Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #1

CSC takes on Japan ADVs

Nice small ADV shootout on motorcycle.com.
They rode the RXR, rather then the RX3.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...t-adv-shootout
One thing bugs me:
The CSC website claims the RXR has almost 25hp, while motorcycle.com lists the RXR at a little over 20HP. Maybe a typo at the magazine.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 12-07-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Add spec comparison.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

They also griped about no rear rack. Overall it did pretty well. They sounded fair

Old 12-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #3

It was a good read but, as seems usual, in the comments section the RX3 was hardly mentioned. Looks like the biggest obstacle facing the RX3 is getting over the "Chinese crap" way of thinking most people have in this country. Well, I'm satisfied with mine and that's all that really matters.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd1959 View Post
It was a good read but, as seems usual, in the comments section the RX3 was hardly mentioned. Looks like the biggest obstacle facing the RX3 is getting over the "Chinese crap" way of thinking most people have in this country. Well, I'm satisfied with mine and that's all that really matters.
It’s really getting better though, as far as the Moto journalists go. They seem to take the bike seriously, whether they like it, love it or hate it.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:03 AM   #5

I'm guessing it's a 25hp engine by itself/no 'mechanical losses', 20hp after it goes through the transmission, down the chain and to the wheel... all with a bone dry chain, out of spec valves, and crap fluids in the crankcase

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #6

Azhule os correct about the RXR horsepower. The CSC site lists hp measured at the crankshaft. Motorcycle.com sent me a message that they list rear wheel horsepower.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #7

I thought it was a fair test. No, the CSC suspension is not the greatest BUT....I'd like to see what the Japanese could come up with for 3500.00. According to my latest buyers guide, new 60cc dirt bikes are almost 5k.

For the life of me though I'll never understand why they (not just this shootout but most) have an Enduro (true dual sport) up against ADV bikes. The ADV bike is more of a scrambler and more street oriented than the light weight and huge suspension travel of a dirt bike with lights.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #8

So I don't mean to be a rabble rouser here but had the CSC had the issue that the Kawi had with the kickstand switch would they have been so understanding and blamed the conditions and not just chalked it up to chinese junk... guess we will never know. I do know is the CSC was not laid on it's side to make a trail side fix.

Just an observation.

CBM (my new replacement to BLM)

Old 12-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
So I don't mean to be a rabble rouser here but had the CSC had the issue that the Kawi had with the kickstand switch would they have been so understanding and blamed the conditions and not just chalked it up to chinese junk... guess we will never know.
I think everyone is already used to Kawi and the shoddy Kickstand/Neutral Switch faults, it's just common knowledge to bypass it the first or second time the bike cuts out for no reason while riding

It's really funny how that safety switch is still shutting off brand new Kawi's... can't they figure out a fix already?!? Easily been happening for over 25 years on their "dual sport/adventure bike" range

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #10

No, rear wheel horsepower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Nice small ADV shootout on motorcycle.com.
They rode the RXR, rather then the RX3.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...t-adv-shootout
One thing bugs me:
The CSC website claims the RXR has almost 25hp, while motorcycle.com lists the RXR at a little over 20HP. Maybe a typo at the magazine.
They measured all three bike’s horsepower at rear wheel on a dyno. This is what really matters. Not HP at the crank.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
They also griped about no rear rack. Overall it did pretty well. They sounded fair
I bought the CSC rear rack for the RXR when I purchased my RXR.
Without the rack, you cannot really carry much on the RXR.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #12

RXR has no kickstand switch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
So I don't mean to be a rabble rouser here but had the CSC had the issue that the Kawi had with the kickstand switch would they have been so understanding and blamed the conditions and not just chalked it up to chinese junk... guess we will never know. I do know is the CSC was not laid on it's side to make a trail side fix.
Just an observation.
CBM (my new replacement to BLM)
My RXR does not have a safety switch on n the kick stand. Very disappointing!

Old 12-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #13

I dumped MY RXR and bought a Versys-X 300

I was very disappointed with my purchase of the CSC RXR last year. So I sold it and purchased a new Versys-X 300 for $4,495.
The Kawi is much, much better than the RXR!
I don’t have to change the oil and filter so often and the valves only have to be adjusted every 15,000 miles!
Instead of doing maintenance on the RXR, I’m out riding my Versys!
No need to look back!

Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #14

Other than a few min changing oil, (yes, the valves are a pita) why were you disappointed in your RXR?

Old 12-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
Other than a few min changing oil, (yes, the valves are a pita) why were you disappointed in your RXR?
Come on AD, he owned it for a grand total of 73 hours. That's all that was needed.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350