Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 PM   #31

The two RX3's we have here both have Maxima 10w40 non synthetic in them and both shift differently. Mine finds neutral with no problems and the other is a fight to find it. I don't think it's the oil it's the adjustment of the clutch or a combo of that and the chain slack being maybe to tight. I would play with clutch settings a bunch before worrying about the oil.

I have Rotella T6 lined up for mine as I used it for 40k miles on the Tiger (50k miles total) and the bike was in excellent shape when I sold it. The stuff is rated JASO MA so it passes the standards needed for a bike. In my experience the shifting would degrade after 2500 miles but I don't run oil longer than that in any of my bikes other than the Stelvio because it uses a dry clutch and separate transmission oil, that and 10w60 is expensive!

Is the clutch engagement point where the lever is nearly all the way out on your bikes? I feel like it should be maybe just past midway out on clutch pull as It feels like the clutch isn't fully disengaged when starting in first with the clutch in, seems bad for the starter as the clutch is definitely somewhat engaged. I start mine in neutral unless i forget.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
The two RX3's we have here both have Maxima 10w40 non synthetic in them and both shift differently. Mine finds neutral with no problems and the other is a fight to find it. I don't think it's the oil it's the adjustment of the clutch or a combo of that and the chain slack being maybe to tight. I would play with clutch settings a bunch before worrying about the oil.
I agree that it is the parts in YOUR bike that makes the difference, and the oil has little to do with it.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
I ran the bike to 1 bar on temp gauge in the garage while in neutral, and then shifted into first and the bike lurched forward and died with zero throttle applied. Wouldnt start again while in first gear because of all the pressure on the plates I assume but got into neutral started again and same thing when shifted into first. After warmed up more got better but definitely is a bigger problem than it was before.
My main concern is the bike being so jerky when I shift into 1st from neutral (and dying on me), and not being able to find neutral at a stop like in my garage or parking lot when I need to. I saw people had some success switching to synthetic oil but didnt want to keep buying gallons of oil with no idea what the problem is.
Did this happen before your video adventure or did it start after? I couldn't hear the engine over the music, but it seemed you had some difficulty navigating the dirt portion.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #34

I would try the clutch ajuster on the top and bottom
More important on the bottom
I had to have my mechanic re-adjust both to make it work properly
Still have a little issue of bike moving forward a bit when I start bike in gear with clutch in or neutral
But not un acceptable

Old 04-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Did this happen before your video adventure or did it start after? I couldn't hear the engine over the music, but it seemed you had some difficulty navigating the dirt portion.
This was after the video that I changed the oil and did my valves. I've ridden a few times since the change and its getting maybe 5% better each time. Noticeable, but subtle enough to question if its actually better. I'll definitely be upgrading to the Maxima Synblend shortly and then will just ride that for a while.

In the video my buddy was on the blue bike and mine the unseen red bike. He's never ridden off-road before and did pretty good for his first time, and hes an amazing street rider. I have some dirt experience although I still have a lot to learn, but was still having fun on the RX-3 stretching its capabilities. We both got caught up on all the fallen tree branches. They look small in the video and lots you cant see, but the week prior we had over 100mph winds (162mph in other parts of the state) and that knocked countless branches on the ground that became incredibly slippery when wet to the point it could throw your whole bike. So we were trying to be careful with our speeds and take our time.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontando View Post
Has anyone tried the Rekluse EXP 3.0 clutch yet?

https://rekluse.com/product/exp-clutch-3-0/
In The world of Extreme Enduro type racing (as in"you HAVE to be kidding" type terrain), pretty much everyone who wins uses the Rekluse except for the old english master who seems to have achieved Nirvana, i.e. becoming "ONE" with the transmission.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #37

Thought I would post an update on oil here. 4 of us seattle rx-3 owners were all running Rotella 20w50 diesel oil and as mentioned were finding issues with it, even though its a great oil. Noisier, harder to shift, lots of lurching forward when shifting into first, etc. Just wasnt good. I switched to Mobil Delvac same Spud uses and it improved very marginally, but not improving much over last couple hundred miles. So recently I pulled the trigger on the Maxima 10w40 Syn Blend, and two of the other owners did a full syn from Maxima and the difference is AMAZING. Engine runs better, runs quieter, neutral is 10 times easier to find and is actually probably better than my Triumph Triple right now. And shifting feels like pushing up or clicking down a stick of butter. Such a difference and hope to encourage anyone else experiencing shifting issues to try the Maxima Full Synthetic or Syn Blend. Great stuff for the RX-3s.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #38

I changed oil a couple of weeks ago. I just grabbed some Lucas motorcycle oil, and I too am finding it to be notchy when selecting gears. N seems to be a harder to find. Was an improvement over what was in there before, but not by much. I will try Maxima on the next change. Maybe a 20w, since it's going to over 100° for the next 4 months.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
Thought I would post an update on oil here. 4 of us seattle rx-3 owners were all running Rotella 20w50 diesel oil and as mentioned were finding issues with it, even though its a great oil. Noisier, harder to shift, lots of lurching forward when shifting into first, etc. Just wasnt good. I switched to Mobil Delvac same Spud uses and it improved very marginally, but not improving much over last couple hundred miles. So recently I pulled the trigger on the Maxima 10w40 Syn Blend, and two of the other owners did a full syn from Maxima and the difference is AMAZING. Engine runs better, runs quieter, neutral is 10 times easier to find and is actually probably better than my Triumph Triple right now. And shifting feels like pushing up or clicking down a stick of butter. Such a difference and hope to encourage anyone else experiencing shifting issues to try the Maxima Full Synthetic or Syn Blend. Great stuff for the RX-3s.
Is this what you bought ?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FQmqaQodrjAJaQ

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Thats exactly it DPL and in the 10w40. I rode it again today and it really feels like a different bike. So nice even I was sitting at the stoplight behind traffic and just for fun shifting into neutral then back to first then back to neutral back to first..never could do that before. I bought mine from Amazon and it arrived quick of course with Amazon prime. $34 total after taxes thats a good price too on motorcycle superstore.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #41

My bike shifts nicely and neutral easy to find.
Jerry at CSC told me these bikes respond well to full synthetic and I
Believe him as that is my experience when coming from the non-synthetic
Break in oil.
I run Mobil 1 15/50 mainly because of the $24 for 5 quart price but I am
Pleased with the shifting results.