Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #31

Nice choice! Congrats! Now THAT'S a way to fix a problem! :-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Nice choice! Congrats! Now THAT'S a way to fix a problem! :-)
well you know what they say about lemons and lemonade

Old 04-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #33

hawk is sold, pending........now I have to make up my rx3 farkle list

Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
hawk is sold, pending........now I have to make up my rx3 farkle list
Wow; that was quick! Good for you.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #35

Quote:
well you know what they say about lemons and lemonade
...and I find a splash of cheap vodka helps both.
Congrats on the fast Hawk sale! A very clean recovery! I also have to admit your attitude through this whole mess has been stellar... Nice work. I would have had to spend at least 24 hours completely unglued.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #36

In the words of comedian Ron White, "If life hands you lemons, go find someone who's life handed them vodka and have a party."

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #37

We love Ron white.... My wife would leave me in a second for him! Lmao!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:06 AM   #38

well it didn't sell. girlfriend said it was too tall for her. $700. gets someone a new bike, 40km, sprockets done and carb swap done.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #39

Quote:
well it didn't sell. girlfriend said it was too tall for her. $700. gets someone a new bike, 40km, sprockets done and carb swap done.
Ron, Why don't you pull the off road sticker from the engine and try another DMV? Seems to be hit & miss in many states. One accepts it, Another does not.........

Old 04-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Ron, Why don't you pull the off road sticker from the engine and try another DMV?.......
Plus, if DMV blesses it that way, it will also be much easier to sell....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #41

Ron, on behalf of RPS I'd like to apologize. I know that doesn't really help. Let me be clear, as some of our vendors are not, there ARE issues with getting the Hawk onroad. Many states have no issues at all, but without a lawyer in every state its difficult for us to understand the situation. To some extent, the problem is on our end, clearly more needs to be done to comply with onroad standards. However, at least some of the problem is related to state bureaucracies. Its difficult (and expensive) to engage 50 state governments and all the layers of federal bureaucracy. In states with issues, a number of people have been able to simply contact a different DMV and get it licensed. Unfortunately, it's not always clear what the issue is or how exactly to resolve it. The various government branches are typically opaque, or non-functioning. One of the state DMVs I contacted said they were unable to respond because the state no longer has a budget. So even if we make changes, they are unable to process paperwork.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #42

Adam, Does the MSO mention off road at all??? If not just removing the sticker on the Starboard side of the engine would suffice IMHO. I am not afraid to get into the gooberments face on stupid crap like this. Too many years of dealing with bureaucracies i guess.....

Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #43

Here is a $61.75 solution..... http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...e-for-ANY-Bike

Old 04-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rinkleff View Post
Ron, on behalf of RPS I'd like to apologize. I know that doesn't really help. Let me be clear, as some of our vendors are not, there ARE issues with getting the Hawk onroad. Many states have no issues at all, but without a lawyer in every state its difficult for us to understand the situation. To some extent, the problem is on our end, clearly more needs to be done to comply with onroad standards. However, at least some of the problem is related to state bureaucracies. Its difficult (and expensive) to engage 50 state governments and all the layers of federal bureaucracy. In states with issues, a number of people have been able to simply contact a different DMV and get it licensed. Unfortunately, it's not always clear what the issue is or how exactly to resolve it. The various government branches are typically opaque, or non-functioning. One of the state DMVs I contacted said they were unable to respond because the state no longer has a budget. So even if we make changes, they are unable to process paperwork.
Being a Gov't employee for the last decade (after being private industry the first 37 working years of my life), I can tell you this for sure, no gov't employee is going to hang their neck out to "be cool" to just one guy who wanders in trying to get something done that's not acid-etched in regulation somewhere. We're watched like hawks. It's not worth the risk, write up and forfeit of possible merit increase when the time is due for review. In these cases, a person can't really blame what people perceive as the "inept government employee". He/she are just trying to save their own butt...and that employee also knows that the guy across the counter is just trying to get something done and he doesn't give a hoot about the nameless, faceless gov't person behind the counter. That's the mistrust that's just the Nature of the Beast and why that perception exists.

Unfortunately, I tell people "no" all the time in my line of work. It's just part of it and not worth slipping something under the table that's questionable or may cause more grief down the road for either the employee or the customer wanting something. In this case, it really is "buyer beware".

Mostly what I find is that there's gray areas in either law or regulation that cause these issues more than anything. The average, low level, employee across the counter isn't going to bend rules or make a grand decision, regardless of how much someone gets in their face, just to be nice. Hey, if a manager gives a blessing, that's fine! It's on them now! Sorry folks, but that's how it works.

Personally, I'd tug the "dirt only" tag, go to a different DMV and roll the dice!...because if a bike says that on it, the guy you're talking to most likely won't budge on it. It's not worth the risk. If the bike says nothing of the sort, then there's no noticable reason to refuse unless it comes up "dirt only" in a data base when the VIN is typed in.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #45

its all good. im 48 yrs old and don't let the little things bother me that long. my son turned 22 Monday and guess what else he,ll be getting for a late B,day present.