Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2018, 03:08 AM   #1

Amstar Nostalgia 49

I don't have uses for a 50cc but this looks fun.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

That engine can be easily upgraded with a big bore kit or replaced with a larger engine up to I think 190cc.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

There's a pitbike on my local CL with a 150cc horizontal motor and an oil cooler right now. It would be the perfect donor.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-13-2018, 01:48 AM   #4

I'm really liking the other 'retro' they offer.

I know that it's based on the Honda Cub. What's interesting is that it also has the two holes forward of the shocks that aren't being used. These also show up on the conversions to electric that are offered now. Here's an example posted by Imapdog;
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...pasties&page=3

So that begs the question; are these Honda Cub frames that have been converted or did they copy the frame so much that they included holes that don't get used?

There's a better look at the bike at Extreme. I haven't found where it's offered anywhere else, though.

https://www.extrememotorsales.com/xc...gal-retro.html

I'm real curious as to what that ginormous speedo looks like. None of the videos nor the website shows what it looks like on either bike.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Last edited by david3921; 08-14-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #5

It’s really hard to see details in those pictures ,but I am not totally convinced it is cub based and not ct90 based .The main “difference” between the two frames ,is the gas tank area ,a cub has a gas tank that fits completely inside the frame under the seat ,you lift the seat and the tank drops inside the frame ,while a trail 90 frame is shorter under the seat area and has an external tank under the seat .There are certainly other differences ,but looking at the pictures it does appear to be a cub clone but it is hard to see with my ancient eyes how the tank area has been accomplished .I have a few of both bikes here and can get some pics if you would like as I am moving them this week .

Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #6

I could be wrong but I was basing it upon some of the custom cubs I've seen on the web. The two holes in front of the shock are showing up on these. Here's another example;

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cub-surfboard

But even that one is a Chinese clone.

Of course, Honda might have used the frame elsewhere as I've seen Cubs that had different frames.

BTW, Boom offers an example of the bike in the first post. It doesn't have as many spokes and has a different color scheme. It came up here;

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...highlight=cl90
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 01-24-2024, 03:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
It’s really hard to see details in those pictures ,but I am not totally convinced it is cub based and not ct90 based .The main “difference” between the two frames ,is the gas tank area ,a cub has a gas tank that fits completely inside the frame under the seat ,you lift the seat and the tank drops inside the frame ,while a trail 90 frame is shorter under the seat area and has an external tank under the seat .There are certainly other differences ,but looking at the pictures it does appear to be a cub clone but it is hard to see with my ancient eyes how the tank area has been accomplished .I have a few of both bikes here and can get some pics if you would like as I am moving them this week .

It's challenging to definitively identify the bike based on the pictures, and I appreciate your attention to detail regarding the gas tank area. Your expertise with both Cubs and Trail 90s will undoubtedly provide valuable insights. If you could share some pictures of your bikes during the move, it would be immensely helpful for a more accurate comparison. Your firsthand experience will likely shed light on the subtle differences between the frames, ultimately resolving the uncertainty. Looking forward to seeing the comparison photos, and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:17 AM   #8

Sorry ,but I no longer have any cubs ,this thread is 6 years old and I have not seen anything more about the bikes the thread was asking about .
If it helps ,google search a trail 90 gas tank and a cub gas tank ,you will find the trail 90 tank is a body coloured unit ,while the cub tank is black and sits inside a part of the cubs body and frame and totally unseen unless you flip the seat to fill it ,and from a distance the areas under the seat of both bikes visually resemble each other .
Hope that helps a little .