Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

FYI high speed wobble, head shaky FYI

I've read several places on here where people experience high speed wobble on their RX3.
FYI There can be a number of reasons for this on ANY bike.
FYI This post isn't how to trouble shoot and fix the bike.
FYI This post is about WHAT TO DO IF your going down the freeway and experience this and don't want to end up sliding down the road on your head with bike in tow.
FYI If ANY bike you are on wobbles or starts shaking ,SIMPLY LEAN YOUR UPPER BODY FORWARD CLOSER TO THE HANDLE BARS and it will/should stop.
FYI By moving the center of gravity forward (read my fat a$$) it stops the shakies. I've been going down the highway loaded down many times and at speed it starts to shake. RX3, DR650, Versys. I lean forward and it no shaky no more.
FYI To experiment ,I lean forward then backward and I find the spot where it will start wobbling .Weight distribution is that sensitive. .
FYI There may be a reason it wants to do the wobbles and you should check that out. Loose head bearings, low tire pressure, windscreen ,hand guards acting like airplane wings, luggage heavier towards rear of bike, etc.
FYI But leaning forward will save your underware and get you back under control quicker then thinking about it, and then Bob's your uncle , Or so I've found. rj
YMMV
Caviat Emptor, etc, etc

Old 05-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #2

I've been riding for 53 years and just figured this out my last ride, 470 miles, 430 in steady rain. Low on fuel, wobbles and such at speed. Add 2.5 gallons of fuel, no wobbles. I have retrofit a pair of 4x6 LED headlights, about 7 pounds. That far forward should make a difference. Went through all the normal checks and tightened the triple a bit. Still thinking ways to stash tools under the plastic in front of the fuel tank. Significant wasted space there. Thinking about a front rack, that will move headlights about a foot further forward for better leverage and allow more storage, like a canoe bag with bedding for trips.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #3

sqwert, we would be interested seeing your idea of tool storage under the tank plastic covers. I hate wasted space, especially in my wallet when I open it, plenty of space but no green to be found.
Also another thought I had after reading your post is if you can go to the other extreme with too much forward weight ??? I have no idea and don't know how it would act if it was heavy on the front? I think on trailers you want some tongue weight? If to heavy on the front , would you lean backwards to get out of a wobble? That would be interesting at speed going down the freeway where everybody could see me.
Keep us posted if you discover good or bad with forward weight OK, rj

Old 05-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #4

here's a thought, on something I nearly did to utilize the wasted space under both of the side flank tank covers
I'm pretty sure a 1-2L hydration bladder would fit in there.
Cut a hole large enough for the neck to pass through. Screw on cap would keep it in place
You would have to transfer fresh water to it however, as removing and reinstalling the flank covers would become tiresome I would think, even if the screws were replaced with wings.
Just a thought