Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #1

ATV Battery Connection Discussion

Hey Forum,

Over the past few weeks I have been around 3 Gio ATV's being assembled and 'broke in' -- two I have assembled and one was done by my brother in law. Two of these units have managed to wiggle the negative battery cable hardware, and toss them into neverland. As I'm sure many of you have put similar atv's together, what have you done to keep this from happening?

My 110cc Mini Beast's connections are as tight as the day I installed them. The 50 dropped the negative one today, and the positive was loose as well. Now I KNOW I tightened them both up real well, as I assembled it after witnessing my brother in law's drop his a week before.

My concern here is this little hardware is not easy to come by! The Gio's come with a little bolt and a rectangular piece of metal with a thread in the middle, this acts as a clamp on the underside of the battery 'post.' I did not want to loctite this as I just had something needling me telling me not to around the battery.

How have all of you either installed your battery cables so they don't come off? ..and if you've had them fall off how have you re-installed them 'better'.

My problem is finding hardware small enough, and today, much to my perfectonist, do things right personality, just bent the circular end of my cable and shoved it inside the terminal to make contact so my little girl could ride it still. Not happy with that, and I'm hoping I can bend it back to clamp it in properly once I have the hardware.

Interested in your thoughts...

Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #2

I think you'll find that a normal nut of the same thread size will fit in the recess occupied by that square nut. It might start to turn as you tighten the screw, so wedge it temporarily with a fine bladed screwdriver to stop it turning while you fully tighten the screw.

What worries me is the amount of vibration the battery must be subjected to so as to loosen the connections. I have never known that to happen. You could try to fit a spring lock washer under the head of the screw, although batteries are not normally fitted with any form of locking washer.

Perhaps you could also try to pad the sides or at least the bottom of the battery with some dense foam, if there's room, to isolate the vibration, otherwise that battery will have a short life.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 06-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #3

I am quite surprised they come loose myself...and it doesn't seem to be a 'one of' situation as I said in my intial post my little nephews 110cc Hummer did the same thing.

The battery terminals themselves are quite small, I will try to find some better hardware. I would mention there is some sticky foam around the battery, it came that way, but apparently it's not enough.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #4

More foam couldn't hurt.

Do you have a photo of the battery terminal? That might help us provide a solution.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a drop of Loctite 242.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #5

I will try to get some photos tomorrow.

I did hit up the Can-Am dealer up here and grabbed some smaller hardware. I went to change it today but found my 'farmer' repair is holding the cable in alright and just left it for today as the 110cc has more pressing issues..