Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #766

And the rest of us reap the benefits of your mucking about. Thanks for sharing so much, in business American language.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #767

Thanks for the seat info. I understand where you're coming from, it's not a huge market, at least here in the US. I'm not sure how many RX3s have been sold here and they already lined up aftermarket seats. I'll be looking at the tall seat come spring riding season.

What did I do today? 200 mile oil change, some things are different on my 2018 from the tutorial. The 8mm are now bolts instead of nuts and studs as shown, other than that it was an easy oil change and I'm good til 500 miles and the first valve adjustment. I'm looking forward to that as I haven't done a valve adjustment in 35 years LOL, but once it's done and the 5K rev limit is lifted I'm ready to go

Old 10-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Thanks for the seat info. I understand where you're coming from, it's not a huge market, at least here in the US. I'm not sure how many RX3s have been sold here and they already lined up aftermarket seats. I'll be looking at the tall seat come spring riding season.

What did I do today? 200 mile oil change, some things are different on my 2018 from the tutorial. The 8mm are now bolts instead of nuts and studs as shown, other than that it was an easy oil change and I'm good til 500 miles and the first valve adjustment. I'm looking forward to that as I haven't done a valve adjustment in 35 years LOL, but once it's done and the 5K rev limit is lifted I'm ready to go
Do you mind sending a link for the seats in the USA?

The other thing is shipping from the USA to other places is also very expensive so sometimes me in China I can still compete total price wise with shipping etc.
there are many regions and places with many economic situations - sometimes from here it can be just affordable but the USA it get too expensive etc, not knocking anyone but shipping from the USA.............. yeah numbers get up there etc

The box in the photo contact the 30 kit parts, Tourfella bags brake mastercyl extra lever water bottle upgrade water pump gasket clutch lighten bracket lever etc.
All packed into a box JUST a little bigger then the 300 kit (2.45Kg $45) and this is now 3.85Kg for $60

I try to do cost saving packing and I only charge shipping at cost plus the 4% pay-pal. better shipping options and combining more allows people to buy things at an overall better price resulting in a few more things sold and more happy RX3 riders

Last edited by NzBrakelathes; 07-18-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #770

The CSC seats are about half the price of custom aftermarket replacement seats and just as comfortable as anything not specifically for a carefully measured rump, which would be 4 times the price. Add fancy burning, fringe, and/or conchos, and even that would be cheap. Still not cheap, though. I'm not convinced anything short of a redesign of the type of seat, other than a custom measured seat for carefully measured buns, will do much good for us fatso Americans.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:33 AM   #771

Man those USA prices lol!

I almost think you could get an upholstery place to tidy up and mod a seat in the USA? Or does everyone want "custom" and loads of fancy words?
Both the wife and I feel the stock RX3 seats are some of the best on Chiese bikes yet I could do with the seat about 2 inch or so higher lol - knees into crash guards.

Well I think I will not fit the low seat or base as I doubt it will sell much, I kinda don't fancy trimming my air box lol and all the other work involved.

Thanks for sharing and other ideas are always welcome

I best think of something else that would be more useful and not yet available.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #772

I just put in the Pathfinder LED headlight bulb replacement that CSC sells, but got it from a different source for $30 less. AMAZING! It's daylight, so I can't give a full review, but in the garage the difference is obvious. And it throws a wide, flat beam, with the high beam about where you'd expect it. I had tried another one that seemed similar, but ended up throwing light all over the place. And the kicker...the "high" beam came in under the supposed low beam, but there was no way to flip the light. It was awful. Oh well, $16 into the fireplace I guess.

The little bulb below the headlight is toast. Does it actually do anything? What's it there for? Anyone know what number it is to replace it?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
The little bulb below the headlight is toast. Does it actually do anything? What's it there for? Anyone know what number it is to replace it?
That's a running light for areas that do not have a requirement for the headlight to be on at all times. The size is T10. Any 158,168 or 194 wedge style bulb will fit. I put a Phillips 6000K T10 in mine, to match the color of the 6000K Genssi Elite headlight bulb that I installed. If you decide to go LED, do spend the extra money for name brand. The cheap Amazon and eBay bulbs do not last very long before they fail. I have not had a single failure on any of my vehicles that have the Phillips T10 LED bulbs installed, which would be six in total with three of those being motorcycles. Yes, they cost more, but they last and save you time in tearing things apart to change the bulb constantly.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #774

We are required to run headlights so I unplugged Roxy's running light. Wastes electricity and does no good with the headlight on. All those dainty LEDs in Roxy's headlight housing are also unplugged. Roxy has an LED in her stock headlight right now, but don't remember if it is CSC's or from some other source. Low beam is always on, quite bright right under the headlight, then a dark streak right above the low beam, then the high beam pattern begins. That dark streak leaves about 100 feet of the road unilluminated between beam patterns. Lowering the high beam to actually illuminate usefully puts the low beam pattern so close to the front wheel at any speed faster than parking lot.

Can't wait to get the pair of 4x6 JW Speaker headlights back on. I use a solenoid to raise the low beams to high beam position to eliminate the close-in glare when on high beam, allows much better visibility than partial night blindness on open highways because of excessive illumination close to the front tire with most LED headlight arrangements. The headlight high beams will work with the bulbs in either position, but I rarely use them. Only use for the high beams is blinding oncoming drivers with illegally modified or badly aimed headlights. Usually one blink and they dim their crap quickly.

EDIT: Anywho, today is the last sunny day of holiday. I'm off to the twisties. Yesterday prepped a set of LED trailer taillights with side markers for Roxy's tail, will install 10-19 while it rains. Using trailer electronics to make turns and brakes the same circuits--I'm not happy with the stock tail and turns practically concealed among the Tourfella boxes.

New 55 watt bixenon HID arrived and that will go in her stock headlight. This particular kit promises to meet DOT regs of illumination pattern but should be about 5 times as bright as stock. Hopefully this rig will light the dark gap between the high and low beam patterns on the current LED. Stock rear turns will join the stock front turns and alternate when on. Then the 4x6 LEDs the fuzz does not want me using for headlights will be 100% legal auxiliary lights. I'll run them at 35 watts on low beam, and install another battery to power the high beams when I want to blind people. My experience has been that when you get peoples' attentions by annoying the crap out of them you are much less likely to get run over because nobody really wants to deal with the lawyers.

Last edited by sqwert; 10-18-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #775

I left the little bulb out, and will not replace it. Seems like it does nothing in the US, right? And law aside, I've always run with the headlight on, why would anyone not?

I put on the CSC center stand last night. After one oil change and other maintenance, I was pretty annoyed at not having it. I thought about a bike stand, but then thought I might need/want the stand for on-the-road maintenance. After installing it, I can say I'd never buy it again. I mean, it functions, but it's also an annoyance. The fact that the rear tire is on the ground blows away the primary use during trips--chain maintenance. Crap, wish I'd known. It's also in the way for how I put the sidestand down. Damn. Getting it off the stand is a good exercise though, even my fat butt has to put real ooomph into it. All around bad design.

Riding with the LED lamp shows that it's a huge improvement. Next up will be lights for the crash bars. Now to decide on which ones. There's always something between the ludicrous-priced stuff and the junk, need to find it. The bar on my Jeep is quite good, and 1/5th the name brand price.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #776

I recently installed the center stand myself. I guess CSC had to use what Zongshen gave them in terms of mounting location and I read somewhere that this is their second stab at designing a center stand that works well enough, I guess it is what it is. The bike is pretty close to it's balance point on the center stand and it seems just a little weight puts it on it's front wheel on the ground, probably my motorcycle jacket across the front fender would do it. Of course this is with the bags empty, haven't filled them yet for a trip. I'll find out when I get to my 500Mile maintenance.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #777

I have the aluminum bags, and had just a few "always there" items like chain lube, straps, etc in them. It's very heavily biased to the rear in this condition. I don't even have my tools in there yet.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #778

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
I have the aluminum bags, and had just a few "always there" items like chain lube, straps, etc in them. It's very heavily biased to the rear in this condition. I don't even have my tools in there yet.
The thing about the RX3 centerstand frame mounts is that they are actually left over mounts from the manufacturing and assembly line, IIRC. They were not intended for their current use, so the weight bias front to rear is not optimal for lofting the rear wheel. All things considered, they are definitely better than nothing and I'm happy to have them. I usually just apply a little lift to one of the rear cases to get the rear up when I want to spin the tire. When changing tires, I just stick a prop under one of the side cases to hold it while I mount and balance the wheel assembly.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #779

I'm going to weld up a folding "stick" with pads on the ends to put between the swingarm and ground. I'll make up a way to hang them on the top case lid, or maybe under the seat.

I'm not sure it's better than nothing, it *may* reduce ground clearance a bit, maybe not, beyond just the mount points. And right now it's interfering with sidestand use, though that may just require re-learning.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #780

The location for the center stand IS NOT MADE accurate or for the CSC stand.
They are made for the L brackets that come with the bike - CSC might not give them free like the USB etc or who knows why in the USA you don't get the parts free like everywhere else in the world. (they are not expensive)

I have the stand you speak of and I showed my local Zongshen dealer and the stand wouldn't quite fit his brand new bike as the pin/mount was a little of needed a slight grind, yet fitted my bike and another easily.

Don't blame CSC the stand maker or Zongshen directly as the location wasn't intended to be used this way or made so perfectly (I suspect many areas will have a fair bit of tolerance between each bike etc)

I hope that my front brake caliper bracket will suit all bikes but I suspect I will need to make a couple options with a 1mm difference to catch the slight inaccuracy thru the bikes and customers