Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzrite View Post
Greetings everyone. I'm Jay from Malaysia, specifically the eastern part (Borneo).

I already paid down payment for this gorgeous RS3 (yeah, Malaysia distributor KTN changed it from RX3 to RS3...but I prefer RX3). Hopefully will get the bike after 10th of March, because it will take some time for it to be shipped from Johor to Kota Kinabalu.

Apparently, I will be the first one here (Borneo) to ride it. Hehe.

Okay, here comes the questions.

I sent an email to CSC (because I'm unable to contact Malaysia distributor, which is KTN, and even their website doesn't show email address, and Joe Berk seems to be a nice dude , asking about the swapping/change of the rear wheel from 15 to 17.

The answer that I get was from Steve (I believe Joe said it somewhere in CSC blog that he's the CEO, basically making him The Man. If it's true, thank you very much Steve!)

Steve said something about the rear hub, about it being solid or cush hub. Frankly, I have no idea about the technicality of wheels, and how to change one.

I also referred to http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14104, and would like to summarize this wheel-changing thingie from my view (which is, very non-expert).

So people, please, bear with me, and do correct me when I'm wrong or spurring out nonsenses.

1) In order for me to change the wheel from 15 to 17 using the stock hub, I would have to:-

a) Check the type of hub on the rear wheel (cannot check it, since haven't received the bike yet)

b) Find a sprocket that can fit the hub that still have the same numbers of tooth in order to maintain the final drive ratio.

c) Find my self a shiny new wheel.

2) Can any 17 rear wheel be fitted with any tyres? I mean, if I want to fit 130/90-17, and decided later to change to 130/70-17, I don't suppose that I have to change the wheel too, do I?

It's hard enough to find the non-existent 15 DS rear tyre in Malaysia. I'm hoping the change from 15 to 17 wheel is not that hard.

Thank you very much for reading, and replying.
Hi Jay..... Another Malaysian here.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #2147

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTEY View Post
i guessed so because my bike comes equipped with a spare lever.
I will take a pic of this later today. Maybe they expect the carb version to run dry..hehe
As you take photographs, try to find the pilot mixture screw (PMS). The PMS of my Zongshen ZS200GY-2 carburetor is shown inside the yellow circle in the photograph below.

Also, look for any writing which will help us to identify the model of the carburetor. Try to take photographs of both left and right sides, and the bottom of the carburetor. After you post your photographs, I will start a new thread for you. This separate thread will serve as a future reference for everyone who owns a Zongshen RX3 with a carburetor.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #2148

Quote:
Greetings everyone. I'm Jay from Malaysia, specifically the eastern part (Borneo).

I already paid down payment for this gorgeous RS3 (yeah, Malaysia distributor KTN changed it from RX3 to RS3...but I prefer RX3). Hopefully will get the bike after 10th of March, because it will take some time for it to be shipped from Johor to Kota Kinabalu.

Apparently, I will be the first one here (Borneo) to ride it. Hehe.

Okay, here comes the questions.

I sent an email to CSC (because I'm unable to contact Malaysia distributor, which is KTN, and even their website doesn't show email address, and Joe Berk seems to be a nice dude , asking about the swapping/change of the rear wheel from 15 to 17.

The answer that I get was from Steve (I believe Joe said it somewhere in CSC blog that he's the CEO, basically making him The Man. If it's true, thank you very much Steve!)

Steve said something about the rear hub, about it being solid or cush hub. Frankly, I have no idea about the technicality of wheels, and how to change one.

I also referred to http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14104, and would like to summarize this wheel-changing thingie from my view (which is, very non-expert).

So people, please, bear with me, and do correct me when I'm wrong or spurring out nonsenses.

1) In order for me to change the wheel from 15 to 17 using the stock hub, I would have to:-

a) Check the type of hub on the rear wheel (cannot check it, since haven't received the bike yet)

b) Find a sprocket that can fit the hub that still have the same numbers of tooth in order to maintain the final drive ratio.

c) Find my self a shiny new wheel.

2) Can any 17 rear wheel be fitted with any tyres? I mean, if I want to fit 130/90-17, and decided later to change to 130/70-17, I don't suppose that I have to change the wheel too, do I?

It's hard enough to find the non-existent 15 DS rear tyre in Malaysia. I'm hoping the change from 15 to 17 wheel is not that hard.

Thank you very much for reading, and replying.
Jay,

Welcome to these forums; we are glad you joined us.

Your KTN RS3 has a cush hub, which is the same hub we will receive with our RX3 motorcycles in North America. Therefore, if you want a 17-inch rear wheel, you could purchase one from CSC motorcycles; this wheel will fit your KTN RS3.

The stock sprocket has 44 teeth, and it will work for you. After you receive your motorcycle, you can remove the sprocket carrier from your KTN RS3, and install it in a 17-inch wheel you purchase from CSC.

We will learn more about other sprocket options after we receive our bikes in North America.

You can fit a wide variety of tires to the 17-inch rear wheel. Indeed, you can easily switch from a size 130/90-17 tire to a size 130/70-17 tire, et cetera.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #2149

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
As you take photographs, try to find the pilot mixture screw (PMS). The PMS of my Zongshen ZS200GY-2 carburetor is shown inside the yellow circle in the photograph below.

Also, look for any writing which will help us to identify the model of the carburetor. Try to take photographs of both left and right sides, and the bottom of the carburetor. After you post your photographs, I will start a new thread for you. This separate thread will serve as a future reference for everyone who owns a Zongshen RX3 with a carburetor.
Just went down to take another shot of the carb. Think i found both the screws.
Name:  IMG_20150224_232325.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  91.2 KB

Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #2150

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTEY View Post
Just went down to take another shot of the carb. Think i found both the screws.
I answered this question on your other thread. Let's keep all the carburetor questions over there, so the information will be in one place for anyone who is seeking knowledge in the future.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14455

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #2151

Welcome, Jay!

If you had a motorcycle shop close to you that you trust, you could have them lace a 17" rim to your existing hub. Might be less money than shipping an entire wheel from the US.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #2152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome, Jay!

If you had a motorcycle shop close to you that you trust, you could have them lace a 17" rim to your existing hub. Might be less money than shipping an entire wheel from the US.
I agree. However, either Jay or his shop will also need to acquire the longer, 17-inch custom spokes.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #2153

Send a message via Skype™ to jezzrite
Quote:
I agree. However, either Jay or his shop will also need to acquire the longer, 17-inch custom spokes.
Hey FTEY! Nice to meet my fellow country-dude here. I understand that you're from Penang? I studied there, back in 2001.

Weldangrind, so basically I can grab any 17in wheel off-the-shelf and lace it to my existing rim, and, like SpudRider said, I have to find myself custom spokes to fit the extra 2 inches in circumference. Am I correct?

Or, just purchase the 17in wheel straight from US. The good guys at CSC quoted me USD 250.00 for the wheel. So, add in some import tax, shipping cost, and other taxes, I think I'm looking at the price of almost double the original purchase price.

I'll compare the price difference after I go back to KL (hometown), though I'm leaning towards the first option, which I think is cheaper.

But, who knows, maybe the 2nd option will save me a lot of headaches, because I work at a rural tiny stolport, some 200km from Kota Kinabalu, and I'm not sure I can find the time to travel 400km to n fro just to lace the wheel.

Or maybe it's a blessing in disguise, to try the new toy up and down the windy roads of Crocker Mountain Range.

Can't wait for it to arrive! Thanks for the replies guys!

Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #2154

Quote:
...so basically I can grab any 17in wheel off-the-shelf and lace it to my existing rim, and, like SpudRider said, I have to find myself custom spokes to fit the extra 2 inches in circumference. Am I correct?

Or, just purchase the 17in wheel straight from US. The good guys at CSC quoted me USD 250.00 for the wheel. So, add in some import tax, shipping cost, and other taxes, I think I'm looking at the price of almost double the original purchase price.

I'll compare the price difference after I go back to KL (hometown), though I'm leaning towards the first option, which I think is cheaper...
Yes, you are basically correct. However, here is some more information.

Your rear wheel is composed of four parts: hub, sprocket carrier, spokes, and rim. The hub is the central component to which all other parts attach. Your RS3 bike has the same hub as our RX3 motorcycles in North America.

The sprocket carrier inserts into the left side of the hub, and connects the drive chain to the rear wheel. Your RS3 bike also has the same sprocket carrier as our RX3 motorcycles in North America.

The rim is the outer portion of the wheel which holds the inner tube and supports the tire. Your RS3 bike has a 15-inch rim, and our RX3 bikes have a 17-inch rim.

The spokes connect the rim to the hub. Your RS3 bike has shorter spokes than our RX3 motorcycles, since your 15-inch rim is smaller in diameter.

If you decide to build your own wheel, you need to buy a larger, 17-inch rim, and custom 17-inch spokes. Not every rim will fit; you need to select a rim which has the same number of spoke holes as your hub. Rims cost at least $100 USD, plus the cost of shipping. Custom spokes cost at least $110, plus the cost of shipping.

After you purchase the 17-inch rim and custom spokes, you will need to pay someone to disassemble your stock 15-inch wheel, and lace the larger rim to your stock hub. Therefore, if you exclude shipping charges, the cost of building your own wheel will probably exceed the cost of buying a new wheel from CSC.

It will cost more to ship an entire wheel from California to Malaysia. However, if you decide to build your own wheel, you will still need to pay shipping charges for the custom spokes and rim. In addition, you will also need to spend time, and pay travel expenses, to visit the other city where the custom wheel will be built.

If you have further questions about building a custom rear wheel, please do start a new thread on this topic.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #2155

Send a message via Skype™ to jezzrite
Quote:
Yes, you are basically correct. However, here is some more information.

Your rear wheel is composed of four parts: hub, sprocket carrier, spokes, and rim. The hub is the central component to which all other parts attach. Your RS3 bike has the same hub as our RX3 motorcycles in North America.

The sprocket carrier inserts into the left side of the hub, and connects the drive chain to the rear wheel. Your RS3 bike also has the same sprocket carrier as our RX3 motorcycles in North America.

The rim is the outer portion of the wheel which holds the inner tube and supports the tire. Your RS3 bike has a 15-inch rim, and our RX3 bikes have a 17-inch rim.

The spokes connect the rim to the hub. Your RS3 bike has shorter spokes than our RX3 motorcycles, since your 15-inch rim is smaller in diameter.

If you decide to build your own wheel, you need to buy a larger, 17-inch rim, and custom 17-inch spokes. Not every rim will fit; you need to select a rim which has the same number of spoke holes as your hub. Rims cost at least $100 USD, plus the cost of shipping. Custom spokes cost at least $110, plus the cost of shipping.

After you purchase the 17-inch rim and custom spokes, you will need to pay someone to disassemble your stock 15-inch wheel, and lace the larger rim to your stock hub. Therefore, if you exclude shipping charges, the cost of building your own wheel will probably exceed the cost of buying a new wheel from CSC.

It will cost more to ship an entire wheel from California to Malaysia. However, if you decide to build your own wheel, you will still need to pay shipping charges for the custom spokes and rim. In addition, you will also need to spend time, and pay travel expenses, to visit the other city where the custom wheel will be built.

If you have further questions about building a custom rear wheel, please do start a new thread on this topic.
Wow..thank you very much for the detailed explanation SpudRider!

Now I have much clearer direction of where am I going with my rear wheel dilemma.

From what I could count based on a photo of Honley Adventurer, the 15in rear wheel has 36 spokes. So, I'm gonna search for the rim, and spokesman too (haa!).

Thanks again dude! You the man!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #2156

Another beauty shot...out playing with the new Nikon and the RX3. Snow up in the San Gabriels today...

Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #2157

Quote:
So, I'm gonna search for the rim, and spokesman too (haa!).
Not bad.

Another option is to buy the complete rim on www.taobao.com. Not sure if they're available yet, but they will be. That's likely to be the lowest cost option.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #2158

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
Another beauty shot...out playing with the new Nikon and the RX3. Snow up in the San Gabriels today...

Great shot, Joe. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #2159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Great shot, Joe. Thanks.
X2. The blue bike does favor the camera.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-24-2015, 11:38 PM   #2160

Quote:
X2. The blue bike does favor the camera.
So I started this contest on the CSC blog a few hours ago. Lots of entries so far, but no winner yet.

I thought you guys noticed everything.