Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Head Scratching is it really big enough for the US?

Been following the threads on these, and finally had to ask people that have them and have used them, for a totally honest/ unbiased assessment. Now I know Joe claims the rx3 is the ultimate adv bike, but I am having serious doubts that a 250 anything at 350 plus pounds before you even load up, is going to handle anything more than secondary roads , w enough peace of mind to make the trip enjoyable. Dunno where you guys ride, but where i go big rigs are barreling along at 85 plus, hell the last time i went thru downtown LA, the flow of traffic, with about 1 1/2 car lengths between vehicles at most ( and often less) , was barreling along at 80 plus in the DARK! And another thing, 8k rpm cruise? really?

And what about mountains?

Sooooo, gotta ask. anyone wishing for a 600, 450 or even a 300?
Sorry, my imagination of what a 250 can really do....well..is not confidence inspiring in a metropolitan, interstate type area. I *think* i read somewhere that a guy even tried Alaska on a honda 125 (or was it a 50?) different strokes i guess....

oh, and no offense to anyone intended! But after some 55 years or so of riding and listening to a world of marketing hype, i'm skeptical...
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #2

Seer, I had asked almost the exact same thing.
And I was with you on the whole 80 mph thing.
I keep hoping to see a 500cc parallel twin version of this same bike.
Here is the thread from when I asked
clickythingy -------> http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16011
also ------->

Old 04-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

Well....it depends. In a high speed urban area a 250 might not be what you want. I have a similar problem (much smaller than LA but still significant) because I'm in the middle of 1.2 million folks in the US. That means I have to ride some 10-20 miles to get away from the city or suburbia. The 250 can do that but it's really not fun for me. That's just the price to pay for getting out to where the 250 shines. When you can slow down to 55-60 the RX3 does just fine. Don't think you are going to blast around anyone but you can certainly keep up. Get down to the 35-45 mph area and life is even better. Then try a dirt or gravel road and you see the real value of a small bike. I can only imagine what it's like to go on a 10 mph jaunt through the woods. Bottom line: there is no perfect motorcycle...at least I have not found one. Pick the bike that suits your need, that might mean picking a couple for different uses. I now have three and each has its place.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

I for one would not be comfortable riding in the conditions you describe, regardless of the amount of cc's under me.

I do feel the Rx3 is the perfect adventure bike for going on an adventure. Two lanes, dirt, gravel, over the mountain as opposed to around it kinda stuff.

Traveling alongside 'lil Suzie' as she texts away about Johnny, at 80mph, while Mr Smith (who's late for a meeting) is ten feet off your taillight, may be your idea of an adventure. If so, than the Rx3 is not gonna be the bike for you.

Care to get away from the 'herd', slow down (just abit) and enjoy the environment your riding through, then it is

Just my opinion

Old 04-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman tim View Post
I for one would not be comfortable riding in the conditions you describe, regardless of the amount of cc's under me.

I do feel the Rx3 is the perfect adventure bike for going on an adventure. Two lanes, dirt, gravel, over the mountain as opposed to around it kinda stuff.

Traveling alongside 'lil Suzie' as she texts away about Johnny, at 80mph, while Mr Smith (who's late for a meeting) is ten feet off your taillight, may be your idea of an adventure. If so, than the Rx3 is not gonna be the bike for you.

Care to get away from the 'herd', slow down (just abit) and enjoy the environment your riding through, then it is

Just my opinion

Well said ....very well said!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #6

Thumbs Up

thanks guys. appreciate your input a bunch.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman tim View Post

Agreed.
This is not the bike for interstates.
It is possible to travel most anywhere in the US without using Interstate highways.
Last summer I traveled from Colorado (northern Front Range) to Yosemite, California without using Interstate highways (except two 15 mile sections that I could have avoided by taking 40 mile routes around).
The previous summer I rode from Colorado to Delaware with no Interstate until we ran short of time the last day and did 250 miles of it

Old 04-18-2016, 01:34 AM   #8

The RX3 will do 80 mph (GPS) on a flat road with no headwind, but not uphill on an interstate.

However, if you gear down to a 13T front sprocket (from the stock 14T), you can easily hold 65 mph up most highway grades fully loaded. That's good enough for me in most sections of interstate, especially if there are any curves to slow cars down. And it's a hell of a good time on state highways and secondary roads.

Sure, I would like more power, but not at the expense of weight or ergos. Boring it out to 275 or 300 cc, like Honda did with their cb300, would add a nice bit of grunt without much redesign.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 04-18-2016, 01:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
The RX3 will do 80 mph (GPS) on a flat road with no headwind, but not uphill on an interstate.

However, if you gear down to a 13T front sprocket (from the stock 14T), you can easily hold 65 mph up most highway grades fully loaded. That's good enough for me in most sections of interstate, especially if there are any curves to slow cars down. And it's a hell of a good time on state highways and secondary roads.

Sure, I would like more power, but not at the expense of weight or ergos. Boring it out to 275 or 300 cc, like Honda did with their cb300, would add a nice bit of grunt without much redesign.
Agreed. On the most aggressive of hills (74 toll road through Orange County), I can crest the summit at 60 mph in 5th gear with stock gearing (14/44) On flat highways around Orange County and up to Azusa (slight uphill on the 605 fwy), I have no problems maintaining 75 mph GPS speed. Not a lot of power left to accelerate to 82+ mph GPS speed, but it'll do it if I keep it at WOT.

I agree with Detours... could the RX3 use just a bit more power given the US interstate system? Sure. Would I want to add bulk or complexity to get it? Likely not.

In terms of doing the 85 mph with folks breathing down your back... there's folks that will do that even if you're doing 100. I've had that happen on my former CBR. But just like in aviation, plan your route and check conditions and pilot reports prior to departure.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:10 AM   #10

Alice's Restaurant...and the RX3?!?

Hello all! I agree with the group-think on this issue: The RX3 isn't freeway friendly, absolutely. But holy cow was it fun in the Santa Cruz mountains today, so much better than I imagined it would be. After a beautiful ride up through the redwoods and along Skyline Blvd, we had lunch at Alice's Restaurant (yep, that one) surrounded by dozens of bikes of every style, brand, and price. Quite a few Ferraris too.. I haven't owned a street bike in more than 10 years. I previously owned some nice bikes; A Triumph Daytona and a Ducati 900 SS SP. I rode a lot of miles in these hills back in the day so I do have something to compare. The RX3 handles predictably and accurately. It was confidence inspiring and I got the same rush on this little bike I used to get from cornering on my bigger bikes. Reality was reinforced though when I tried an uphill pass....not too graceful. I can't wait to do some off-road exploring, that's why I bought it, but for now I'm pleasantly surprised that I also have an entertaining little canyon carver.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0006 (1).jpg (98.7 KB, 244 views)

Old 04-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #11

The other posters have covered this, but to put it in a nutshell, I consider the RX3 to be freeway capable, just not freeway enjoyable.

It'll carry you on the freeway bits you may need to cover to get you where you want to be, as long as those bits are not too long.

Slight change of topic. Joe B on the CSC blog noted that ADVpulse listed the RX3 as one of the 10 top smaller adventure tour bikes ever offered. What Joe did not mention is that the RX3 is the only bike on the list that is currently offered in the US market.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/li...venture-bikes/

Old 04-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
The other posters have covered this, but to put it in a nutshell, I consider the RX3 to be freeway capable, just not freeway enjoyable.

It'll carry you on the freeway bits you may need to cover to get you where you want to be, as long as those bits are not too long.

Slight change of topic. Joe B on the CSC blog noted that ADVpulse listed the RX3 as one of the 10 top smaller adventure tour bikes ever offered. What Joe did not mention is that the RX3 is the only bike on the list that is currently offered in the US market.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/li...venture-bikes/
Great pick up ...I admit I completly missed that!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #13

If you're looking for a bike that can cruise the interstate, fully loaded, all day long at 80+ mph, the RX3 is not the bike for you.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 04-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #14

Hehe

Dan, thats not my issue went cross-country on my fully prepped NE KLR, a little top heavy, but was carrying me and full camping gear etc. (prob close to 375lbs). no prob maintaining speed- 75-80 most of way. prob was the prairie winds coming at you at 90 degrees and 60 odd mph- had to be careful to keep from unwillingly changing lanes when a gust hit you! don't mind admitting, was scary as hell and distinctly 'uncomfortable'. Guy w his wife on that giant 2litre 3 cyl triumph (Rocket?) went by pulling a trailer at about 90. A gust hit him, he got blown into the next lane and his wife started giving the emergency signal from that South Park puppet movie- culminating in her slapping him severely bout the helmet and shoulders lol. (we later saw him again, down the road sans wife who had made him put her on a bus to Denver! so much for his sturgis nuptial bliss lol.

BUT, when we got to the black hills, (Sturgis) we alone were able to ride the forestry trails , never saw another biker back there but did see lots of deer, bunch of snakes (small for rattlers), and a bear not to mention scenery like it was before the whites arrived in the hills

When got home I went into "bigger bike search mode". Had decided on the new Indian, but when I arrived at the dealer and sat on one, when I started to straighten it up off the sidestand, for a moment i wondered if the side stand was bolted to the floor, we're talking "holy cow" HEAVY! and i'm 250 lbs. One of the techs whispered to me to go sit on a triumph t-bird LT. Gotta tell you, when my butt hit that seat it was like finding true love lol (It is the most comfortable seat in motorcycling). On the highway, the 1700 engine's 100 hp means you go as fast, or as slow as you want in pretty much any gear(has more torque off idle than the klr at full boot).
The shock was discovering later that with its unique radial tires and supple suspension, its more stable on gravel fireroads than the klr. and with the dealer promotion at the time, bout half the price of the big Indian. soooo, I've solved my big touring bike itch.

Anyway, along w my Ducati 900 dual purp bike, the klrs, the Yamahoppy 600Xt , my little chinese 200 trail bikes {one Hanya, the other a zong like Spuds) not to mention our two hawks and the incoming tt250, I guess you could say I've fully embraced "the right tool for the job" philosophy. I was just curious if a 250 rx3 could really hope to replace the NE 650 klrs as the low end adv king. the klr is , heavier (around 415 to the rx3's 350-360? but has plenty of oomph for ANY US road, of any type. Its very comfortable on the highway at speed w the new fairing, suspension and seat, and surprisingly competent off road, assuming you're big enough to pick it up alone, there is a REASON that all the you tube BMW, 1190/1290 Aventurer, Tenere etc offroad videos always have a pack of riders in them...

Old 04-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
I was just curious if a 250 rx3 could really hope to replace the NE 650 klrs as the low end adv king. the klr is , heavier (around 415 to the rx3's 350-360? but has plenty of oomph for ANY US road, of any type.
SA,
Having both a KLR and RX-3, the short answer is yes!!

The RX-3 will do everything the KLR can do with the exception of more technical/rougher trails due to the limited suspension travel. The RX will need the 13T counter sprocket and better than stock tires (Kenda 270's or Shinko 244's seem to work well and are cheap) for better off road riding. Neither bike will be a hardcore trail bike but you'll have a TT250 for that. The upgraded shock is recommended for the RX-3. But the KLR needs a better rear shock and front springs as well.

The RX-3 will cruise along at similar highway speeds and be smoother, less viby than the KLR. The 350-360# weight of the RX includes luggage, racks and engine guards. You'll be 450+# for the KLR if you add a topcase, hard bags,racks and engine guards. The RX is better balanced/less top heavy than the KLR. The brakes are only adequate on both bikes.

Both bikes are pack mules. One of the RX-3's on the Baja trip was two up plus their gear. They were a bit slower on the steeper hills but otherwise kept up fine.

The RX will get about 70 mpg vs around 50 for the KLR.

Rojo