Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #1

Pocket Bike Canada Review

OK so the kid just bought the gio 125 dirt bike and is now hooked LOL.

He is wanting more jam and is seriously wanting to get a bigger bike. He is either looking at a used yamaha 150 for 2500 bucks or a new Gio X31 for roughly 1300 bucks.

Not sure what to tell him. I would prefer he didn't buy someone elses problems at a price of 2500 bucks. I think I would prefer him to spend the 1300 on the X31.

I know there are alot of die hard Japanese lovers who think the China stuff is junk and in my opinion the bulk of them are bitter after paying what they did for the " good Japanese stuff" and don't like to see others get decent deals. So please just straight up helpful info leave the bias out.

Any thoughts suggestions?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Pocket Bike Canada is a deceitful retailer.
Stay away from them.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #2

Personally, I would be all over that Gio. Provided the young feller isn't going to be out beating on it, jumping it or racing on a track, it should be just fine. I've had my bike for a year now, and I love it.

If you DO get that Gio, check back with us for some info on what to do before the bike is rode the first time.

Sprocket bolts, fuel lines and filter, check the bolts that bold the bike together.....that kinda thing.

I have an HIGHLY modified X31, and I don't know of another gio that would touch it....I think it would even smoke an X37R to be honnest, or it would be damn close!!

Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

LOL I am quite familiar with the CHONDA bikes. Between the boy and myself we have:

3 - Gio Pocket street bikes - 49cc 2 stroke - all modded
1 - C1 pocket street bike - 39cc 2 stroke air cooled Blata clone
1 - GIO mini pocket quad - 49cc 2 stroke
1 - GIO 125cc dirt bike
1 - GIO 110cc mini atv
1 - GIO rebel t1 110cc
1 - Baja dirt bug with 6.5 horse Honda clone

We are fully aware of the need to do the big once over on these machines.
Everything we own has had the full meal deal and in the case of the pocket bikes even more to make them reliable.

Well he doesn't plan on anything major with it he certainly doesn't plan on using it as a put put machine.

Stay away from them.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #4

You're not likely to find much brand bias here.

I'd scour CL for a used Gio. Several people have left them for dead when they can't make 'em run, and that makes them cheap.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You're not likely to find much brand bias here.
Exactly why I like it here lol.

Quote:
I'd scour CL for a used Gio. Several people have left them for dead when they can't make 'em run, and that makes them cheap.
Yeah but we got small town availability here not alot to choose from esp this time of year. He has the cash for it right now and wants to get some use out of it rather than wait for just the right deal.

He actually did wind up buying the X31 21/18 from pocketbikescanada, lol gotta love the income tax returns.

He likes the idea of new vs taking chances with a used unit, for what its worth on the CHONDAS lol.

Stay away from them.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

Well a little update on where the kids bike purchase is sitting. For the record the kid, from here on out to be known as the boy LOL is 20 not 12 or something.

As stated above he bought the X31 21/18 from pocketbikecanada. He made the purchase then promptly paid the 1413.00 e transfer from his bank account.

Today I get a phone call from them stating that the price on the website was wrong and that he had 2 options either pay an extra 400 bucks ( which is a break on the difference) or they can refund his money. At one point the guy even said "well we didn't accept the payment yet" at which point I asked him if they were planning on refusing the payment because they made a mistake to which I got very little response. I was also quick to point out that the mistake was thiers and they were legally obligated to honor that price. I was told he didn't have the authority to make that decision and someone would call me tomorrow. To which I replied no I want this settled right now.

So here we wait on a return call from them supposedly tonight at which point we will decide if we want to get the BBB and the local police involved and go in the direction of a fraud investigation.

Will keep you all updated on this one.

Stay away from them.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #7

Sounds akin to bait and switch. Son of Jaloos is lucky to have you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Sounds akin to bait and switch. Son of Jaloos is lucky to have you.
LOL you bet. They have nooo idea who they are dealing with lol.

Advertised price is advertised price.

Stay away from them.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #9

Well what a shock no phone call and no 1400 bucks back in the kids account yet.

Think this little note I fired off to them will work?

I received a phone call concerning ORDER # XXXXXXXX today and was informed that there was a price change on the ordered product and the price on the web site and throughout the entire purchase system was incorrect.
To this I will point out that it is not up to the consumer to monitor the correctness of your advertised prices and is the sole responsibility of the seller. It is not only unlawful but immoral to demand further compensation for an item purchased at a marked price. The internet is no different from a retail outlet that MUST sell an item for the lowest advertised or ticketed price.

I was also informed that there were two options. The difference of $400.00 could be paid or the money could be refunded. I was also informed that your company had not accepted the payment as of yet.
To this I ask how can a refund be made if the payment has not been accepted ? and why does a customer who purchased the item and paid promptly be responsible to cover any costs that were incurred by the seller as a result of an incorrect advertised price. One also has to surmise that when a person says “we have not accepted the payment yet” it also indicates that the bank has already notified you that the payment is ALL there and waiting to be accepted. This means that the customer has fulfilled his end of the purchase contract or agreement and the seller must legally and in good conscience fulfill their end of the agreement or contract.If as a customer I purchased an item from your company I would be bound by the same contract or agreement and would be held liable to make payment. It is a two way street and both parties must fulfill their obligations be it the buyer or the seller. This is also bordering on fraud and extortion in my opinion. Would you really go as low as to refuse a payment on a legal transaction that the purchaser did accepting all the liabilities and conforming to your specific guidelines because your company made a mistake ?

It seems to me this is not the first incident as in March 2012 I purchased a 125cc dirt bike from your company and the very next day the price went up. At that point you did not try to get us to pay the difference. It is somewhat suspicious that the price on this unit went up as well, looks more to me like the price went up a long time ago and we are the ones that bought one and pointed it out to your company. I would like to surmise that when an incorrect price was found on one product it is due diligence to check the pricing on the rest of the products and if not all at least the ones of the same product line. Your company is negligent in verifying prices on products when a known issue was detected. My son (who actually bought the bike) is guilty of nothing but purchasing and advertised item for an advertised price and nothing more.

I would like quick and speedy resolution on this matter as I do not wish to drag out what really is the only obvious solution to this situation. I would expect that your company has enough integrity to recognize when a mistake has been made and move to rectify the situation as quickly as possible. To this point I have not heard anything negative about your company. I also am not too disheartened that after purchasing the other dirt bike from you I emailed with a couple broken parts and never received a response. I still did not hesitate to order an even larger ticket item through your company. I really do not want to be the one that has negative things to say about your company and it is entirely up to you whether I do or not, I am a member of several online forums that have a large member base especially in the north west US and Canada and who generally ride Chinese bikes. I own 5 GIO motorized vehicles and am beginning to wonder why it is so hard to deal with their dealers, wonder if they realize that themselves.

I can safely say that if in fact you do not honour your end of the contract I will take this matter to the Better Business Bureau and most likely the RCMP or a lawyer. I fully expect my son to get his dirt bike with the features and functions as listed on your web site. I have copies of your ads both with and without the price changes, a printed copy of the invoice (even though it has suddenly disappeared from your site). I know what was advertised and I know what should be arriving at my door in excellent condition in a very very reasonable amount of time.

Please use my email XXXXXXXX for any further communication as I cannot guarantee cell reception at all times and I would like to keep a written record of all further communications.

Stay away from them.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #10

Remind me to not upset you.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Remind me to not upset you.
LOL na I am really a big pussy cat, I just have a way with words lol.

It really irks me when some company tries to pull something like this.

I also went over their whole site and there are no conditions of sale, disclaimers or anything else that would give them a way out. There is no terms of sales that a buyer or company must conform to. It would be prudent for them to post such conditions and they may have been able to protect themselves this time, but lucky for me they have not.

Does anyone know who the parent company is for them?

From what I have managed to dig up they have a BBB score of F on a scale of A+ to F.

I noticed as well that GIO Canada and the seller on ebay called Svenneo are both subsidiariies of Parnus Global Trading Company and also wonder if pocket bike canada falls into the same. So when you buy off ebay from Svenneo you are actually buying from Gio Canada. I have a nagging suspision that pocket bike canada is the same and just another store front for Gio Canada ie Parnus.

I have had issues with Svenneo from ebay as well with parts replacement in the past and from what I can tell their policies are the same as Gio Canada.

Stay away from them.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #12

I've heard comments of a relationship between Svenneo and Gio in the past, but I have no personal experience there. I bought stuff from Parnus Global Trading before they had a separate Gio division. Back in the day, I bought Giovanni products (before it was shortened to Gio) directly from Parnus on eBay. There was no company website that you could purchase from.

I know of pocketrocket99, but that's a competitor to Gio. I've never heard of Pocket Bike Canada.

Have you contacted Son of Jaloos' bank yet?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #13

Well update to the situation.

It looks like they do not want to honor the sale and have in fact cancelled the order.

Its on.

Stay away from them.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #14

I'm gonna go make a bowl of popcorn.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm gonna go make a bowl of popcorn.
LOL better make it a big one.

So far I have filed a complaint with the Lower Mainland Better Business Bureau and sent an email to BCTV consumer advocate.

Next is CBC consumer Advocate.

Stay away from them.