Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #76

Anyone run a 13/40 set-up? Id like to drop some rpms on the freeway if possible?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #77

Hey spud, detours... what was the top speed with original sprocket. Does the replacement take anything out of the top end, is it significant or worthy the trade

P.s. been following the cooling thread
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-29-2016, 11:52 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Hey spud, detours... what was the top speed with original sprocket. Does the replacement take anything out of the top end, is it significant or worthy the trade

P.s. been following the cooling thread
With the original 14T sprocket, was a little over 80 mph. Others have gotten a true 84 mph (GPS, not indicated).

But for me it was a fight to keep that speed. I simply could not maintain it with any change in terrain or headwind. I constantly had to downshift and found myself using 5 5th gearhear more than 6th. By the way, this is at mile high elevations, which does make a difference.

Clearly the engine was already at max output and had nothing else to give. Changing to the 13T sprocket opened up the powerband and gave me a usable 6th gear. It's easier to maintain speed and I can still go 75 to 80 if I want to. It's easier to start uphill and I really like having power at 3500 RPM instead of way up at 5000.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 05-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #79

I'm running a 14/42 setup
The 13/44 setup was to high spinning for me
14/42 is more freeway friendly for me
But you do have to prepare for inclines and strong headwinds

Old 05-30-2016, 12:00 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
I would install the 13T now. It will be much easier to keep the RPMs under 5000 during break in, because you'll have usable torque at 3500 in first gear.
Detours.. I did the 13T sprocket switch today and it noticeably changed the character of the bike in a most positive way! Thanx for the tip

NOTE: The front sprocket nut on my 2016 was not 30mm. I used an 1 1/4 wrench. 30mm socket would not fit. I'm not saying this is the case for all 2016s ....just mine. Maybe it's a 32mm? Anyway if anyone out there with a 2015 is in need of a 30mm socket let me know....be glad to part with it.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-30-2016, 12:12 AM   #81

Detours point is valid since he in constantly dealing with grades. As far as the top end, which I know I will catch hell for this, probably shouldn't be going much north of 75mph anyway.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-30-2016, 12:20 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Detours point is valid since he in constantly dealing with grades. As far as the top end, which I know I will catch hell for this, probably shouldn't be going much north of 75mph anyway.
Ditto

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-30-2016, 01:47 AM   #83

"As far as the top end, which I know I will catch hell for this, probably shouldn't be going much north of 75mph anyway. "

There's always a "ya but" scenario in the woodworks. I'm planning in a couple of weeks going through Idaho on Hwy 84 and I think the speed limit is 80 mph? Going with 14/42 sprockets for the ye-hah sled ride on the down hills. rj

Old 05-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Detours.. I did the 13T sprocket switch today and it noticeably changed the character of the bike in a most positive way! Thanx for the tip

NOTE: The front sprocket nut on my 2016 was not 30mm. I used an 1 1/4 wrench. 30mm socket would not fit. I'm not saying this is the case for all 2016s ....just mine. Maybe it's a 32mm? Anyway if anyone out there with a 2015 is in need of a 30mm socket let me know....be glad to part with it.
Someone in another thread said their countershaft sprocket nut was 32 mm as well. Mine was definitely 30 mm, so I think it's likely a spec change for the 2016 model year. Could be a temporary parts supply issue, but assembly lines don't like that kind of thing.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #85

I forgot to mention this b4 ... but when I did my fastener check both (all 4) passenger footpeg bolts were finger tight. Blue lock tight and a good tightening took care of it- not a biggie and not whining - just thought I would throw that out there. Everything else, except the loose nut on the back side of the instrument cluster, has been good and tight. Have not checked my fuel pump bolts yet but will at valve adjustment time.

― Thomas Jefferson