Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #61

All I see is the fuel inlet.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #62

Me too. Can you place a circle around the part you're asking about?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #63

Doh!

I got it. Feeling silly. I was initially filling through the drain tube.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #64

LOL!

So much of your brain power was devoted to solving some very complex fabrication and engineering problems there was not enough juice left for the little things! LOL!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #65

The bike is just about done! I cruised around the neighborhood and it's a blast to ride. Lots of looks and neighbors I've never met flagging me done to ask about it.

Now my registration woes are beginning. I had checked MD rules for registering a home built motorcycle before I even started the project. The requirements are pretty clear and available on the MVA website. I even called the MVA to comfirm some details. They were very nice and told me just to keep every receipt and bring them in for the first step; assigning a VIN.

I called when the specific department of the MVA/state police that I was directed to they recommended that I bring in my paperwork to discuss it before I brought the bike in. After meeting with them I was told flat out that they hadn't approved one in years and had no intention of ever approving another. It was suggested, kind of off the record, that if I had relatives in another state I could get it registered somewhere else and the transfer would be straightforward.

I called the state of Maine BMV (I grew up and have family there) and was told that they could issue a VIN if the application is submitted by a resident. A title is not required under 300cc. The catch is they need a certificate of origin for the motor, transmission, frame, and "front end". Well the motor/trans is one unit, I can get the frame passed with proof that I built it, and the manufacturer of the fork agreed to sign a certificate for me. The vendor of the motor is less helpful. I may need to re-create a certificate. Anyone know what a certificate for Chinese manufactured bike even looks like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ready for title.jpg (109.5 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by wret; 06-11-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #66

Perhaps a certificate of origin is not required if you purchased the engine as a part. Do you have any form of receipt for the engine?

Your bike looks stunning!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #67

They've got that base covered. A used part requires a VIN from the donor vehicle and a new part requires a certificate of origin. I'm guessing the rules are written to prevent parting out stolen vehicles.

It's a longshot but I sent an email to Zongshen to see if they can help out.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #68

Congratulations on getting your bike operational; it looks beautiful!

I'm sorry to hear of your problems dealing with the Maryland bureaucrats.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #69

i am not sure if i like the colour of the engine but i think this bike is absolutely beautiful, i could never have done anything like this.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by wret View Post
They've got that base covered. A used part requires a VIN from the donor vehicle and a new part requires a certificate of origin. I'm guessing the rules are written to prevent parting out stolen vehicles.

It's a longshot but I sent an email to Zongshen to see if they can help out.
These very challenges are why I think I might start with a small motorcycle that has a frame that I can work with. With a clean VIN, I can modify the rear subframe, fabricate forks, transplant an engine, etc. As long as I don't tamper with the VIN and I report any displacement change, I'll be ok in my area.

All that said, i could never end up with something as interesting, authentic and cool as you have. You have mad skills, sir.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #71

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

I admit to having imagination (sometimes overactive) but I have no particular metal working skills, training or access to machine tools. It has been a fun an interesting project. Yes, I've had to be creative but really I'm copying a lot of ideas that have been around for 100 years. For someone with some actual training and experience in metal working, a project like this would be a cinch.

Knowing what I do now about the registration process, I would look for a titled bike with the right motor to start with. At the very least I would have found a vendor for the motor that could supply the necessary documentation.

Oh the rust colored motor? I know, it doesn't really go. I thought there might be an advantage to playing down the "newness" of the motor. Turns out there probably wasn't. I've seen some very well done replicas made to look like barn finds. I didn't have the heart to "antique" the rest of the bike though.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #72

Top Speed?

Hey guys, it's been a little while. I managed to get the bike to get the bike registered in the great state of Maine. Transfer to MD should be not as big a deal but that may wait another year or so.

The bike has undergone a little bit of a transformation. Not so much a board tracker anymore, more of a cruiser. Anyone who has spent a few minutes in board track posture will know why.

I enterered her in the local July 4th parade and made a pad for the rear rack for the wife to ride on. There was a huge turnout, about 45,000! I believe I got 3rd place for antique vehicles but it's still unofficial. I DID tell them it was a replica!

So I got brave last week and decided to take her for the 80 mile round trip commute to work. I took as many secondary roads as I could on the way in and she seemed like she had plenty of guts going up hills at around 50 mph. When rain threatened during the day, I took off and took a little faster route. On one main road the average speed of traffic is typically about 60 mph. I was able to keep up but the little engine was screaming at about 9000 rpms. It occurred to me that with a bigger sprocket she would be a little happier at speed and maybe get a bit more. Then I did some searching and I see that most people think that a 150cc scooter tops about at around 60 mph. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by wret; 08-11-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #73

That's a great photograph! Congratulations.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #74

Terrific pic! Thanks for sharing it.

Don't expect much more than 60mph; you may be able to squeak a little more out of it with a sprocket change, but you'll lose it on the bottom end. What size are your current sprockets?

Where did you find those bars? They would be almost perfect for a project I have in mind.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Terrific pic! Thanks for sharing it.

Don't expect much more than 60mph; you may be able to squeak a little more out of it with a sprocket change, but you'll lose it on the bottom end. What size are your current sprockets?

Where did you find those bars? They would be almost perfect for a project I have in mind.
I've got a 15T in the front and 50T in the back, there's no differential in between. I just ordered up 17T from pcc motors. Easy enough to try out and see if I like it.

I can't find the receipt for my handle bars but they are modified. I couldn't find an off-the-shelf set that had the look I wanted. I bent them a bit more inward at the elbows and welded on an extra six inches (with a slug of smaller tubing inside the joints. The welds are smoothed and mostly obscured by the controls.

Thanks for the advice!