Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Free Classifieds > Wanted
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

WTB Lifan 163fml-2m 200cc counter balance engine

The motor in my Lifan 200 GY-5 needs replacement. If anyone has one or knows of a good reasonable source please respond.

Thanks, Mike

mbwilser At yahoo d0t com

Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #2

If it helps you don't need the counterbalanced engine. Indeed you may prefer the non counterbalanced one. It's lighter with less parasitic friction and has more power . The difference in vibration is negligable. I have ridden both extensively.

Indeed it may have been a counterbalancer failure that killed your current motor.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip Doc. I guess I always felt that the Lifan counterbalanced engine gave less vibes than the two other lifanoids I've had. They were cheaper bikes and also geared lower so not really an apples to apples comparison. I would agree that the OHC lifans w/out the balance shaft do have a little more power, but they can be a little buzzy. I would also prefer something that is "plug and play" as far as the engine mounts go...okay now I'm dreaming

That being said, If anyone has something that will fit, please reply.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

Check your local CL for a used 200cc china bike. You can probably buy a whole bike for less than a new engine.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

I think the mounts are the same balance shaft of not.

Kato gives good advise, but in my area Hondoids rarely show up on CL and summers fading.....

Old 09-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
If it helps you don't need the counterbalanced engine.
Doc, Perhaps i am missing something. The counterbalanced engine appears about 1-2 inches longer at the base due to the counter balance and the front mounts appear quite different w/ the Hi Bierd hondoid...will the 163fml-2 (non counter balanced) sub directly for the 163fml-2m (counterbalanced). see pic below...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

I could be wrong... I've not compared the two side by side but as per my memory indeed they do appear different in that picture. Maybe someone will be able to confirm one way or the other...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #8

Thanks Doc, I barely have the time to do a simple plug and play engine swap. If it turns out that the frame and mounts are different b/w bikes and engines...let's not go there. Wild Alaskan I aint!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #9

I have two of the lower front engine mounts for non counter balanced engines. It looks to me like that may be the only difference.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #10

Thanks Kato, I have also been searching craigslist a bit, and per your advice have been searching "200cc" rather than "Lifan" and turned up a crop of busted and abused china bikes that may be potential donors. I'm being very careful the path I choose, hate like hell to get involved in a custom intall even for free.

Might also buy a Zong or Q if I fall into a deal. Might have time to take a closer look at the failed 163fml-2m lifan this weekend.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #11

Doc / Kato, I believe you guys are correct, after removing the front motor mount and dropping the engine, it appears a non counterbalance motor will fit by replacing the front mount and skid plate to match the motor. One mount sweeps forward, the other reverse so it visually appears the front down tube is at different angle, plays tricks on the old eyes.

Kato, depending on what direction I go, I may contact you for some parts....thanks guys!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #12

If you need them I have both the mount and the skid plate from a GY5.