Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2019, 02:13 AM   #286

Better to order the Barnett kevlar plates FOR a suzuki, rather than actual Suzuki plates. It'll be cheaper and last longer.

Charles.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #287

DH,

What shop did you take it to? Is it the SSR dealer you got it from? Or is there some other powersports dealer around there you use? Some of the shops are pretty snobby and I'd be surprised if they'd work on a chinese bike.
2003 Honda XR70
20XX SSR 125 Pit Bike
2011 Ninja ZX6R - Stolen
1996 Honda VFR750F - Sold -
2004 Suzuki GSXR750 -Totaled-

Bunch of cars and trucks. lol

Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
That's good new about the carb.

My clutch lever is garbage too but I thought that was just from crashes lol.

On the Suzuki tu250x forum I have read that the clutch engaging with the lever almost all the way out is a part of the design and to get used to it. I had a clutch cable go out last year and had to limp the bike home with lots of slipping. Replaced the cable but ithe clutch was never the same.

The bike was running like a bat out of hell the other morning while I did courier work in LA and I felt the clutch slip a few times. I really wish I had time to do the work myself, but it's at the shop now waiting its turn. The shop told me if they have time they will order Suzuki clutch plates and experiment with compatibility.
I would say courier work in LA is a pretty awesome proving ground for the durability of these bikes! It also means you have no fear, dh! LOL!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #289

Charles I looked up the Kevlar plates and they are indeed a good price. I will ask for those if it is indeed time. I am still curious to know if the plates might be ok, since it seems like the clutch actuator arm does not fully return to the "engage" position when I release the clutch lever. I don't know what the actuator spring looks like, but I'm wonder if that might be the problem.

Derekon the dealership I bought from is no longer selling SSR. I have a local shop that became a dealer and they have been more than happy to do work on this bike. I do most of my routine maintenance and find this bike really fun to work on but I have taken the bike to various shops (big and small) and surprisingly everyone has been really helpful.

2lz doing deliveries with the bike in LA is a lot of fun, I probably only do it about 8 hours a month but it is very hard on the bike as the roads are horrendous. I'm finding a new hazard to look out for in the city is electric scooter rentals! I nearly hit some drunk guy on one the other night when he decided to jump off the sidewalk (between parked cars) onto the road right in front of me. It's going to be really interesting when the transients figure a way to hotwire them and pull their shopping carts around.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
Charles I looked up the Kevlar plates and they are indeed a good price. I will ask for those if it is indeed time. I am still curious to know if the plates might be ok, since it seems like the clutch actuator arm does not fully return to the "engage" position when I release the clutch lever. I don't know what the actuator spring looks like, but I'm wonder if that might be the problem.

Derekon the dealership I bought from is no longer selling SSR. I have a local shop that became a dealer and they have been more than happy to do work on this bike. I do most of my routine maintenance and find this bike really fun to work on but I have taken the bike to various shops (big and small) and surprisingly everyone has been really helpful.

2lz doing deliveries with the bike in LA is a lot of fun, I probably only do it about 8 hours a month but it is very hard on the bike as the roads are horrendous. I'm finding a new hazard to look out for in the city is electric scooter rentals! I nearly hit some drunk guy on one the other night when he decided to jump off the sidewalk (between parked cars) onto the road right in front of me. It's going to be really interesting when the transients figure a way to hotwire them and pull their shopping carts around.
Ah yes, the scooter rentals. Thery're hitting here in Sac as we speak. Funny how our DMV fees go through the ceiling and we continue to vote ourselves gas taxes to "fix our roads", but the roads are never any better? Don't get me started.....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #291

Doh! Why vote for, or increase GAS TAXES?

Aren’t gasoline prices HIGH enough for you already?
Most of the increases in gas taxes don’t go to roads and bridges, they go to overly high pensions, pay raises and bonuses for State of California workers!
Look around as you travel the roads and bridges of California. Do you see any that might need repairs???? I’m sure you do ? Fixing the highways and byways of California is the last thing on the State’s list of things to fix. Pensions come FIRST!
Check gasoline prices around the U.S.A., I’m sure you’ll see California has the highest prices. And to think that California is also one of the highest producers of oil for refining.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #292

lol don't get me started on taxes here either in Kansas. We have a 6.5% food tax on groceries and our sales taxes are almost 10%. Freaking insane. And yea, our roads suck as well. That's government "efficiency" for you.

So I rode the bike to work today and there's a few min where i get on the highway. It feels good on power, well as good as an air cooled 250 probably can feel First through Third gears, but up in 4th, especially 5th, It just seems to fall flat on it's face. Wide open, it said i was doing 65-70, but i think it was more like 60mph judging by traffic. I had the throttle wide open the whole time just trying to do that. Do I still need a bigger main jet maybe? Or am I expecting too much? It has that 235 in it. DH, you changed your sprockets to make it more highway friendly, didn't you? How was it before? My tach isn't very accurate. I should have watched it to see if I'm maybe running out of gear and it'd show my RPMS maxed out. I guess i'm just not sure how much power I should have vs what I actually have, as I hadn't ridden another one.

It has the full lextek exhaust, stock filter but I drilled bigger holes in the airbox to increase airflow.
2003 Honda XR70
20XX SSR 125 Pit Bike
2011 Ninja ZX6R - Stolen

Old 05-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekon2s View Post
lol don't get me started on taxes here either in Kansas. We have a 6.5% food tax on groceries and our sales taxes are almost 10%. Freaking insane. And yea, our roads suck as well. That's government "efficiency" for you.

So I rode the bike to work today and there's a few min where i get on the highway. It feels good on power, well as good as an air cooled 250 probably can feel First through Third gears, but up in 4th, especially 5th, It just seems to fall flat on it's face. Wide open, it said i was doing 65-70, but i think it was more like 60mph judging by traffic. I had the throttle wide open the whole time just trying to do that. Do I still need a bigger main jet maybe? Or am I expecting too much? It has that 235 in it. DH, you changed your sprockets to make it more highway friendly, didn't you? How was it before? My tach isn't very accurate. I should have watched it to see if I'm maybe running out of gear and it'd show my RPMS maxed out. I guess i'm just not sure how much power I should have vs what I actually have, as I hadn't ridden another one.

It has the full lextek exhaust, stock filter but I drilled bigger holes in the airbox to increase airflow.
How many miles do you have on it? It still may be dang tight. If it's not at 500 miles, be kinda cool on it. Like I said in other posts, we had a member here take out a brand new Qlink, run it wide open for extended periods and blew it up not once, but twice, when the overhead cam suddenly locked in the head from heat. You should have seen those motors. As blued as a gun barrel.

If it's at WFO, you may need to increase the main jet with the better breathing on both ends.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #294

The Odometer is in KM, but I'll i think it's still under 300 KM, so i guess that's like 160 miles. lol I wasn't wide open very long. Maybe a few min just to keep from getting killed on the highway. My "commute" is like 4-5 miles. I'll take the long way home and work on break-in more. I also emailed Sigma (where I got the jetkit) to see what they think as well. I've changed the oil and filter once. I normally run the Rotella 15w40 in this bike and my DRZ.
2003 Honda XR70
20XX SSR 125 Pit Bike
2011 Ninja ZX6R - Stolen

Old 05-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #295

I guess i meant to say the 135 jet - i keep saying "235" instead of 135. I'm looking on JetsRUs as well. but they're pricey.
2003 Honda XR70
20XX SSR 125 Pit Bike
2011 Ninja ZX6R - Stolen

Old 05-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #296

"...to keep from getting killed..." LOL! Don't we all know that!

I got my jets from Jets-R-us on a number of occasions. I don't recall them being too pricey back then, but one thing I did like was wow....massive selection of both name brand and aftermarket jets.

I really think it will loosen up for you as you click on the miles. The mid-range and top end should wake up for you.

BTW, I found Q's oil filters on Amazon (K&N) for a smokin' price years ago and I now have a lifetime supply. Nice to have when a guy lives in the sticks.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #297

I had a hi-flo i bought on ebay - i just need to find the part number again and i'll order some more, and/or cross reference it to a wix number. I bought jets from them for my Honda XR70, I don't recall them being too expensive, but pilot jet alone for it is like 12 bucks.

https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_ca...i_slow_3U.html

My old carb has the bigger pilot jet, the new carb has the smaller style above.

The main jets aren't as bad, but still pricey. I saw some assortments on Amazon, but wasn't sure what to get:

https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_ca...in_hex_3T.html

I'm taking the long way home through town so i can work more on break-in. Overall it was still running and idling fine at least! Power feels decent in low and midrange in first few gears at least. Too much slop in the the throttle tube. So i might try to adjust it or replace it it down the road.
2003 Honda XR70
20XX SSR 125 Pit Bike
2011 Ninja ZX6R - Stolen

Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Ah yes, the scooter rentals. Thery're hitting here in Sac as we speak. Funny how our DMV fees go through the ceiling and we continue to vote ourselves gas taxes to "fix our roads", but the roads are never any better? Don't get me started.....
We don't have scooter rentals here in downstate Hellinois....what we do have are dipshits on weed eater engine powered bicycles screaming all around...no plates. No license. And not only are far too many of them toothless from methamphetamine abuse but they have no damn insurance. So imagine how pleased you are when one of these Rodney the trailer park rodents runs that pos bicycle into the side of your 2018 GMC ....

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-17-2019, 12:56 AM   #299

Derekon I think the bike should be doing better on the highway but like 2lz said, I think break in is a big part of it.

I changed sprockets a few times but now I'm back to stock. The higher gearing worked when I was in Las Vegas or LA but I'm back to riding at higher elevations where the 250 suffers a little.... any loss of power was enough to make 5th gear pretty much useless and 1st sucked on trail riding. At 70 in 5th it's doing around 7200 rpms.

For main jet, mikunis will work and they are much cheaper than the teikei. I found them on Rockymountainatv a few years ago, member Spudrider started a good thread about this carb with that info, I think I posted a link a few posts back.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:57 AM   #300

California's CARB just granted Shandong Pioneer a CARB certificate (my guess is a renewal) for the XF250 on 5/13/19

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad..._249_1d0_h.pdf

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard