Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #1

When a 20 minute job takes you all day

I made the attempt to fix a stripped bolt hole yesterday. Right in the middle of it I got a super important world is going to end phone call from work. The stripped hole stuff set way to solid around the bolt. Even slowly working the bolt back and fourth it eventually went PING and snapped. I still haven't gotten the broken bolt out. I thought it would be easier to take the magneto cover off, but in retrospect It will be easier to drill it on the bike as I do not have a drill press. I still haven't figured out how to take off the seat. It looks like it may be buried under several layers of 'stuff'.

When I removed the magneto cover it became very obvious how the threads got stripped in the first place. From the factory, too long of a bolt was used. It bottomed out against the rest of the engine and would never get tight so I'm thinking whatever tool was used to initially put it on there spun it around a bunch, but the blue loc-tite caused it to stick.

Zooming in views red arrows show the broken bolt:
First pic illustrates where the bolt is that broke off.

Closer up view:

Super zoom:

Inside of the magneto cover (only because Spud would say "too bad we didn't get a pic of the inside of the magneto cover" )

Flywheel

I'm going to post an "I admit I'm a bonehead" question on the Pitster forums to see if I can get a good how-to on seat removal. Until then, I've got a few ideas on how to keep the drill bit centered while I drill that old bolt body out. Whatever those bolts are made of, the do not like to drill.....

Daddy 8)