Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I haven't had a chance to speak with them yet and they're closed on Mondays, right? I did email them last night and asked about any possible warranty transfer, among other things.

Batteries in both bikes have been changed already and mine has a really small lithium battery in it, surrounded by added foam to take up the space. I wonder if these are cool to run? Cranks over fine. I'm just curious why my front blinker took a dump after only 98 miles.
The lithium battery will work fine for you.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Batteries in both bikes have been changed already and mine has a really small lithium battery in it, surrounded by added foam to take up the space. I wonder if these are cool to run? Cranks over fine.
A few of us have lithium batteries and they're fine. I have a Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 (285 CCA) and it works great.

http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....8&postcount=28

A couple of notes about Lithium iron batteries:
  • Never let it fully discharge. Once dead, they're very difficult to revive.
  • The more amp-hours the battery is rated for, the better. If you run accessories without the engine on, it will last longer.
  • Get a lithium iron specific charger, like this one from Battery Tender. Shorai makes one specific to their batteries.
  • In cold weather, let the headlight run for a minute or two before starting. This warms up the battery for more cold cranking amps.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 05-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #33

Hah hah! Well.....I just got a text. Seems my (retired) brother walked into DMV this morning to get his RX3 registered and it seems...somehow.....someway....on the long road trip, we swapped pinks! Not sure how that happened as we were so careful during the paperwork/payment part of the process. Most likely lack of sleep.
Glad it wasn't me waiting in line! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Hah hah! Well.....I just got a text. Seems my (retired) brother walked into DMV this morning to get his RX3 registered and it seems...somehow.....someway....on the long road trip, we swapped pinks! Not sure how that happened as we were so careful during the paperwork/payment part of the process. Most likely lack of sleep.
Glad it wasn't me waiting in line! ;-)
Folks....I believe this is a prime example of brotherly love!

Old 05-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
A few of us have lithium batteries and they're fine. I have a Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 (285 CCA) and it works great.

http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....8&postcount=28

A couple of notes about Lithium iron batteries:
  • Never let it fully discharge. Once dead, they're very difficult to revive.
  • The more amp-hours the battery is rated for, the better. If you run accessories without the engine on, it will last longer.
  • Get a lithium iron specific charger, like this one from Battery Tender. Shorai makes one specific to their batteries.
  • In cold weather, let the headlight run for a minute or two before starting. This warms up the battery for more cold cranking amps.
Thanks for the heads-up, detours! I'll have to see what brand and model it is next time I have it out.

I have the "start, quit, restart, sometimes quit, restart, run" thing going on so I'll probably end up doing the valves before long. I'll check the battery then. If I read it properly, the valves are most likely the cause of this? Who knows, maybe just some miles and fresh gas would help. These sat for months.

Also, what's normal hot idle on these? I'm running what seems high at about 1800.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
Folks....I believe this is a prime example of brotherly love!

You've maybe not been in a DMV line in CA. It could drive someone to drink.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up, detours! I'll have to see what brand and model it is next time I have it out.

I have the "start, quit, restart, sometimes quit, restart, run" thing going on so I'll probably end up doing the valves before long. I'll check the battery then. If I read it properly, the valves are most likely the cause of this? Who knows, maybe just some miles and fresh gas would help. These sat for months.

Also, what's normal hot idle on these? I'm running what seems high at about 1800.
1800 is normal. My 2016 idles that so i called CSC and that was supposed to solve the stall problem when comming to a stop. Its in the computer and cant be changed. Also I think the 2015 model came un-assembled so its possible the valves werent adjusted when put together like they are now.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #38

Mine also idles at 1700-1800, never stalled coming to a stop. I figure a little high isn't going to hurt anything on this bike as it lives it's life at 7000 rpm most of the time

Old 05-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #39

Quote:

I think you will discover the valve lash is too tight. Budget a lot of time for your first valve adjustment, and try to have fun. I have adjusted my valves at least 7 times, and I have learned most of the tricks. Nevertheless, I still budget a leisurely 3 hours for a valve adjustment.

I suggest you read up on the procedure before you do it the first time; it will save you a lot of frustration.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Articles.asp?ID=267

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
...[*]The more amp-hours the battery is rated for, the better. If you run accessories without the engine on, it will last longer...

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #41

2LZ , congrats to you and your brother. What a steal of a price. I would have drove to Oregon too! lol

And the info on the batteries is right. If you honestly do not follow those recommendations, you won't get a year out of it. For peace of mind in my opinion lead acid battery.....tried and true!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
It's for complete cycling of the battery. Almost low to a charge state. If you just turn your bike on right away, the generator will start to charge the battery, and it's never got a full cycle. Lithiums like full cycles.

But realistically, most people will probably have moved on to another bike by the time these lithium batteries start to deteriorate to the point it's noticeable.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post
2LZ , congrats to you and your brother. What a steal of a price. I would have drove to Oregon too! lol

And the info on the batteries is right. If you honestly do not follow those recommendations, you won't get a year out of it. For peace of mind in my opinion lead acid battery.....tried and true!
Thanks madsocial! My brother's blue one has a new lead/acid battery and my white one came with the new lithium. Hopefully it won't give me any trouble for a while.

Ron B, I think these were new enough to come assembled. He's only had them since last September or so. They have the 17" rear wheels and also, the split L/R side cover to access the air filter easier. I'd read somewhere the real early ones had the 15" rear wheel and a one-piece cover, but I could be wrong. I'm going to do the valves anyway, just to make sure. Besides, I want to get familiar with it. No better way than wrenching!

Now I'm thinking of pulling the side cover and checking "Spud's Nut". Doesn't red Loctite seem a bit permanent to anyone else?

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #44

Quote:

Now I'm thinking of pulling the side cover and checking "Spud's Nut". Doesn't red Loctite seem a bit permanent to anyone else?
Dang LZ, I think i would have re worded that!!!

Old 05-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #45

Quote:
They have the 17" rear wheels and also, the split L/R side cover to access the air filter easier. I'd read somewhere the real early ones had the 15" rear wheel and a one-piece cover, but I could be wrong.
Only the pre-production demo bikes had the 15" rear wheel, 1-piece cover and a few other downgrades.

All production RX3's sold by CSC came with the 17" rear wheel and 2-piece air filter cover. Here's a list of upgraded features from year to year (to my knowledge):

Prototype/Demo Bike
  • 15" rear wheel.
  • 220 watt alternator.
  • Standard wiring harness with no accessory plugs.
  • Non-stainless steel header pipe, routed low.
  • Exposed O2 sensor and wiring.
  • 1-piece air filter cover (difficult to access).

2015 Production Model
  • 17" rear wheel with cushion hub (up from 15").
  • 300 watt alternator (up from 220).
  • Improved wiring harness with extra accessory plugs and handlebar switches.
  • Stainless steel header pipe, rerouted higher.
  • Relocated O2 sensor (less exposed).
  • Redesigned air filter cover (2-piece) for easier access.

2015.5 Model (second shipment)
  • New headlight with smaller running light and no side LED strips. Still 35W, but provides better side and road illumination.

2016 Model
  • Satin handlebar with bar-end weights.
  • Anodized fork with rebound adjustment.
  • Painted fairing panel.
  • New colors: silver and new orange. Discontinued blue.
  • New graphics: Adventure instead of Speed.
  • Grease zerks on swingarm.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Last edited by detours; 05-25-2016 at 05:21 PM.