Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #31

I believe that in some states, given state and federal "green" incentives, you could get a brammo between $5 and $6. So if you had a daily commute, that was within range, and wanted a new non Chinese bike, you might not be so far out of line. Charge it when you get to work maybe (free if you can find an outlet and are allowed), or at home over night. Now without the incentives and if you don't mind going Chinese or used, you can do much better then the Enertia for a cost efficient commuter.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I believe that in some states, given state and federal "green" incentives, you could get a brammo between $5 and $6. So if you had a daily commute, that was within range, and wanted a new non Chinese bike, you might not be so far out of line. Charge it when you get to work maybe (free if you can find an outlet and are allowed), or at home over night. Now without the incentives and if you don't mind going Chinese or used, you can do much better then the Enertia for a cost efficient commuter.
I agree completely. The main limiting factor for me concerning the electric motorcycles is the short range. Even if you buy the motorcycle primarily to commute to work, you can still ride a gasoline bike for long distances on the weekends. Filling the fuel tank with gasoline is a convenient, fast way to "recharge" the internal combustion engine.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #33

That's for sure... And range isn't even the problem, like you're saying, the problem is recharge time. If I could only go 100km's but I could recharge in 10 minutes it wouldn't be a big deal (unless I'm in a wide open state/province with big distances between towns).

Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #34

I agree. Even with a fifteen-minute, or 20-minute recharge time, the electric bikes would sell much better. However, you really can't take the electric bikes touring outside the urban environment when they only have a range of 100 miles, at best. :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #35

The replacement battery cost tops my list of concerns.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The replacement battery cost tops my list of concerns.
That's an excellent point! How long do the batteries last? :?:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #37

Battery Life: 500 cycles (30,000 miles) to 90% capacity

30K miles is more then most people put on their motorcycles, and at that point, the batteries are still good until 90% capacity. Thats what the specs say anyways.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Battery Life: 500 cycles (30,000 miles) to 90% capacity
30K miles is more then most people put on their motorcycles, and at that point, the batteries are still good until 90% capacity. Thats what the specs say anyways.
True, but you gotta watch the fast charging, as was mentioned a couple of posts earlier.
"Blink DC fast chargers, which use 480 volts and can charge a vehicle in under 30 minutes."
Lithium batteries don't like heat build-up during charge...
Tech keeps getting better, though...
Maybe the cars have something to help with cooling.
I feel a research session coming on...
Bill R

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Lithium batteries don't like heat build-up during charge...
Bill R
I agree, i have found that out in my LIPO packs for my RC plane, but the nice part is they are not using LIPO or Li-ion packs but the much better LiFePO4 batteries which while not the lightest of the bunch, are much better suited to high draws and faster charge times, here's a bit more info on the lithium phosphates batteries, i like the "will not catch fire if over charged", i haven't had a problem but i've heard of RC guys losing their cars and workshop/garages to LIPO fires while charging.

LiFe Rechargeable Battery
Why LiFe Battery?

•High Performance —High theoretical capacity of 170mah/g and high practical capacity as high as 165mah/g.
•Extremely Safe/Stable Chemistry —High intrinsic safety , no explosion & will not catch fire under collision, over charged or short circuit. High thermal stability of phases up to 500C.
•High Rate Capability —For all high power output application
•Extraordinary Long Cycle Life -Best can up to 2000 cycle life, would be over 8 times life of Lead Acid and 3-4 times of Li-ion.
•Long Service Life —Around 5~6 years
•Environmentally Friendly Non-toxic, non-contaminating and No rare metal
•Wide working temperature range —From -4 F to 150 F (-20 C–+70C) Extremely cold and extremely hot weather will not effect its performance
•Flexible Form Factor —Small in size and light in weight 1/3 weight of Lead Acid and 65% weight of NIMH.
•No memory effect
•Fast Charge —Can be fully charged in a very short time ---2C fast charge within half hour

Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
I agree, i have found that out in my LIPO packs for my RC plane, but the nice part is they are not using LIPO or Li-ion packs but the much better LiFePO4 batteries which while not the lightest of the bunch, are much better suited to high draws and faster charge times, here's a bit more info on the lithium phosphates batteries, i like the "will not catch fire if over charged", i haven't had a problem but i've heard of RC guys losing their cars and workshop/garages to LIPO fires while charging.
I saw a "vent with flames" episode at the air field...LIPO let go on the charger.
I had switched to the A123Syst cells for my heli...all lost in the flood.

We're getting some of the Blink charge units at work, in anticipation for the Volt and Leaf cars.
I've got to find that article...there was a reference to the 480 volt fast charger and that there was a degradation in battery life if used too often.
Still a good option for the cars and bikes.
Bill R

Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #41

Yeah, i believe the fast chargers will hurt the batteries in the volt and leaf as they use the Li-ion's and not the better LiFe batteries, knowing what i know about LIPO's that are used in RC i'm very surprized that Hyundai is going to use LIPO's on their hybrid.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #42

Yet another reason to not buy a Hyundai.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #43

I am not buying into the hybrid yet. Still much prefer a diesel. Really considering a TDI jetta for our next vehicle.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #44

I doubt I'd ever get a hybrid or an electric. Diesels are interesting though. I especially like the first generation Rabbit Diesels.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #45

Doc, You need a first gen Rabbit with a TDI swap. Fast and efficient.

90hp with 150lb/ft torque before having the pump turned up.

I believe the rabbit diesel had about 50hp stock.