Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #16

Hi All

It looks like Zhongshen may have a 450 version in the works, I've not seen any availability dates mention though.

Cheers

Tony

Old 04-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #17

Thumbs Up

Rojo,
which version klr u got? i've got one NE w the factory improved suspension/seat, and one 2009 w the aftermarket progressive front springs, and the stock valved but big time increased capacity rear shock spring from the san diego crew. With the 2009 setup, the ride is firmer, (set up for my weight) but much better and when playhousing, easily jumps etc. w/out drama. the Ne is more fluid/viscous like but still comfy. took the NE to sturgis. note , when we came down one forest trail we were stopped by some guys on some high tech quads who were amazed at where we were coming from. They were asking how the hell we got through the one steep stretch of jagged boulders (10 to 24 " ) with a cliff into a river on the down camber side, and a rock wall on the other explaining that most of the atv/utv guys have thoroughly trashed their rides trying to get thru there. ( I'll admit it was really torn up and did have a high pucker factor and was just short of trials technical, AND, I let my brother go first LOL)

I also get around 55mpg on open road, substantially less when playing offroad. I've ridden the gen 1's w their slightly longer travel and no fairing and would go that route if pushing more of an 80/20 dirt mix. The weight of the klrs for me offroad presents more an issue of mental apprehension about single recovery if i go down -falling down the hill as opposed to the upside of the trail. uphill, not a problem. laying down hill, 3 strong men and a small boy would have a helluva time
For general exploring, I have no issues w taking the 2009 out alone in pretty much any terrain you can walk. for the other, well it was for that reason we got the hawks. we can both manhandle those pretty much anywhere thru pretty much any terrain i care to traverse and barring serious personal injury recover them solo w/o issues.

My interest in the TT stems from curiosity as to just how much, it might really be a better bike, and we will soon see.

I agree with your analysis except for that both my KLR's w end bar weights and custom alu bars are not buzzy at all up to about 80. Now, on the other hand, the XT might lead to carpal tunnel surgery but you can't beat an air/oil cooled thumpers grunt and MUCH higher travel w lighter weight in the dunes/desert. but Damn, my kickstart days are almost over...
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #18

When the KLR gets a 6th gear and fuel injection, I'll consider it again. Which is what excited me about the RX3!

My next bike, very shortly, will be the Honda CB500X + RR3 conversion.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #19

Quote:
I consider the RX3 to be freeway capable, just not freeway enjoyable.
I enjoy my RX3 on the freeway, as long as I stay in the right lane. I can pass trucks, and everyone else passes me no matter what I ride. It's stable in dirty air and bad pavement is no problem. 80mph-plus all day? Haven't been there since the '70s.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #20

I also owned a KLR, but a 2002 model.

KLR was heavier by a lot, still not a good dirtbike (weight) and wasn't as happy in cold weather with the carburator but wasn't terrible, still not FI good in cold though.

I didn't think much of the KLR past about 75 on the highway but it would go faster if needed. I'll be going to Newfoundland with a friend who's on a 2015 KLR this year so i'll get to try the newer model a bit.

KLR is a good all-round bike as proven by tons of people but it costs significantly more than the RX3 especially after you add luggage and bars plus metal skidplate to match the RX3. You also need a larger stator to run heated gear and lights.

Overall I think the RX3 is a great trail bike but within limits of the suspension because it has short travel. Once you get some speed >30mph on really bumpy stuff you overwhelm it and the bike starts jumping sideways. KLR suspension is better for that but worse on the street in corners.

Parts are very very inexpensive on the RX3 and it drops really well with the stock crash bars, we've dropped ours here over a dozen times with just minor scrapes on the bars.

As for highway, it's not the bike for that, it'll do it up to about 79mph on a flat stretch with my 300lb (in gear) self though which says a LOT for a 250cc bike. Add in some hills and your down to 60-65, wind as well. If your crossing the country it's no problem just add a bit more time and forget the highways, you'll end up having a better trip because of that. Passing performance is pretty anemic past about 60mph as well so cross your finger's say a few prayers and tuck in for those times when it's needed as your going to have some time to ponder the universe as you slowly crawl past the slower vehicle.

Keep in mind this bike cost 3500 dollars shipped to my door when I bought it, much better deal than any older KLR for that price IMO.

Do you need bigger? I have a 2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX next to the RX3 in the garage and I havn't even bothered to register it yet. I've ridden it twice since getting the RX3 mostly because I felt bad for the poor goose. That probably answers that question.

Lee

Old 04-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #21

So, basically what I'm seeing here is, the RX3 is perfect for short old people?

and good night, everybody!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #22

My KLR was a fun rip around bike but just not all that comfortable for a good long cruise...for me that it. Plus if it was windy that thing was like a sail.....it caught every ounce of side draft!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Last edited by dpl096; 04-18-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #23

I almost died twice on my KLR when coming to Las Vegas, from side gusts. I feel that had I not been loaded down as much as I was, it would have been bad news.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #24

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
The other posters have covered this, but to put it in a nutshell, I consider the RX3 to be freeway capable, just not freeway enjoyable.

It'll carry you on the freeway bits you may need to cover to get you where you want to be, as long as those bits are not too long.

Slight change of topic. Joe B on the CSC blog noted that ADVpulse listed the RX3 as one of the 10 top smaller adventure tour bikes ever offered. What Joe did not mention is that the RX3 is the only bike on the list that is currently offered in the US market.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/li...venture-bikes/

And the only one that includes luggage as standard.

The Zong Remains The Same

Old 04-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
I almost died twice on my KLR when coming to Las Vegas, from side gusts. I feel that had I not been loaded down as much as I was, it would have been bad news.
Like a damn sail boat!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #26

Thumbs Up

like i said, on my romp cross the plains, crosswinds scared the hell out of me. going through kansas i was remembering johnny carson's joke about it getting so windy in Hays Kansas that they had whitecaps in the toilet! hell, i believed him lol
anyway, thanks for all the thoughtful responses guys- pretty dam rare on the inet these days:{
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-19-2016, 12:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxyeti View Post
Hi All

It looks like Zhongshen may have a 450 version in the works, I've not seen any availability dates mention though.

Cheers

Tony
If you have a link on this, please post a new thread in the news section. I would be interested
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-19-2016, 03:11 AM   #28

Hi

I found the snippet on the mychinamoto forum

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ight=zhongshen

Already photographed a baby RX3, the RX1

Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxyeti View Post
Hi

I found the snippet on the mychinamoto forum

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ight=zhongshen
Your link also shows several bikes with an upgraded 279cc Zongshen engine called the CBS300. It looks a little different, but I wonder if it would be a drop in replacement for our 250s?

http://cqskill.en.alibaba.com/produc...cc_engine.html

Here's an image on Facebook. Strangely, it shows the same HP and torque as our 250cc models.

https://www.facebook.com/zongshenmot...type=3&theater

Same as this chart on a mychinamoto forum page.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Last edited by detours; 04-20-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #30

A 250 / 300 ADV bike is a very useable size here as NZ dosn't
have the big open plain type areas with kms of straight roads...
Most roads are quite winedy and our max speed limit is 100kmph ...

With the XT660 getting a sidecar I'm thinking the TTR 250 with a 325 kit
to pull slightly higher gearing & drop the revs a bit would make a great ADV bike here....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com