Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2023, 06:52 AM   #1

Broken Tachometer 2021 Venom X20

Hey all, I just acquired a Venom X20 with 240 miles on it. The tachometer does not read at all on the instrument cluster (but the bars are visible when the tach runs through its startup routine). The left turn indicator light also doesn't work (but the turn signal does) The wiring and wire harnesses under the headlight and the right side of the bike all appear to be in good shape...any suggestions on what to do next? The kill switch also does not work...If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them! I've already learned a lot from this forum..

Old 05-27-2023, 07:25 AM   #2

I would start by confirming all of the harness and connectors are indeed intact. Loose or pushed out pins can cause issues like this. Sometimes easily found by visual and hands-on inspection, but also easy to find with a simple continuity test using a multimeter.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:30 AM   #3

Just pulled out my old multimeter...it's analog with no continuity setting...time to buy a new one, lol!

Old 05-29-2023, 05:39 PM   #4

Based on Megadan's advice, I fixed the tach wire, which appears to be broken somewhere inside the main harness. I just connected a wire from the speedo harness to where the blue/white wire exited the harness, and it seems to have fixed the tach and the kill switch. At least it seemed so when the bike ran, lol! It had an intermittent starting problem that now seems permanent. If I bypass the blue/red wire (two of them enter the harness at the headlight, only one exits) I can get the bike to crank but not fire up. When it did start before, it started right up fine...are there often multiple broken wires in these harnesses? It seems unlikely.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:23 PM   #5

I finally got it running. I turns out there were a couple of broken wires...inside the harness. I took the harness off, cut it open, and traced all the wires. Turns out the tach/kill switch wire and an ignition wire were both broken. I also fixed my broken left turn signal indicator by pushing the turn signal wire further into the harness that plugs directly into the gauge cluster. Maybe this can help somebody in the future...

Old 03-07-2024, 03:52 PM   #6

yep, my Neutral light quit. tracing thru the wire diagram, hit the "wire" with 12 v TA DA bulb ok (witout taking the headlight apart ) found a Moley connection that was
intermittent, just attached new m / f connection ---> fixed
Wiring can be such a headache