Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post

I also finally came to a suitable end of my (never ending) OCS situation. I ended up putting it all back on, in the "unofficial" position so the hose doesn't kink....then I ran it out the bottom with a filter on the end. I ran it across the motor to keep it away from the chain....and high enough not to risk smacking anything with it. We don't do deep water so that's not a concern (I also have spares). Also, if it does drip, it's dripping to the side of the rear tire so I don't run over it. I think I'll keep it this way for a while.
2LZ, what is your reasoning behind your OCS configuration?

By installing the OCS upside down, you are filtering the condensed fluids going down the drain tube.....can't see any reason to do that.......but ???

jb

Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #602

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
2LZ, what is your reasoning behind your OCS configuration?

By installing the OCS upside down, you are filtering the condensed fluids going down the drain tube.....can't see any reason to do that.......but ???

jb
Why? Mainly because it came that way from the factory.

I saw it this way over many "pondering beers". While probably 90% of the (mostly dirt) bikes I've had over the years had no OCS whatsoever and ran straight to the ground, I figured I'd compromise. While the gasses do not run directly through the filter in the "unofficial" direction, the filter is indeed directly in the path of the escaping gasses. To me, that filter, while allowing totally free escape of all of the lighter crankcase gasses, would also catch the much heavier particles that we want to separate. So, (just my opinion) you get the best of both worlds.

My two main concerns about the "official position" were these. One, the hose likes to kink somewhat and it just doesn't seem the normal, natural position for it, Plus, that kink I feel could increase crankcase pressure. Also, running ALL of the gasses (both light and heavy particles) through that little cone filter will cause a restricted filter, which would also increase crankcase pressure.

Again, nothing scientific but just a lot of thought.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Why? Mainly because it came that way from the factory.

I saw it this way over many "pondering beers". While probably 90% of the (mostly dirt) bikes I've had over the years had no OCS whatsoever and ran straight to the ground, I figured I'd compromise. While the gasses do not run directly through the filter in the "unofficial" direction, the filter is indeed directly in the path of the escaping gasses. To me, that filter, while allowing totally free escape of all of the lighter crankcase gasses, would also catch the much heavier particles that we want to separate. So, (just my opinion) you get the best of both worlds.

My two main concerns about the "official position" were these. One, the hose likes to kink somewhat and it just doesn't seem the normal, natural position for it, Plus, that kink I feel could increase crankcase pressure. Also, running ALL of the gasses (both light and heavy particles) through that little cone filter will cause a restricted filter, which would also increase crankcase pressure.

Again, nothing scientific but just a lot of thought.

Thanks for the thoughtful explanation.....maybe one too many beers...

Haven't experienced any of the hose kinking problems, and am not concerned about the filter clogging.

I cut open the OCS canister at about 8,000 miles, and could not detect any sign of restriction in the filter.

Nevertheless, any solution that does not put the gases and condensed liquids back into the airbox is OK by me.

jb

Old 07-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #604

Got my new black muffler in and mounted. I just love it. Nice idle and cruise sound and only gets louder when you're on it. For the first time, my RX3 has some usable torque at low speeds, between 3500-5000 rpms. Not a ton but I can use very little throttle and not have to downshift and ring its neck to putt around back roads. My RX3 has always been completely anemic under 5K.

I liked the look of the black muffler so much, I ended up blacking out the windshield to match with some "Night Shades" I had laying around the garage. I put on six coats instead of the recommended two, on the inside of the windshield. After all, It's made for tail lights and I didn't need anything to shine through it.

As an unexpected bonus, for the first time I can see my blinker arrows! The black windshield keeps the sun off when it's not at my back. I think it also helped balance out the look of the big bag on the rear that always stuck up like a flying saucer.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 05-26-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #605

Actually it was Sunday, but I rode 350 miles from my home to Saint Augustine and back just for kicks. It was the first time in a month I had been able to get out on the bike due to work and other pressures on my time.

2016 CSC RX3 Sahara Orange

Old 08-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #606

Tribal RX3 Project Done

Finished the RX3 last night.

Here's before and after pics.

Engine: Obviously working within the constraints of the EFI and mapping, my goal was to have it breathe as well as possible. I added the black CRF230 muffler/spark arrestor, added a K&N cone filter off the TB (thanks a ton rtking!) and vented the OCS to the outdoors, filtered to help block any gremlins from entering the back door. Whether it's "faster" than Mrs. 2LZ stock unit, most likely not. I will say this for sure. It now has some useable mid-range between 3500-5000 rpms. My RX3 was worthless under 5k.

Motif: When I started this a couple months ago, my goal was to eliminate as much of the stock silver/gray paint (and bright white fork protectors) as possible. The passenger peg mounts, front axle mounts and fork guards I Plasti-Dipped, for ease of touch-up from marring and rock chips....and the rear grab bars/trunk mount, etc.... is paint. As stated in a previous post, I Night Shaded the inside of the windshield.

Graphics: Graphics are such a subjective topic. Some folks like nothing at all, some like lots of blazing color....and some of us, like myself, fall somewhere in the middle. As I worked my way across the bike spreading the blackness and especially once I mounted the headlight cage, it began to remind me something out of a Mad Max movie. I decided at that point that Tribal was to be the theme. I'm not really a flame guy....but I thought these worked well. Not too fancy, Tribal-style and seemed to fit the areas I wanted done as more of an accent than a statement. I'll try to get a better pic this evening. They're an onyx with a cool border that doesn't show up in this poor pic.

Anyway, it's all done. Time to move on to another project.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #607

More Pics

Finally got some decent pics this evening.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #608

Bike looks so much better. Great job.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #609

rideabout, whats that on top of your front fender? You going Robocop on us? rj

Old 08-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #610

2lz...you absolutely have to send these to cscdude and put these pics on the blog. Nice custom bike !
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-11-2017, 01:26 AM   #611

Really nice looking and I'm very intrigued by the new torque at lower RPMs. Very cool!

Old 08-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Really nice looking and I'm very intrigued by the new torque at lower RPMs. Very cool!
Thanks!....and I'm going to take both Mrs. 2LZ stocker out and see how the power may be different. I'm not sure if it was just my particular RX3 but it had NOTHING under 5k. Mrs. 2LZ seems to have at least a little something there.
I'll let you know. I wish I had a dyno nearby to compare the two.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #613

Not to totally get off topic here 2LZ but every time I see one of your posts and see that you have a Heikki Mikkola Replica my heart gets all twitterpated. Can you post just one little pic of it for us geezers who grew up during those times and remember the sweet smell of Castrol on the starting line? purdy please, rj

Old 08-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #614

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Not to totally get off topic here 2LZ but every time I see one of your posts and see that you have a Heikki Mikkola Replica my heart gets all twitterpated. Can you post just one little pic of it for us geezers who grew up during those times and remember the sweet smell of Castrol on the starting line? purdy please, rj
My pleasure and thanks for the interest! This was about 8 years ago....just before I mothballed it. It's now stored in my shed, out of harms way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG5830.jpg (63.8 KB, 389 views)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Ok...before anyone busts out the Sawzall and whacks up a 200.00 (now 259.00) muffler and does permanent damage, let me shine some light here.

We bought both RX3's "used" from a forum member in Oregon. The blue one had 17 miles on it and the white one had 67. Even when we picked them up, the seller said that the blue one would fire right up and the white one takes some cranking sometimes. Didn't think much of it.

I guess that's the problem with having two of the same thing. Differences stand out. My white one had NOTHING under 5k. It was like backup up off a cliff. Once 5k hit, you were falling.

The blue one (Mrs. 2LZ) that always fires right up? It ran differently. A smoother powerband that pulls evenly across the entire scale to redline. It has a nice ramp-up from about 4k....that my white one wouldn't even consider. Why? Who knows. The valves are adjusted the same, I run the same plugs, etc... The ony difference is that the blue one has a 13 tooth countershaft with the stock rear sprocket and I put the 14 tooth back on my white one, but grew the rear sprocket one tooth.

Am I happy with my white RX3 now? You bet. It has aat least a little something to work with under 5k now. I may end up going back to the stock air filter, as rtking said the K&N took away some of his top end. I may be experiencing that as well.

Bottom line? I took out Mrs. 2LZ bone-stock blue bike yesterday and it runs magnificently. Same thing. Nice little arc from about 3800-4 ramps up and pulls hard (for a 250) all the way up the ladder. If my white one would have run like that, I wouldn't have touched it other than cosmetic playtime.

So....something to think about.

2009 Q Link XP 200