Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #1

a Western Canadian new to Chinese bikes [longer]

Hi Everyone,

I recently decided to take the plunge and placed an order for two (one for my wife and one for me) of these:

http://www.panterramotors.ca/150ccdb.html

I think they may be Hensim bikes:

http://www.fancyscooter.com/item0133...dirt-bike.html

...but I'll check with the distributor. I got them for a really good deal from an Autosports store in Regina, Saskatchewan. I basically got both for still half the price of a comparable Honda.

One of the reasons, besides price, I got into these is because I always hear the old guys talk about the good ole days - tinkering and customizing Japanese cars and motorcycles in the 60s and 70s. While I admire Honda, etc. for their quality products, it's great to have a chance to see what the good ole days may have been like with these upstart Chinese manufacturers. 8) I know there will be minor problems but for what I need these should fit the bill and I love tinkering on unknown shite.

My wife thinks they're arriving at the end of June but I think they may be in today - hoping to surprise her. We'll see...

Cheers,
Rian

P.S. Fav. Chinese bike so far is this:

http://www.xxx-motorsports.com/200cc...b06-p-164.html

With street tires that thing would be the shite :twisted: . I may look at importing one later this summer.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #2

Arrived yesterday...the kids almost crapped themselves over how good they look (even disassembled). Looking forward to putting them together and going for a rip. Couple things I already noticed - airbox tubing to carb is a little wonky (pinched), will look into a pod filter - and they swapped out the Chinese plug for a Champion...I might still replace with NGK. Looking for ideas too re: decal for the front plates to diff. mine from my wife's (we got two identical bikes). Maybe a smokin' skull...

Have a look

http://static.flickr.com/66/16893009...50cdd9.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/55/16893005...1e6f3e.jpg?v=0

Cheers,
R.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Those look really nice! And, the back wheel is already on them! My Lifan 200 had both wheels off. Borrowed a friends bike lift to get it up in the air. I will be looking for your posts to see how you like them.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #4

Re: a Western Canadian new to Chinese bikes [longer]

Quote:
Originally Posted by panterra_rider
Hi Everyone,

I think they may be Hensim bikes:

http://www.fancyscooter.com/item0133...dirt-bike.html

...but I'll check with the distributor.
I checked and they are indeed manufactured by Hensim to the specs of Panterra Motorsports. Cool...I think that's a good thing.

yeah, dlunt, I'll keep posting here...

Cheers,
R.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:35 AM   #5

Link to more pics...got them together tonight:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94621577@N00/sets/

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Cheers,
Rian

Old 10-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #6

I guess I should have read further into this before making my other post -- this looks like the same bike I was asking about (except I was looking at the model with inverted forks)

So do you have an update on how it's doing? My concerns in the frame - any noticeable problems with the welds or anything?

I've been on 2 strokes for so long I don't remember if the small 4 strokes had decent low end power or not -- but I guess gearing changes could take care of that. What is your impression so far? (have you had it on some hard trails?)

Also - the specs say it's got 17" rear wheel, but pics on Hensim site show a 16" (I know there are several brands that make 16" rears for the big wheel mini's -- can you confirm if it's got a 17 or 16"?)

Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 PM   #7

Hey,

It's got a 17" rear wheel. The bikes have held up pretty good. The welds are not pretty and both the frame and motor are low-tech but for our needs the Hensims have been just fine. I did have to replace the fuel-tank (leaky fuel petcock) and the exhaust pipe (small rattle) under warranty on my bike. My wife's has worked flawlessly. As far as performance is concerned, check out this thread...

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...iewtopic&t=332

As an aside, for my part, I've spent quite a bit of attention and time to these bikes...I'm happy enough with them and trust them enough to start plans to throw the bikes in the back of the truck next summer and do longer 1- or even 2-day trails/tours. My buddy has beat the crap out of his and has done nothing to it except the needle-clip trick on the carb. His runs and works fine still.

The only thing I would say you have to watch for is I think there is a problem with consistency sometimes with all China manufacturers. In other words, spend some time when you first get the bike and make sure you didn't get a "Friday bike"...I say that because, though slight, there is a difference in quality of assembly between the two bikes I even got.

Hope that helps,
R.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by panterra_rider
It's got a 17" rear wheel.
Thanks for the responses - I think I'm going to go ahead and order one on Monday.

The 17" wheel is strange because this picture right from the Hensim site shows a 90/100 - 16... I hope they have 16" on the one I get because I have spare 19/16 tire sets laying around from my KX100 that was stolen.

I will certainly report back on my progress when I do get it and have it out on some good trails.

Thanks again,
John

Old 11-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #9

You can't believe everything you read on the 'Net :wink: My measurement was wrong...I did it too quickly before cuz it's cold up here now, even in my garage. My Hensim rear wheel IS a 16" and I should have been thinking because it lists this in my owner's and parts manuals - as well as on the TIRE. Sorry for the misdirection...must've been on glue too but I thought I'd measure to be sure.

One thing I'll say is that I'm not looking at bothering with other tire options...the stock ones did very very well for what I needed.

duh,
Rian

Old 11-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #10

Yeah, there were several web sites with 17" listed and after I talked to Hensim and some of the dealers they have started updating their sites to say 16".

I'm going to use the stockers as well for a while, but when they wear out I would suggest looking at the Michelin Starcross Mini -- they are super for traction in soft dirt and mud.... which I encounter a lot of in my woods riding. They really hook up great:

'02 Kawasaki KX125