Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2019, 12:43 AM   #1

It's Shocking!

I had the Hawk out today to go pick up a prescription for the Mutant. Little guy isn't feeling well. I hopped on the bike wearing some sneakers, shorts and a t-shirt (we can discuss my super-duper-safety-shorts later). While I was riding, my right calf touched the kick starter arm. It felt like I was getting shocked! At first I just dismissed it as my brain mis-interpreting the sensation of my leg hitting the arm, but it happened again and sure enough, I'm getting zapped. I checked the spark plug wire when I got home and it seems to be in pretty good shape. I don't think there's anything arcing out there (the shock didn't seem ignition-coil strong), so I'm kind of at a loss as to what could be zapping me. Any help, thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-29-2019, 12:51 AM   #2

I would check elsewhere along the wiring, might have a circuit shorting into the frame, and since the motor is not isolated from the frame, and the kick starter is not isolated from the motor, you would be completing the ground?

No matter what the case is, it sounds like the engine ground strap isn't doing a very good job if you can earth it enough to get a zap.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

Dan; I'll have to start by asking a somewhat silly question: Where is the ground strap even supposed to be? I can start by looking for that, and go from there. Also, the shock only happens at about the middle of the RPM range. Just starting out it's fine, and when I really put the spurs to it, it's fine. Just about the middle of the RPM range is when I get zapped. I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but my thinking is that the voltage regulator (still the stock unit on my ride) is either a) getting weak and just discharging any excess voltage of b) wasn't very good to begin with and I'm just now picking up on the issue.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #4

Hmmm, not saying I doubt you but most of the voltages coming from that bike you wouldn't even feel without an excellent ground, except the coil.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #5

Main ground wire is located behind the cylinder and near the back side of the starter on the right side engine case. Easiest to see from the right side.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

Place one multimeter probe on the kicker and the other on a frame bolt while the bike is running (set to ACV). Do you see any stray voltage? Have someone rev it up while you test.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

Maybe something defective with the coil? Isn't it bolted to the frame?

I second one legged rider. The coil, the spark plug, or the plug wire would be the only thing I can think of that would create and/or transfer that kind of power.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

It's the Flux Capacitor trying to kick in. Some how you need to get up to 88 mph for it to kick in completely.

That is strange.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #9

It has to be a bad engine ground to the frame and you're feeling some energy from the coil/spark assembly that's taking a path from your leg to possibly your hands or feet?

After all my years of welding, be it laying on damp ground doing a frame repair or exhaust work, or working on a jig with 5 guys and some idiot didn't connect his ground strap properly, I'm kind of immune to it. Yeah, you can feel it biting you, but laying a steady bead is more important.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Hmmm, not saying I doubt you but most of the voltages coming from that bike you wouldn't even feel without an excellent ground, except the coil.
It's definitely enough to feel. Not a bad shock (like getting hit with 277V emergency power), but enough to know that something isn't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Maybe its just vibration in the kick start lever and it feels like a shock.
Nope, it's a shock. I can pull my calf away from the kickstarter a bit and it will arc. Vibrations don't tend to do that. Unless it's a REALLY bad vibration, and that's not the case with the Hawk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
It's the Flux Capacitor trying to kick in. Some how you need to get up to 88 mph for it to kick in completely.

That is strange.
The only way the Hawk is getting up to 88 mph is if I push it over a cliff...

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
It has to be a bad engine ground to the frame and you're feeling some energy from the coil/spark assembly that's taking a path from your leg to possibly your hands or feet?

After all my years of welding, be it laying on damp ground doing a frame repair or exhaust work, or working on a jig with 5 guys and some idiot didn't connect his ground strap properly, I'm kind of immune to it. Yeah, you can feel it biting you, but laying a steady bead is more important.
Been there, done that... More than once... Something about being a slow learner...

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Place one multimeter probe on the kicker and the other on a frame bolt while the bike is running (set to ACV). Do you see any stray voltage? Have someone rev it up while you test.
Weld, I'll try to take a look at this in the next few days. I'm sure that there's some stray voltage escaping somewhere. Unfortunately, both the charging system and the coils are A/C voltage, so it's going to make it a little harder to run down.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Main ground wire is located behind the cylinder and near the back side of the starter on the right side engine case. Easiest to see from the right side.
How surprised should I be that after an (admittedly cursory) inspection, it doesn't appear my bike rolled off of that meticulous and precision assembly line with a ground strap where the omnipotent MegaDan says there should be one?

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-30-2019, 11:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
How surprised should I be that after an (admittedly cursory) inspection, it doesn't appear my bike rolled off of that meticulous and precision assembly line with a ground strap where the omnipotent MegaDan says there should be one?
Follow the big green negative cable from the battery. It should be bolted right in the area described.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #15

I don't mean to detract here......a few years ago, I was working on a fuel tanker...I touched the earth as I was kneeling down while touching the plumbing of the tank. Got a heck of a shock. Spark jumped. After studying the situation, and realizing I was not greeting St. Peter at the pearly gates, I found the truck engine heater was plugged in, and somehow the heater or the cord was leaking electricity. After unplugging, no more jolt. Was really a weird situation. Any kind of an electrical leak, potentially, can ignite gas tank fumes. Fumes can be ignited by static electricity.

Also, while on the subject....remember your transistor radio battery, that you touched your tongue to and got a little jolt? Put on one of those in your metal dumpster, they are strong enough to cause a spark and a fire.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".