Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #16

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/QUICK-...p/csc-3004.htm

I would cough up the $60 and make it clean and simple for the duration. By the way, buy the new cool skid plate while your at it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #17

or the EZ Drain for $23.95
http://www.oildrainvalve.net/?gclid=...FRNZhgodsUAOkQ

Old 05-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #18

Similar thing happened to me Sprite, except that only half of the bracket broke off. I used an appropriately sized hose clamp, in your case use 2, and it's stayed on for thousands of miles. I can post a pic if you need.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 05-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
Similar thing happened to me Sprite, except that only half of the bracket broke off. I used an appropriately sized hose clamp, in your case use 2, and it's stayed on for thousands of miles. I can post a pic if you need.
Thanks George, if you could post a photo so I can ensure what I'm visualizing is correct I'd very much appreciate it.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Thanks George, if you could post a photo so I can ensure what I'm visualizing is correct I'd very much appreciate it.
Hope this works for you Sprite. Mine broke at the 90° angle next to the bolt hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160522_092808.jpg (91.2 KB, 246 views)

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 05-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #21

Thanks George, it's as I visualized. Guess I'll add hose clamps to my list for the hardware store!

Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #22

Since I don't do much dirt I just leave mine off. For me the side bolt is the issue on the skid plate. Accidentally over tighten and need somehow to fix my mistake but haven't gotten around to it.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Ha! I think you mentioned the side stand last time also. Will note this in the maintenance sheet so I don't forget next time
My husband put the bike on the center stand during today's oil change, and I made it put it down. The side stand was perfect. I too thank Spudd for that! Also, we took the skid plate off as well, just because I am OCD about things being clean. Did you over torque the screws? I didn't notice a bracket on my bike like you had on yours woodlandsprite. Also, I noticed your oil eye port is different as well. Mine says High and low, and yours looks like the photos in all the tutorials. My plug looked different too. Your bike is a 2016? right?

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 05-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post
Your bike is a 2016? right?
Embarrassingly, mine is a 2015. I've had it a year but I only learned how to ride last year so the miles have been slow. I don't believe I over torqued the bolt the last time I had the skid plate off, and it wasn't hard to loosen. Given the other reports of brackets breaking this is not super rare.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #25

haha...no, not embarrassing. lol, you are doing great.

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 05-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #26

The redneck in me just left it on and let the little bit of oil drip in it then shoved a shop rag in there and wiped it out , then took the hose pipe to it.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:55 PM   #27

For those contemplating leaving skid plates off let me tell you my sad story. On a trip last year to Yosemite from Washington State on my Honda NC700x while going by Lake Tahoe through road construction my front tire kicked up a metal rod that poked a pencil size hole in the engine side case that leaked oil. Not a big hole but enough to stop me over night delaying my trip half a day. I never thought I needed a skid plate if I was just riding on pavement. Yes a freak thing and probably won't ever happen again. But It does occasionally happen and at the worse time, At least I learned how to patch said hole with some 2 part quick epoxy. I'm thinking cheap insurance for the little inconvenience they cause when changing the oil. Just saying. rj

Old 05-23-2016, 12:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
For those contemplating leaving skid plates off let me tell you my sad story. On a trip last year to Yosemite from Washington State on my Honda NC700x while going by Lake Tahoe through road construction my front tire kicked up a metal rod that poked a pencil size hole in the engine side case that leaked oil. Not a big hole but enough to stop me over night delaying my trip half a day. I never thought I needed a skid plate if I was just riding on pavement. Yes a freak thing and probably won't ever happen again. But It does occasionally happen and at the worse time, At least I learned how to patch said hole with some 2 part quick epoxy. I'm thinking cheap insurance for the little inconvenience they cause when changing the oil. Just saying. rj
I got a good stinger rock on the left leg kicked up from the oncoming truck yesterday morning. S#%t happens.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #29

I've had Midas weld up a bracket for me before, I second the muffler shop idea.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
I got a good stinger rock on the left leg kicked up from the oncoming truck yesterday morning. S#%t happens.
Those'll make you dribble piss ....damn they hurt!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song