Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 AM   #1

Damage from bottoming out rear suspension, new handlebars

Just an FYI to all, while replacing my crash bars today from a recent rough trip I found I had caused additional damage from bottoming out the rear suspension. This was not an equipment failure or the fault of the bike in any way, it was ridden very hard while loaded up and just bottomed out a few times too many. I wanted to pass on what i found so others can keep an eye out for it. A hole was worn through the inner rear fender exposing the airbox, and a screw was exposed from abrasion. I'll double check my sag/preload, pack lighter, maybe slow down a little next time. Nice the parts are very reasonably priced.
Also, I mounted Protaper Evo Adventure handlebars. The black looks great and I finally was able to mount the heated grips. Waiting for the Acerbis hand guards to arrive any day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0131.jpg (91.3 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0133.jpg (95.0 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0132.jpg (92.7 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0138.jpg (90.0 KB, 335 views)

Old 05-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #2

are you using a lowering link?

if not then maybe the bike actually has room for a longer shock to get more use out of the rear suspension.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

Thanks for posting the warning. What shock absorber is installed on your RX3?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #4

Got the same thing happening on Marzhere's Orange Blossom Special. Stock shock (with pre-load adjusted for my weight), lowering link installed (loss of suspension travel), Kenda 270 knobs (taller tire than stock?). My 190#+gear+loaded on the CSC Baja trip caused a similar rubbed out hole. I did do some of the off road bits on the Baja run plus hitting some of the bigger topes at some speed are the main contributors to the rub. No issues riding around town or on milder dirt roads or with the petite owner riding. From what I could tell the hole does not penetrate into the air box.

Rojo

Old 05-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Stock shock and no lowering link, brand new k270's: About 250 lbs of rider and luggage. No air box penetration, I am a little concerned about the exposed screw though. Maybe an epoxy or something to keep it protected and from coming loose.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #6

Rideabout, what R tire size is the K270? I've bottomed mine a few times 5:10x17 Shinko 244 and added 1 turn of preload to rear shock and for now don't have rubbing. If I load it up for a camping trip I may need more preload though. rj

Old 05-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideabout View Post
Stock shock and no lowering link, brand new k270's: About 250 lbs of rider and luggage. No air box penetration, I am a little concerned about the exposed screw though. Maybe an epoxy or something to keep it protected and from coming loose.
I'll have to inspect that area were the screw is exposed to see if we've got the same issue. A dab of epoxy would be a good idea.

From the parts schematics on the CSC website, that screw holds the two halves of the air box together. A new air box would be ~$25 for both halves and a new rear inner fender is ~$15. Not too bad but the real fix is the progressive shock that is kinda spendy.

Rojo

Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
caused additional damage from bottoming out the rear suspension. .
Had you checked/set your sag prior to the trip?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #9

Clean the area and duck tape that puppy till the tire wears out. It's just a hole that shouldn't hurt anything. The screw will hold till you mess with it. rj

Old 05-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing the caution, rideabout.

What if you filled the tire with water to make it heavy and keep it weighed down? Oh, nevermind.

Seriously, wondering about adding one link in the chain and move the axle further back in adjustment. Do you think that might help?

Those bars look good, and appear to have a bit more rise than stock. Combined with the risers I see you still had plenty of cable/hose/harness length. Congratulations.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:41 PM   #11

Quote:
...I mounted Protaper Evo Adventure handlebars. The black looks great and I finally was able to mount the heated grips. Waiting for the Acerbis hand guards to arrive any day.
The handlebars look great.

I see the 'adventure bend' has a rise of 4.84 inches, and the 'high adventure bend' has a rise of 6.85 inches.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...high+handlebar

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-19-2016, 01:18 AM   #12

Gotta love this forum . RJ, the K270 rear is 5.10 x 17. In hindsight I should have added a turn or two as you suggest. On the road and mild trails it was firm and well controlled, didn't feel under sprung until the rough stuff and speeds increased. I definitely will next time, I'm sure it will help. Best thing though for the bikes longevity will be to not try to keep up with my buddies and their dual sport bikes on the technical stuff. As Spud mentioned in an earlier post...enjoy the scenery and relax.

Rojo/RJ, I was thinking the same thing regarding an epoxy or other fix for the exposed screw. Although the parts are cheap, it seems wasteful to replace the entire air box. I don't think I will as it seems structurally sound as is, just need to secure the screw. I know the Progressive shock is an improvement however I'm not sure it would have solved the problem...just too rough and fast for a 5 1/2" travel adv bike. I think I'll slow down and save the $500 for now. Nice to have options though, may change my mind later.

Pyoungbl, I did not check sag fully loaded. I will be more prepared next time! This was my first moto-camping trip and I had a bit of a learning curve.

Hello Jay, interesting thought re adding a link hadn't thought of that. I like the bars, I can't rotate them forward quite as much as I like as the brake reservoir hits the windscreen at full lock. I think I'll shim the windscreen with a couple washers to buy some room.

Thank you Spud, I think they look nice too

Thank you all for the great feedback!

Old 05-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #13

Rideabout, For what its worth ,I have the 5.10x17 ,lowering link, and the Progressive shock and mine bottomed first time out as mentioned on pavement. On dirt roads I'll remember your experience and try not to keep up with the young'uns as much to save from rubbing things down, Thanks for bringing this to our attention. At least we know we're using all our available travel suspension rj