Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Chinabike ATV?

Hey everyone, Just a newbie here
Im considering buying my first chinese made ATV
I've been riding a while now, Riding Yamahas and a Honda at one stage.
But now I want a little ATV as a project bike, To toy around with.
Because this bike is gonna be tinkered with alot, and modded, Im not gonna go out and buy a $3000+ Big brand quad Used.

Im from Australia BTW and was wondering if anyone had seen or heard of this Quad
It comes with a Loncin 125cc engine, 3 spd Semi automatic trans including Reverse, 800ml oil capacity, 3 litre petrol tank, Electric start all that jazz.

Anyone ever used a loncin motor before? any good? Powerwise? reliable?
any must do upgrades before anything?

Thanks in Advance

Old 06-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #2

There's a post somewhere on here by "TheRealWorld" I believe, which gives a lot of details about the Loncin motors. I believe they are Yamaha clones. I have a 300cc Loncin (liquid cooled) in my Taotao utility ATV- only had it a few months so far, so I can't give an opinion as to longevity yet....but in general, most of these better Chinese clone engines are based on the good old reliable Jap engines. Good old simple technology- and are usually quite bulletproof.

I have no worries about Loncin or Lifan motors.

The things you do have to worry about, are: The auto tranny (the Chinese manual trannys are pretty good- I've heard that the autos can fail ...especially if lugging around an adult). Probably O-K for little kids...may be iffy for adults.

The primary thing to look at on these Chinese ATVs are the electrical system and the frames/suspension. The quality on those components can vary wildly from one manufacturer to another.

The electrical system on my Taotao is a nightmare...literally falling apart from the day I got it(new). Thin wires and weak connections.

I'm with you though- I can't justify spending $3K or more for a Jap bike, just to get me around my 27 acres. A Chinky bike for around $1300 is almost always a good deal.

My big Taotao cost $1900- and was not worth that price (horrible electrics...welds misalligned by a quarter of an inch or more in places).

For the price of most 125's...they're almost always a good deal...but I'd think the auto tranny would be the weak link, especially if you're going to mod and/or ride hard (these bikes will not take abuse).

You can probably find a sturdier 250 ATV with a manual tranny for just a few dollars more than the 125...which wouldn't require as many mods to get the same performance...and would be sturdier (the 125's are primarily intended for children, I believe).

There's an adolescent poster here even, who grew tired of his 125 right away, and is always looking to mod it.......and whom I believe is in the mkarket for a new bike already. I'd look for a 250 if I were you.....for a few dollars more, you get much more bike.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyDonkey
There's a post somewhere on here by "TheRealWorld" I believe, which gives a lot of details about the Loncin motors. I believe they are Yamaha clones. I have a 300cc Loncin (liquid cooled) in my Taotao utility ATV- only had it a few months so far, so I can't give an opinion as to longevity yet....but in general, most of these better Chinese clone engines are based on the good old reliable Jap engines. Good old simple technology- and are usually quite bulletproof.

I have no worries about Loncin or Lifan motors.

The things you do have to worry about, are: The auto tranny (the Chinese manual trannys are pretty good- I've heard that the autos can fail ...especially if lugging around an adult). Probably O-K for little kids...may be iffy for adults.

The primary thing to look at on these Chinese ATVs are the electrical system and the frames/suspension. The quality on those components can vary wildly from one manufacturer to another.

The electrical system on my Taotao is a nightmare...literally falling apart from the day I got it(new). Thin wires and weak connections.

I'm with you though- I can't justify spending $3K or more for a Jap bike, just to get me around my 27 acres. A Chinky bike for around $1300 is almost always a good deal.

My big Taotao cost $1900- and was not worth that price (horrible electrics...welds misalligned by a quarter of an inch or more in places).

For the price of most 125's...they're almost always a good deal...but I'd think the auto tranny would be the weak link, especially if you're going to mod and/or ride hard (these bikes will not take abuse).

You can probably find a sturdier 250 ATV with a manual tranny for just a few dollars more than the 125...which wouldn't require as many mods to get the same performance...and would be sturdier (the 125's are primarily intended for children, I believe).

There's an adolescent poster here even, who grew tired of his 125 right away, and is always looking to mod it.......and whom I believe is in the mkarket for a new bike already. I'd look for a 250 if I were you.....for a few dollars more, you get much more bike.
Thanks for the heads up, Im still keen on getting the 125 and modding it, and the bike itself, but i'll also be upgrading within the next year or 2 so its not much of a worry.

After reading this I know its good to know I have mates that are sparkeys and welders.
I've also being working on a Homemader cooling system for the bike, won't be as good as watercooling but it'll work.

Just got a few questions though
Where the hell is the battery mounted? I'll put some pics up
Do chinabikes generally have a fuse for the electrical system?
would running a Halogen lightbar and sound system of the battery call for a bigger battery?
Do these bikes come with a charging system?
could a standard car battery be used as a replacement for the chinese one without blowing the starter motor on any other electric bits?

http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/28/e0/1300_10.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/28/e0/11c8_10.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/28/e0/0c36_10.JPG
http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/28/e0/0bd6_10.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/28/e0/11c8_10.JPG
http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/28/e0/1289_10.JPG
http://i15.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/28/e0/0b76_10.JPG
http://i24.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/30/90/61b0_10.JPG

Should I give them a go or steer clear?
Also considering buying a cheapo quad and fixing up, currently looking at all options

Old 06-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #4

No on the car battery, Maybe a lawn and garden battery. The wires and etc will not handle much....Basic machines Looks ok fit and finish seem pretty good..The welds You can see seem smooth enough.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
No on the car battery, Maybe a lawn and garden battery. The wires and etc will not handle much....Basic machines Looks ok fit and finish seem pretty good..The welds You can see seem smooth enough.
Thanks for the warning, Its good that I asked LOL, but still leaves questions unanswered, Maybe someone around the forums has an idea, I've been looking on chineseatvparts and most the parts on this bike and the website seem pretty generic, For a chinabike that is

Old 06-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #6

The lawn and garden battery will most likely not take the bouncing of an atv. You need to stick with an motorcycle/atv battery or a gel cell.

Allen

Old 06-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
The lawn and garden battery will most likely not take the bouncing of an atv. You need to stick with an motorcycle/atv battery or a gel cell.

Allen
Gel-cell=Alarm Battery.
Well when insurance companys ask we'll stick to the story of "You guys didn't ask us if we had a working alarm system"

Old 06-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #8

That looks like a nice bike. Did you check the dimensions to make sure it's big enough for you? (The 125's are usually not full-size).

Don't think there'd be anywhere to fit a car battery. I don't think it'd be a problem otherwise though...as it would offer a lot of storage capacity, and yet no more juice would go through the wiring than the system would normally draw.

Battery on that bike should be under the seat, in a little molded-in well in which it just barely fits with barely a millimeter to spare. (Some have them above the left rear wheel in a steel frame with a plastic cover...but I don't see that on this one).

Yes....these bikes do charge.....but the batteries are pretty small, and the charging system is minimal. And yes, most do have a fuse.

These bikes are good if you're just looking for a cheap ride, and not planning on riding hard. I use mine almost every day just for transpoirtation/light work around the farm, and they serve me well.

As far as modding though.....these bikes do not offer all the aftermarket parts like they have for ther Jap bikes- and they are pretty "minimal"- i.e. anything you do, like adding a lot of electrical accessories, etc. will generally require a lot of ancillary mods for which parts probably don't exist and may or may not be modifieable for.

If you were just going to use the bike "as is" I'd say go for it...but if you're wanting to do a lot of fancy mods (other than the most basic things like a better exhaust or carb) you might be better served by a used Jap bike, for which replacement and aftermarket parts are readily available, and which are tougher and can more easily handle extra strains.

For what you intend to do, you'll end up putting a lot of time and money into this bike, and probably not have what you are looking for. Although it is hard to go wrong, when you can probably get that baby for around US$700-$800. And the Jap bikes aren't "all that", especially when they';re used and beat.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #9

The charging systems on these bikes are not going to be able to keep up with the amount of draw I think you are intending to use. Even the jap atvs would be marginal.

The stator gives enough to run the electrical system and some minimal lighting with alittle to spare for some other things. A stereo system will run the battery down fairly quick even with the atv running.

Allen

Old 06-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
The charging systems on these bikes are not going to be able to keep up with the amount of draw I think you are intending to use. Even the jap atvs would be marginal.

The stator gives enough to run the electrical system and some minimal lighting with alittle to spare for some other things. A stereo system will run the battery down fairly quick even with the atv running.

Allen
I'm wondering if they make high-output stators for the Jap bikes, if one wants to upgrade their charging system? (Even if they do, and even if one could find one that would interchange with these clone motors...I doubt they'd make such an option for a 125....)

Sounds like Alex needs something along the lines of a Can-Am Traxtor! (I went to look at one of those once....it was like barely one step below a truck! I think the darn thing had an alternator! Kinda defearts the purpose of having a BIKE if you ask me!)

Old 06-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #11

I had thought about him adding an alternator to run the extra load.

Also the stator is barely putting out until you get about 3k rpms.

Allen

Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #12

Did I read the fuzzy label in the quad pic's correctly? I think it said no rider above 40 kilograms? That is only 90 pounds!

As far as the charging capacity, here are some charge current measurements for my 150cc quad with an higher output 8 pole stator (6 poles are more common). Note that the battery was fully charged before this test:

Engine Idling, no headlights: Battery is discharging at 0.3 amps
Engine Idling, with two headlights on: Battery is discharging at 3.0 amps
Engine at about 3500 RPM, no lights: Battery is charging at 3.5 amps
Engine at about 3500 RPM, with two headlights on: Battery is charging at 0.2 amps.

This backs up what Kataoranger said. Note that the maximum available current with headlights off is just about 3 amps at high RPM. The stator on the 125cc is likely to be less, and maybe far less.

I measured the above currents by popping out the main fuse and inserting a 10 amp current meter in its place. BTW, all quads with electric starters as received from the manufacturer have fuses, circuit breakers, or fuse links of some sort. Otherwise the quad would be a rolling fire hazard. Even my puny 7 amp hour battery can put out 150 amps into a short circuit - more than enough to cause instant fire in a wire harness.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #13

Here is a really good article on ATV charging systems:

http://www.g-forceconsulting.com/A_p...ng_systems.pdf

Its a bit technical, but interesting none the less.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Did I read the fuzzy label in the quad pic's correctly? I think it said no rider above 40 kilograms? That is only 90 pounds!

As far as the charging capacity, here are some charge current measurements for my 150cc quad with an higher output 8 pole stator (6 poles are more common). Note that the battery was fully charged before this test:

Engine Idling, no headlights: Battery is discharging at 0.3 amps
Engine Idling, with two headlights on: Battery is discharging at 3.0 amps
Engine at about 3500 RPM, no lights: Battery is charging at 3.5 amps
Engine at about 3500 RPM, with two headlights on: Battery is charging at 0.2 amps.

This backs up what Kataoranger said. Note that the maximum available current with headlights off is just about 3 amps at high RPM. The stator on the 125cc is likely to be less, and maybe far less.

I measured the above currents by popping out the main fuse and inserting a 10 amp current meter in its place. BTW, all quads with electric starters as received from the manufacturer have fuses, circuit breakers, or fuse links of some sort. Otherwise the quad would be a rolling fire hazard. Even my puny 7 amp hour battery can put out 150 amps into a short circuit - more than enough to cause instant fire in a wire harness.
Haha, 40 kilos loading weight on the racks, 120 Kilos on the seat
I'm running everything off a yellowtop optima marine battery, The bike is on the way and im already building a weatherproof audio system, lightbar as well as various electrical things, Gotta a sparky of a brother to help out, Basically keeping watch making sure I don't screw up
I've also acquired a welder, this should be handy