Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #16

I finally managed to carve out some time to work on the new(er) CB450 this past weekend. I managed to get the engine back in time (the intake cam slipped two teeth on the chain, and the exhaust cam slipped one), and set the points. There's a really good video on YouTube.com by Common-Motor that lays out a lot of the tips and tricks for setting time on these older points ignition engines. Anyway, the bike ran for about 15 seconds of mechanical destruction, then the engine locked up... I couldn't tell where the expensive sounding noises were coming from, but I don't think it really matters anymore. I drained the oil again and there were tons of very small aluminum flakes. It seriously looked like I dumped a whole tube of silver glitter in the drain pan. I'm not going to be able to do any more work on it until we get into the new place, so I pushed it off to the side of the house and threw a tarp over it. If I could have figured it out and gotten it running again, I could spend some time here and there tinkering with it, but since the engine decided to give up the ghost, it's going to the back burner until after the move. I think I'm actually going to try to overhaul the Scrambler engine first, and then drop that engine into the CB frame. Then once the CB engine is tended to, I'll swap them out and begin the Scrambler project in earnest. Well, that's the update so far. Hope everyone is doing great out there! -E

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #17

That's a bummer! I've been there before with a CB650 engine, and it ended up being the timing chain failing, wrapping around the crank, and swinging around until it jammed the crank gear with the internals. Looooots of aluminum got ground off in the process. Amazingly, I was able to save the engine, even if it wasn't the prettiest through the middle of the cylinder body.

Otherwise, I can only assume you lost a piston somehow.

I will offer a sacrifice to the failure gods at my shrine in hopes that it isn't anything too serious.

Yes, I actually have a shrine of failure, that is not a joke.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #18

'Preciate it, Dan. I'm really kind of bummed that I won't be able to ride that bike over to the new place. I was really looking forward to getting one of the vintage bikes back together and ready to ride. With the new house trucking right along (have you ever seen how fast they knock these things together nowadays? Talk about scary fast), I'm just not going to have the time to dig into everything. Like I said, I have some scrap lumber laying around I can use to make an engine stand for the Scrambler mill. Maybe get that one up and running, then drop it in the CB frame until I can do a teardown on it. If I find anything really bad, I'll send the parts out to you so you can install them in your shrine of failure.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #19

Well, hopefully one of those motors will be kind to you until you can get the other sorted out. I started getting into the practice of doing full tear down inspections on my old project bikes anymore. The cost of a few gaskets and some time has probably saved me from more than one catastrophy.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #20

You're 100% correct. I even had the gasket kit on the shelf for the engine, but I wanted to see what I was up against, first. That's why I got it started. I was really hoping it was just a timing issue and I could get it sorted out without having to tear into the engine. Oh well, now I have something to occupy the next few weekends to see if I can get an engine cobbled together.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up