafixit View Post
I took it apart. Sprayed the clutch plates with brake cleaner. Took my air gun to them to make sure they were dry. I put everything back together. Filled with oil to the "H" on the site glass which is about 1000 milliliters. Took it for a test ride. Went great until I went into 2 to 3 rd gear. While it was in 2nd I rolled on the throttle and I noticed it started to slip. I tried 3rd gear and it was the same.
I took everything back off and ordered the special socket to get the round part off. (Anyone know what that is called and what it does?) I have no clue. lol
Can I use my cordless impact to get that nut off when my socket arrives? Or would it hurt something?
I don't know much about motorcycles. Sorry
I'm going to order the clutch kit.
Humanbeing what brand would you buy if you had to buy a kit? I wanna buy the best one (or close to it). Rather do it right then do it half a*s.

Thank you, Dan
If you sprayed the friction discs with brake cleaner while the clutch was assembled, it would have little effect. By "special socket", do you mean a clutch tool? If so, yes, that is also the correct tool for dismantling the centrifugal oil pump rotor. When you remove the three Phillips screws (which are probably not Phillips, but JIS), you'll find the nut under the cover. That's also the opportunity to clean out the rotor, because sludge will collect there.

I use an impact to remove and install the nut, but I do it gently. Too much force, and you'll break the aluminum rotor.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #22

I've had some friction discs marinating in Rotella for two years now. I think they're almost ready.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I've had some friction discs marinating in Rotella for two years now. I think they're almost ready.
Are you sure?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
If you sprayed the friction discs with brake cleaner while the clutch was assembled, it would have little effect. By "special socket", do you mean a clutch tool? If so, yes, that is also the correct tool for dismantling the centrifugal oil pump rotor. When you remove the three Phillips screws (which are probably not Phillips, but JIS), you'll find the nut under the cover. That's also the opportunity to clean out the rotor, because sludge will collect there.

I use an impact to remove and install the nut, but I do it gently. Too much force, and you'll break the aluminum rotor.
That is what I meant about the special socket. Mine had 3 phillips screws that held the cover on. Already clean the gunk that was in there. I will go gentle when I use my impact. I ordered the clutch kit. I already made a tool to hold the centrifugal oil pump rotor while I take the nut off.
When I take the plates off I'm going to measure them.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 AM   #25

The tool I use to hold the oil pump rotor is my hand in a glove. I still have all of my fingers. I counted very slowly to be sure.

While you're replacing the friction discs, you might want to replace the clutch springs. If you buy some on eBay, be sure to get the correct amount. I haven't changed mine yet, but when I do, I'll likely use heavy duty aftermarket springs.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #26

UPDATE...
I ordered the special socket but it won't be here until next week if that. So I went to the tarp tool store and bought a cheap ($3.00) deep 7/8" socket. I used my caliper to measure where to mark where to cut. After taking the clutch off I looked at the fiber plates. Well some flat. The metal plates had rust on them. I think from sitting for years. Took it for a test ride. I noticed it took off in 1st really aggressive. Like it should be. Went about 5 miles and went great. I soaked the new plates in new oil over night.
Thanks everyone....

Old 05-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #27

added pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tool socket.jpg (76.6 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg plates.jpg (93.0 KB, 234 views)

Old 05-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #28

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-30-2015, 01:28 AM   #29

Nice work! Glad to hear you were successful.