Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Weld, it's not so much that new rings are made of unobtanium, they're actually pretty easy-to-obtainium. ...
1.5/1.5/2.5 rings can be found in some 170F (ie. those chinese 7hp...) http://www.anerda.com/3g/ProList.asp...=0,286,&Page=4
---
After digging deeper in piston maker's page http://www.jhpiston.com/about_can/, found out Yamaha 7D9 (as in MZ200/ PW3028 pressure washer) is also 1.5/1.5/2.5 rings

Last edited by humanbeing; 10-23-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #32

I get that logic. It was the same with my old TW, which laid on it side. In a field. For 10 years. Ugh.
I actually got it to run and rode it for a season before tearing it all apart.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #33

So I had a few hours to do some more tinkering on the Scrambler. The swingarm pivot bolt is the only place I've found grease that was still recognizable so far. That one came out pretty easy. I got the front triple trees off, and like everybody else who does that job I dropped the steering bearings all over my garage floor. Found them all (I hope) and got everything bagged and tagged. The races looked really bad at first glance, but it turned out to just be old petrified grease and dirt. I cleaned them up with a brass wheel on my drill and they look great. I had thought about replacing them with a set of taper bearings, but I think I'll just stick with these for the time being. As I mentioned, I remove the swingarm to start breaking down the rest of the frame and getting it ready to spend some time addressing the rust. This is where the bad news keeps on coming.
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1540812958
I'm going to need a new rear hoop. I realize that of all the things I'm finding (or not finding, as the "it's all there" post was written) needing a new rear rim isn't the end of the world. It's just a little irritating to me personally that I didn't notice it when I went on my mini shopping spree and ordered a boatload of parts. Oh well, It'll all have to get done sooner or later. As for the next steps, I'm going to be tearing into the carburetors (which actually don't look like they were out in a field for 25 years), and finishing up the frame strip down. I'm also going to be calling a local welding and machine shop to see about getting the upper triple clamp welded back together and the brake cable boss on the front brake hub repaired. And so the adventure continues!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9060.jpg (42.1 KB, 244 views)

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-02-2018, 04:50 AM   #34

The worst bike I have rebuilt was in show room condiction
compared to this.. (77 Montesa 348 Cota)
the KL250A1 I'm doing at the moment is bad..but nothing like this..

Just imagine the first ride around the block...
thats when it's all worth it...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 11-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #35

A few more stray hours in the garage today. I managed to get the rear brakes all broken down, with an emphasis on the broken... Same thing on the rears as up front. The friction material was completely separated from the shoes, and the pivots were all seized up. I actually wound up drilling the shoes next to, and parallel the pivot pins, then hammered a flat blade screwdriver in the holes to break the shoes away from the pivots. I managed to do surprisingly little damage to the pivot pins, and I figure that the little bit the drill bit did catch the pins will just hold that much more grease when it all goes back together. The next thing to happen will be to finish stripping the frame down, then I'll start working the rusty bits with a wire wheel and some etching primer. I think I'm going to paint the frame gloss black (yeah, real original and daring, I know), along with the wheel spokes and cylinder section of the engine. I'm going to leave the wheel hubs polished aluminum, and the rims will be polished chrome. I haven't decided what color I want to paint the side covers and tank yet. I'm kind of leaning towards either a sunburst yellow, or British racing green. That's still a long way off yet. The next thing I'm going to get is a sandblasting cabinet from Harbor Freight. That will be a huge help in getting all these parts prepped and back together. But I can't get that until we get into the new house. I have a meeting with the builder on Thursday, and the timeline should lay out for us to move in around the middle of June. Fun times!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-06-2018, 07:26 AM   #36

As usual, any time spent working on a 40 year old bike will have some good news, and some bad news. First, the good news: The frame is now 100% stripped down and cleaned up. The weather out here in Phoenix is getting a bit chilly, but still nice enough for working out in the garage, and more importantly, still nice enough to shoot some paint. I got the rear swingarm cleaned and painted last week, along with a few other odds and ends. The frame will get painted this weekend.
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1544098701
Now the bad news: The rear brake pedal has a pivot rod that connects the pedal to the frame, and also serves as the pivot for the centerstand. As you can imagine, the bike being left outside exposed to the elements for 25 years didn't do it any favors. The rod was completely seized to the brake pedal, and I had to use the trusty angle grinder and cutoff wheel to get it out.
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1544098882
This leaves me with two problems now. 1) The rod is still stuck inside the brake pedal, and needs to be removed so I can fit a new rod, and 2) I have to find a new rod that is in usable shape, or have a machine shop whip one up for me. Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be many machine shops out here in Phoenix. They mostly revolve around heavy industrial or production industries, and as a result a guy walking in the front door with a unique job isn't something they really jump on. Once I get the frame painted up and ready to go, I'll be able to start on the reassembly phase. I'm going to order the wiring harness and a few other odds and sods this weekend. I'm going to have to get some time set aside to dig into the engine, as well. That's going to require a complete teardown and overhaul. I also need to get the massive dent banged out of the exhaust system. It's a process, no doubt about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9156.jpg (58.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9174.jpg (41.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9175.jpg (39.6 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9176.jpg (52.0 KB, 190 views)

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #37

What is unique about the rod? Does it step up or down? Can it just be a piece of DOM tubing? I searched for it on BB, but only found a 350, not a 450. Tell me if the diagram matches what you have.

Name:  Pedal Shaft.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  11.0 KB

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #38

It's about 9 degrees F out here today with 20+ mph winds... what is "a bit chilly" in the South?

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #39

Item 13 on the parts breakdown. It steps in two places to capture grease.
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1544137563

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
It's about 9 degrees F out here today with 20+ mph winds... what is "a bit chilly" in the South?
It only got up to 60 here, can you believe it? They were'mt kidding when they said this would be a cold winter...

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #41

Quote:
It only got up to 60 here, can you believe it? They were'mt kidding when they said this would be a cold winter...
T-shirt weather.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
T-shirt weather.
I was in a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops yesterday. It's tough, let me tell you, very tough...

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Item 13 on the parts breakdown. It steps in two places to capture grease.
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1544137563
I would be surprised if I couldn't make something like that. Can you give me dimensions? The relieved areas that capture grease could be ground out in a hillbilly fashion, since it only matters that grease can be applied. It doesn't need to be pretty inside.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #44

Weld, I sent you a PM about the parts. Thanks!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-29-2018, 03:49 AM   #45

Just to update everyone that I have nothing to update about, I took this week off because I was going to get some work done on the Scrambler. It didn't work out. The Bambino was sick on Christmas Day, and didn't want to do anything but cuddle on the couch all day. If you put him down for any reason at all, he would just stand there and cry and scream with his arms up. We think it was a combination of something he ate, and his molars coming in. He's got eight teeth in there now, so I can imagine things are getting a bit crowded for him, and causing him a bit of pain. I also went into the field on Thursday to help out one of our cooler account managers. He managed to take a piece of business away from a competitor, and wanted to get me in there pronto to install the equipment. Long story short, there was still a ton of the old chemical left over (because that's the way this particular competitor operates, they undercut the price by a huge margin, but then order a couple thousand dollars worth of chemical to sit on the customer site), and I won't be doing the equipment install until the middle of January at the earliest. Back to the Scrambler, maybe. I was out in the garage a few times, and came to the realization that I don't have the stuff I need to get it back together as a roller, and so all I can really do is finish cleaning and painting the frame. Great! I'll do that!... But wait. If I paint the frame now, it's likely going to get pretty scratched up between now and the move into the new house, and even more likely during the move to the new house... On top of that, I don't have the parts needed to overhaul the new forks I picked up, or get the brake hubs cleaned up enough to go back together. I also don't have brakes for either end, or wheel bearings, or a new rear rim. ::Sigh:: I guess this project is going to go on the back burner until we get into the new house and I get a couple workbenches built so I can lay out some of the parts, and maybe tear into the engine. I also need to pick up a sandblasting cabinet and an air compressor to run it. A parts washer is likely also in my future... So there's my no update update. Thanks for coming along for the ride.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up