Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

Gio beast 200 aftermarket performance shocks.

We installed these shocks (from Gio bikes) front and back on my sons Gio beast 200 about a week ago.

They look good out of the box. I tested the pressure, and found that they were all different, so I equalized them with compressed air.
Installation was straightforward. They are a direct replacement, and bolted right up.

Installed on the front, you could tell immediately that they were going to be far better than stock. The spring rate is way softer, and feels just about right. Damping action feels good.

The rear bolted up just as easily, but the spring rate here is not ideal. Whereas the fronts were softer, the rear is stiffer. Stiff enough that my son was not able to compress it with all his weight. If i put all my weight on the back, there was little movement.

This job was precipitated by a catastrophic failure of the stock rear shock. 8O
With about 3 hrs on the new rear shock, we were pushing the ATV up the driveway with the rear dragging on the ground once again. We thought there must be something wrong with our machine, to destroy 2 rear shocks so quickly, but it turns out that the bottom shock mount just came undone from the shock rod.
This is when we decided to try the old spring on the new shock. The fit was not perfect, but close enough. The rate seems good, balanced front to back, and the damping feels good.

I'll take a few pics when i get my camera working again, but in the meantime, we'll continue testing, and report back.
So far, we're very happy with these performance shocks

Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #2

Great report.

Be nice if I could get some better shocks for the smaller ones. They are like rocks and fire the rider around when hitting bumps. My little one got launched off her 110cc for this reason. Sounds similar to what you're saying about the 200cc.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #3

Did you buy them in an auction or at a fixed price? Since my rear Beast shock is intact, would you recommend replacing it or leaving it alone?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #4

Since my sons rear was totalled, we were planning on buying just a new stock rear. John at Giobikes worked out a deal for us on the performance set, as long as we would do a review.
Let me look at our broken one tomorrow, and see how it comes apart. If you can re-use the old one, you should. The one that comes with the aftermarket shock is far too stiff.
The funny thing is, with the spring off the new one, I checked the damping, and it didn't feel very good. Once the spring was on, and it was installed on the machine, bouncing it up and down, it felt really good. I can't explain why.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y
The funny thing is, with the spring off the new one, I checked the damping, and it didn't feel very good. Once the spring was on, and it was installed on the machine, bouncing it up and down, it felt really good. I can't explain why.
I think we know the answer... :roll:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #6

Tell me then.
I've rebuilt, and modified shocks, and never seen one do that before.
It could be velocity related, but it just seemed odd.
No complaints, though, it works well with the softer spring.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #7

I just mean that some of these Chinese shocks don't do much at all. The new shock I installed on my son's bike didn't dampen a bit. He basically had just a spring. It was crazy over bumps; it would continue bouncing long after it should have recovered.

In your case, I think that the shock is being crutched by the coil, IMHO. As long as this new shock holds together and provides the ride you need, you're ahead.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #8

No, the rebound damping is quite good. Thats the odd part.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #9

Can't speak for the big ones, but I know my 110cc is really squishy on the back, but the fronts are hard and just send the thing bouncing and out of control.

The 50cc is really hard on the back and even with my 280lbs on it feels like a brick. They both could definetely use better shocks.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Can't speak for the big ones, but I know my 110cc is really squishy on the back, but the fronts are hard and just send the thing bouncing and out of control.

The 50cc is really hard on the back and even with my 280lbs on it feels like a brick. They both could definetely use better shocks.
If we could find a source for lighter springs, we could rebuild the shocks we have. In your case, have you tried mixing and matching the shocks to get the right combo? That kind of experimentation is free. Maybe the combo of front 50cc shocks and a rear 110cc shock would be the ticket.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #11

I haven't really considered that. I will have a look at them to see if they are the same length. They probably are.