Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #1

New RX300, use the original for parts?

Has anyone kept up with the RX3 improvements as imported by CSC to the U. S. of A.? I have a 2015 off the first container, totaled it at 700 miles or so, so can't honestly blame CSC or Zong for all the issues. It has been one problem after another, about 1 day of 3 dedicated to motorcycles wasted on maintenance and repairs. If the 2018s are significantly improved, hopefully lots of little things to simplify maintenance and such, I'll buy one, fit my accessories from the 2015, and be entirely satisfied. On the other hand, if maintenance is still an ongoing dedication to cheap Chinese parts and sloppy Chinese workmanship, well, there are other brands available for about the same price (once the remanufacturing and such are figured in)that probably would be equally satisfying. I could streetify another TW276 6-speed build and be just as comfortable with about the same performance and handling as the 2015 RX300 (RX3 with 300 kit) I now ride with no worries about unexpected repairs and nagging maintenance issues. Really, only about $2500 difference to get it right the first time. Would be nice to only hit the wrenches twice a year as little as I ride instead of wasting a day every 3 weeks. So, peeps, give me some good reasons to stay with a new RX300.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #2

I also have a 2015 RX3, and have over 10,000 miles on it and seldom turn a wrench on it, other than oil changes and general maintenance, which I do on all my Jap Bikes too, so I don't see what they could really do to improve much on it.....I don't find general maintenance on the RX3 any more difficult than on any other bike I've ever owned (more than 50)
For the price point, and the fact that it comes with luggage and guards, I think it has been a "Better" bike than most, when the overall costs are included.

Of the 4 bikes I currently have, my RX3 is still the one I jump on most of the time.
That being said...
The new ones have ABS (of which I am not a fan for a bike that will see gravel and dirt), and a 19" front wheel, but what other improvements would you like to see made?

I do wish it had come with aluminum wheels, but I can't really think of anything else I'd expect (other than coming as a 300 instead of the 250)
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 08-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

That's a bummer about all the bad luck. I've had great luck with all of my CB's. I have yet to blow one up. I've blown up tons of Japanese bikes in the past....but again, I don't ride near as aggressively as I used to.

I can tell you this for sure, I really love the 300 kits.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #4

Sqwert, if you decide to build a TW, I would follow that closely. I have the parts to convert to a six speed and a lathe, although I don't have any time on the lathe yet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #5

I do wish it had come with aluminum wheels,

Ali wheels are on Chinese bikes 15 inch rear 18 inch front like I have on my bike

Old 08-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Sqwert, if you decide to build a TW, I would follow that closely. I have the parts to convert to a six speed and a lathe, although I don't have any time on the lathe yet.
I've built 3 276s, bored, stroked, and 6-speed. 1st is an adventure on stock wheels. 2nd is a mud hawg with an atv rear and the stock rear on the front. 3rd is a café on 17 composites and Dunlop Q3s. 1st 200 5-speed has a lot of miles so just runs local errands. 2nd 200 is 100% original 2003 and tires are rotted, but very low miles.

My son was given aa XR750 in boxes so I have to assemble that before tweeking any TWs. Rudi muttered something the other day about blessing me with a 90% BSA Victor. If I do another TW it will be a while.