Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Ohio street legality

Hello any fellow members from OH. Is this bike STREET LEGAL to drive on the road? I don't want to purchase if it isn't.

https://www.killermotorsports.com/rp...dirt-bike.html

Reason for Editing:
Okay so, I ended up just now calling the local DMV / BMV, they said some odd shit about the mirriors, head lights, and get this, it has to have a wind shield! What the bleeeeep! So....well...I really want this bike to work on the road as I am broke and it is the only bike I can afford. Is there an aftermarket windshield by any chance that I can install onto the bike when I purchase it? :'(

Also does this bike have a VIN number and a FMVSS sticker anywhere? If anyone is in OH and managed to get this bike actually registered and street legal, I would be really, really blessed if you could help me out get mine street legal!

Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #2

Here's a list of states that people had success. http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....77&postcount=1 But FYI that bike is not in stock there.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #3

Motobuy has the green Enforcer in stock. and is 49 state legal. Call before you to make sure it is still in stock because they may gone quick. http://www.motobuys.com/db-08-200-rkta.html
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarwolf View Post
Hello any fellow members from OH. Is this bike STREET LEGAL to drive on the road? I don't want to purchase if it isn't.

https://www.killermotorsports.com/rp...dirt-bike.html

Reason for Editing:
Okay so, I ended up just now calling the local DMV / BMV, they said some odd shit about the mirriors, head lights, and get this, it has to have a wind shield! What the bleeeeep! So....well...I really want this bike to work on the road as I am broke and it is the only bike I can afford. Is there an aftermarket windshield by any chance that I can install onto the bike when I purchase it? :'(

Also does this bike have a VIN number and a FMVSS sticker anywhere? If anyone is in OH and managed to get this bike actually registered and street legal, I would be really, really blessed if you could help me out get mine street legal!
VIN is stamped on a plate affixed to the head stock. It is important that the MCO/MSO says motorcycle and not dirt bike....ARH

Old 04-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

Dear JerryHawk250, I thank you for the wonderful advice! Sadly, I would not be able to get the Enforcer, as the link I provided, I can use Affirm and without the assembly, it has me pay a down payment of $320, which I can perhaps get away with, compared to a $450 on the Enforcer. I saw that it said Ohio was successful, does that mean it is road worthy in OH?

Dear Ariel Red Hunter, Thanks for the advice as well! May I ask if the MCO/MSO says that it is a motorcycle or not? How would I be able to find this out before I purchase the bike as I can't return it if it's based on street legality.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #6

Jarwolf....
Just be very careful taking the word of any of the online CB sellers unless it is someone with a solid reputation and well documented from members of this site --- then you are safe...otherwise too many of these "whole sellers" will tell you whatever u need to hear. ....

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Jarwolf....
Just be very careful taking the word of any of the online CB sellers unless it is someone with a solid reputation and well documented from members of this site --- then you are safe...otherwise too many of these "whole sellers" will tell you whatever u need to hear. ....
Thank you for the advice! May I ask what you suggest?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Dear JerryHawk250, I thank you for the wonderful advice! Sadly, I would not be able to get the Enforcer, as the link I provided, I can use Affirm and without the assembly, it has me pay a down payment of $320, which I can perhaps get away with, compared to a $450 on the Enforcer. I saw that it said Ohio was successful, does that mean it is road worthy in OH?

Dear Ariel Red Hunter, Thanks for the advice as well! May I ask if the MCO/MSO says that it is a motorcycle or not? How would I be able to find this out before I purchase the bike as I can't return it if it's based on street legality.
When you buy the bike, you just tell them it has to say on the MCO/MSO that it is a motorcycle, and not a dirtbike. Even if you tell them, sometimes they get it wrong, so read it when you get it to make sure it says motorcycle. If it doesn't, call them back and tell them (again) that it has to say motorcycle on it. You want all of the paperwork correct before you go to DMV the first time...ARH

Old 04-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #9

Thumbs Up

I'm in Ohio as well. Bought a Magician that is due here tomorrow morning. From what I gathered Ohio BMV website. Is the following.

What Do I Need to Bring to the Title Office?

APVs and off-road motorcycles purchased on or after 07/01/1999:

• Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  • If titling from another state, certificate of title in applicant's name or assigned to Ohio resident (if applicable)
  • For out-of-state titles only, an out-of-state vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection; inspections can be obtained at any Ohio deputy registrar license agency (click HERE for current fee) for or new car dealership (call ahead for fee)
  • Payment for title fees, including a lien holder notation (if applicable)
  • Sales tax on purchase price (sales tax rates by county are available HERE)
Also, it is possible for a dirt bike to be plated and legal for street use in Ohio. I'm not sure about the windshield aspect though. Its the law in Ohio for a Temp. MC. License to wear Helmet and goggles. I feel like goggles and a windshield is kind of a pointless combination. IMO.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #10

I got my Magician registered here in Tennessee with no problems. Went right through.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #11

In other words, just when you think you paid it up , the check writing party just continues at the insurance, inspector, and dmv.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
In other words, just when you think you paid it up , the check writing party just continues at the insurance, inspector, and dmv.
Basically yeah.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingWrench View Post
I'm in Ohio as well. Bought a Magician that is due here tomorrow morning. From what I gathered Ohio BMV website. Is the following.

What Do I Need to Bring to the Title Office?

APVs and off-road motorcycles purchased on or after 07/01/1999:

• Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  • If titling from another state, certificate of title in applicant's name or assigned to Ohio resident (if applicable)
  • For out-of-state titles only, an out-of-state vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection; inspections can be obtained at any Ohio deputy registrar license agency (click HERE for current fee) for or new car dealership (call ahead for fee)
  • Payment for title fees, including a lien holder notation (if applicable)
  • Sales tax on purchase price (sales tax rates by county are available HERE)
Also, it is possible for a dirt bike to be plated and legal for street use in Ohio. I'm not sure about the windshield aspect though. Its the law in Ohio for a Temp. MC. License to wear Helmet and goggles. I feel like goggles and a windshield is kind of a pointless combination. IMO.
I thank you so much for the information! Yeah, I believe the BMV in Lancaster told me it needed a windshield which I thought was absurd. Perhaps I heard her wrong, hopefully so. Yeah, I got to call the people who sell the dirt bikes to make sure the MCO says Motorcycle.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
I thank you so much for the information! Yeah, I believe the BMV in Lancaster told me it needed a windshield which I thought was absurd. Perhaps I heard her wrong, hopefully so. Yeah, I got to call the people who sell the dirt bikes to make sure the MCO says Motorcycle.

Shouldn't really matter I don't think. You can get it converted to MC title later. I think.

I'm in the process of getting my MCO at the moment I will let you know whats up when I get there. So far though from all I've gathered everything should be smooth. Although I am prepared to pay for 2 titles. 1st to get it reg. to the state and then the 2nd to convert it to a MC title.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #15

Quote:
hey i have a Hawk,took paypal receipt for sales tax mco and had the title is five minutes,then off to license plate easy to obtain.