Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #16

Bump
This is still in the plan for me, as it will be my 'big trip' for this riding season.

Just wanted to bring it back to the forefront.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #17

I'm still planning on it as well. Recently made my reservations at Old Clark Inn. They still have rooms. There are other motel and camping options around Marlinton. I expect to get more serious about planning meals, activities etc when dates get a bit closer. Looking forward to it!

Old 03-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #18

I just called Andrea at Old Clark. She had one reservation for 'our' weekend, now has two. That leaves 12 beds available. Remember that Joe is going to try to include this stop on his RX3 CA to NJ caravan. That means it is a good idea to make your reservation now so you are not left standing when the rooms sell out. With that said, there are overflow options if Old Clark sells out...just not as much fun to be at a different location than the main group. You know that if you are not around we'll talk about you!

Peter Y.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #19

Need approximate head count for the WV RX3 Rally

So the August 24-27 RX3 rally in Marlinton West Virginia is fast approaching. Peter and I would like a head count for those planning on attending so we can start thinking logistics such as meals. Again, this is an informal gathering and folks are on their own to make reservations at Old Clark Inn, the central point for the rally.

Please let us know if you are a "yes" or even a "maybe" at this point. Thanks and see in you Marlinton.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #20

Count me 'in'

Old 07-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #21

Rally Plans

So with Peter, Tinman, and myself all onboard, and a few possibles, we are going ahead with this historic East-of-the-Rockies RX3 rally.

Plan is for Peter to stay Thursday night, August 24, at Old Clark Inn. I plan to ride out Thursday from Northern Virginia as well, but if weather permits, I might camp Thursday night near Marlinton and join the meet up Friday Morning at the Inn no later than 9:00 am.

Peter and I will both be staying at the Inn Friday and Saturday nights, so figure on two days riding around Pocahontas County. We'll figure out evening meals, possibly cookouts, as we go along.

Peter and I will be taking off Sunday morning, August 27.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #22

Camping Option

For anyone thinking of camping around Marlinton, either for the upcoming RX3 rally or separately, let me suggest a small campground at Seneca State Forest, right off of rt 28 between Dunmore and Marlinton. Its about 15 miles from Marlinton. You need to watch for it carefully on Rt 28; not a lot of signage to tell you its there. Really charming rustic creek-side campground, about 10 spaces, pit toilets and a great antique hand pump for water. Firewood available for purchase at the campground. Coin op showers available about a mile down the road at the Seneca State Forest park headquarters. No reservations but almost always has sites available particularly mid-week. I'll be staying there Thursday night before the rally weather permitting.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #23

I'm still on the "Possiably" list, but "if" I come up, it would be arriving Friday night, and leaving Sunday morning. Weather and my "Significant Other" will have some control over it....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 08-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #24

isn't this coming right up?

No interest?

Old 08-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #25

Yep, coming up in a few days. I'll be there as will 3-4 others that we know of. Always room for more. Some are 'possible' depending on stuff like work, weather, kitchen pass, etc.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:34 AM   #26

Yes its on. Marlinton weather looking good -- that said, its the mountains! Looking forward to meeting RX3 riders this coming Thursday or Friday!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 AM   #27

RX3 Rally Wrap Up

Four riders, great roads, great weather, good food, lots of RX3 stories. What could be better? More riders next year! We'll be posting photos and more details later.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #28

without pictures it never happened!

Old 08-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #29

You want pictures? Here you go!!

Mapquest says that it's 295 miles from my house to Marlinton. By taking the more scenic route that became closer to 335 miles.
which happened to take me by the Geographic Center of Virginia...or at least close enough for the state to put up this marker. I spent a night in Lexington (home for Virginia Military Institute as well as Washington and Lee University) with a trendy bar across the street...what's not to like?
Rt 39 runs over Goshen Pass, one of my favorite roads in all the world. The scenery is very distracting.

then on to Marlinton and our B&B. Oddly enough I bumped into Dan and Tim at a gas stop so we decided to explore together. I showed them some roads that I have ridden in the past, all paved,
and then Dan took us exploring. Bear in mind, I'm a pavement guy...Dan and Tim yearn for more adventure. Bottom line, we spent about 1.5 hours in second gear and standing on the pegs while we crawled up and down some mountain 'roads'.

to include Dan getting stuck in a muddy bog when he tried to wade his bike into a stream
It was all great fun but by the end of the day we were all exhausted.
I met up with Chris at the Inn and the four of us had a very nice meal at a nearby bicycle shop that happens to serve good food and adult beverages. You can't make this stuff up!

The next day Chris and I explored some roads running near an abandoned rail line, ending up in Cass where they have a steam excursion train. This one is special, it's a Shea design. That means each axle is driven and each truck operates independently through slip joints and universal joints.

Tim and Dan went on their own adventure which included roads getting worse and worse until they had to turn back for fear of never being seen by civilization again. No kidding, it can get that remote in WV. They regaled us will tales of daring and even had muddy bikes to prove the point.

Tim headed home on Saturday. Dan, Chris and I decided to burn up the roads on the way to Spruce Knob (highest point in WV) and Seneca Rocks. On the way back we explored more 1 lane roads, these being paved. Oh, we also stopped at the Green Bank National Radio Observatory. That's a must do if you are ever in the area. Each of us had already toured the facility so we skipped the tour this time.
Dan could not pass up a good deal on a fresh watermelon. Strapped to his bike the melon tried to escape a couple times but, even free of his straps the melon stayed put.

What a motley crew!
Sunday had us splitting up to go home. Once again I took the scenic route through such little known places as Vesuvius, Steele's Tavern, and Dixie.

My GPS tells me that I went 1103 miles total, not too shabby! Now we want to plan to do this again. The location offers options for those who like pavement, those who are open to some modest gravel, and the die hards who cannot find a path too difficult. Maybe we should open this to all small bore ADV bikes. Food for thought.

Peter Y.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #30

Great pics and write up Peter, I enjoy seeing pics of the other side of our country speckled with RX3's , rj