Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Brad's New Scoot

My buddy Brad needed wheels, and he had his eye on our Pastor's electric scooter for awhile. Brad's on disability and has limited resources, so he thought he couldn't afford the $1200 price tag that our Pastor laid out.

Enter Gio.

I followed the auctions for awhile and let Brad know that we could pick up a new scooter for less than $600, including taxes. He jumped at it. After what seemed like forever to him, the new scooter arrived, and we assembled it last night.

Here's Brad:

This is the box that filled up the entire cargo area of my Caravan:

Here's what we saw upon opening the lid:

Here's the first reveal with the box side open:

Here's the scooter after simply bolting the front wheel on:

After that, we had a couple of trim pieces and the trunk to install. The whole project was cake, except for the mosquitoes. The scooter is remarkably well equipped, it has plenty of storage and it comes with a rain cover. I was surprised to find out that the charger has a cooling fan that cycles until the battery is fully charged. Neat bike.

Brad will now be able to get around to the grocery store, Church, the Doctor and to the men's shelter where he volunteers. He's a very happy guy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #2

That's cool, I was wondering when someone here would look at one of these, I've seen them on craigslist forever...

I hope Brad is safe on this thing, no offense intended to anyone, but a lot of scooter riders I see are scary and dangerous... I believe because they don't need to do any sort of test or training to ride a scooter, electrics they don't even need a drivers license. I was walking down the side walk and one of these ones zipped right by me with no warning it was coming, sure ICBC considers it an electric bicycle, but I don't think the sidewalk is an appropriate passage for them.

Sorry for the long side track there... It really is a cool scooter and I hope he enjoys it. It's interesting to see how it is shipped out, I would have expected more of a crate inside that box.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #3

Thank you for posting the great photos, and the nice review of the Gio scooter, WG! I hope Brad enjoys his new scooter, and I hope God blesses him with safety as he rides it. May God bless you extending this kindness to a Christian brother.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #4

Looking forward to hearing updates about it's durability, range, power, etc...

Old 05-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Looking forward to hearing updates about it's durability, range, power, etc...
Indeed, please do keep us updated! That is really a nice little scooter for less than $600, including taxes!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
...It's interesting to see how it is shipped out, I would have expected more of a crate inside that box.
Yes, I was also surprised to see the scooter shipped without a crate. 8O Nevertheless, it seems to have arrived in good shape.

What is the size of the engine, WG?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments guys.

Brad came over today and rode off into the sunset on his new ride. I had left it in my shop overnight on the charger.

Jim, I'm with you on concerns about unskilled riders on these things. On that topic, I feel fine about Brad because he's had considerable experience with powerful motorcycles over a thirty year period.

Spud, I don't know exactly how to answer your question, except to say that the scoot is rated at 500 watts. The charger output is rated at 48 VDC, so I presume that the battery pack is comprised of four 12 volt batteries.

I'll likely see Brad tomorrow morning, so I'll ask him for an initial ride report.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-16-2010, 03:58 AM   #8

I recall reading something about the watts on craigslist... One of the local resellers had been spamming the craigslist, and then someone who bought from them responded and was pretty mad, because apparently the advertised wattage didn't match the wattage stated by the machine? I really don't know any of that stuff though, but does the motor on the machine have any info on it?

Either way, it should be restricted to 32km/h I believe, to classify itself as an electric bicycle and be allowed on the road.

Edit: Derryk I've sent you a PM with a link where I mentioned this when it originally was under discussion.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #9

Thanks for the link Jim.

I'll check Brad's machine next time I see it, although he's very happy, so I'm not gonna rock the boat.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #10

I am very glad Brad is happy with his new scooter. How long is the recharge time for this scooter, and how long does the charge last?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #11

No idea yet. My experience with gel cell lead acid batteries tells me that they should receive an eight hour charge if they're low, but ideally they won't be allowed to run low. Like any lead acid battery, they'll be compromised if drawn down too far.

I plugged the charger in and left it overnight for more than eight hours when we finished assembling the scooter. The charger is an intelligent type, meaning that it's fan cooled while charging, but the fan switches off and a green LED illuminates upon full charge. Brad subsequently rode the scooter home, buzzed around a bit, rode it to Church and back the next day and then stuck it on the charger. I cautioned him that he ought to charge the battery as often as possible for maximum life span.

His concern is that he's required to leave his scooter outside of his suite, and someone might walk off with the charger during the night. He's able to lock the scooter and set the alarm, but that doesn't protect the charger. I'm going to see if his charger can be connected to the battery while it's locked under the seat. If not, I'll fabricate an extension cord for the charger that will allow him to keep the charger indoors while it's connected to the scooter.

It would seem that the batteries have a really good range so far.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 AM   #12

I wanted to learn more, so I visited the Gio website for the first time. If I found the right bike, here are the figures I collected:

Charge Time: 3-8 Hours
Range: 30 Miles
Top Speed: 20 MPH

This is a very cool little bike, WG. Please do keep us updated regarding its durability, reliability, et cetera.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #13

First visit to the Gio site? I think they've got a really well setup website, if not the best of the Chinese bike dealers/distributors around here...

I wasn't trying to rock any boat either about the scooter power, I was only curious because I haven't seen any in real, or known anyone with the Gio one. I think the real issue there was a bad reseller.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #14

I'm glad to hear about Brother Brad.

Maybe he will join us over here and become part of our group and post a report on his new scoot?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
First visit to the Gio site? I think they've got a really well setup website, if not the best of the Chinese bike dealers/distributors around here....
Yes, the Gio website is set up very well. I am not in the market for Gio's prouducts, and I don't live in Canada, so I have not bothered to visit their website until now. However, I would certainly visit the Gio website much more if I lived in Canada.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220