Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #1

Rear rotor bolt mush-any known alternatives?

Title says it all.

Anyone know of replacement rotor bolts that will fit, other than stock?

Thank you in advance for whatever useful info you may provide

Old 03-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #2

I would look on the CSC website for the part: They usually list the metric specification which means finding subs is easy.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

It's the width and depth of the shoulder as well as head diameter that matter. All their info has in the description on their page is "Screw M8X16"

Old 03-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #4

http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....1&postcount=10

?

Is this what you are looking for?

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....1&postcount=10

?

Is this what you are looking for?
Yes, the brake rotor bolts for the first generation, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650, are a perfect match for the RX3 rotor bolts.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #6

Spud, wish you had found them last summer....

Another tip for trying to avoid stripped bolt heads:

Besides using a heat gun to soften the thread locker, use a hex wrench or socket that has the tip squared off.

I used a grinder to square off the crown on the hex socket.

That allows the hex to seat deeper into the socket head.

Even so, when torquing the new bolts, I could feel the socket head on the bolt starting to strip.

jb

Old 04-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the cross reference. Much appreciated

Old 04-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Spud, wish you had found them last summer....

Another tip for trying to avoid stripped bolt heads:

Besides using a heat gun to soften the thread locker, use a hex wrench or socket that has the tip squared off.

I used a grinder to square off the crown on the hex socket.

That allows the hex to seat deeper into the socket head.

Even so, when torquing the new bolts, I could feel the socket head on the bolt starting to strip.

jb
That's absolutely my experience with hex heads, but with a twist - for me it was a hex bit set that had the rounded heads that caused me a lot of bother.

I bought a 3/8 drive set from Autozone (Duralast I think) and they were squared off and very hard; they've been very good on caliper pins in particular.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #9

The rounded crown on some hex head bits have caused the unnecessary rounding out of a lot of heads for folks....really irritating. I've done the same thing...ground the stupid things flat.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
The rounded crown on some hex head bits have caused the unnecessary rounding out of a lot of heads for folks....really irritating. I've done the same thing...ground the stupid things flat.
Exactly.

It would go a long way in solving many maintenance issues if CSC could specify a better quality of bolts, nuts, and screws.

I have replaced all the body panel bolts and screws with stainless steel ones, and a dozen or more bolts on other parts of the RX3.

In 50+ years of doing my own maintenance and repairs on motorcycles, cars, outboard engines, tractors, and lawn equipment, I have never stripped so many bolts on any one vehicle.

jb

Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 AM   #11

I just replaced the valve cover bolts on mine today with stainless steel ones, washers and lock washers using anti-sieze. The stock ones has started to round and I had to use an SAE socket on one of them as the metric WAS spinning. It's an old trick my father taught me that works sometimes as you get lucky with the SAE being just a bit tighter in some sizes than a metric equivalent.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
I just replaced the valve cover bolts on mine today with stainless steel ones, washers and lock washers using anti-sieze. The stock ones has started to round and I had to use an SAE socket on one of them as the metric WAS spinning. It's an old trick my father taught me that works sometimes as you get lucky with the SAE being just a bit tighter in some sizes than a metric equivalent.
I've also heard of people using a few stripes of sand paper between bolt and wrench to take up the slop and give added grip or coarse valve lapping compound to tighten grip up on warn socket head cap screws. rj

Old 05-15-2017, 02:49 AM   #13

I wanted to get confirmation that others have been successful getting them off with a heat gun instead of a torch? If so, how much time did you let it heat on a single bolt?
Here is a pretty cool video doing a comparison of different methods to remove Loctite bolts. The heat gun took 4 mins vs 1 min with a torch. However, the small exposed bolt is definitely a best-case scenario as it gets direct heat, compared to our hub mounts.

I'm debating to buy a butane torch. I'm also having no luck removing my swingarm bearings with the heat gun and hammering down on a 19mm socket.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #14

RC, I use a hand held butane torch. It's easy to control exactly where the heat is going. My heat gun blows out a larger blast of hot air, heating up much more area than I want....and not getting nearly as hot where I really want the heat. With the torch I found it super easy to remove those bolts. I also replaced the OEM rotor bolts with aftermarket ones which seem to be made of much harder metal.

Peter Y.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #15

About the rotor bolts, a question: are they the same front & rear?

Regards,
Juanro